Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

SEAMASTER???

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

SEAMASTER???

Old 01-07-2004, 11:05 PM
twostroke
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SEAMASTER???

What is the differance between the Ace Seamaster and the Thunder Tiger Seamaster they look the same.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:39 AM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: SEAMASTER???

The original Ace was a kit. The Thunder Tiger is an ARF.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:58 AM
twostroke

I thinking of getting either a Mariner or a Seamaster what do you guy recomend getting and also which flys better. I can't wait to fly one but I'll have to wait til spring the water is a little hard now. There is a big lake here begging me to slam a plane into!!
Old 01-08-2004, 09:13 AM
vinnie

The Seamaster does well on snow so don't wait for the spring(?)thaw(?). The Mariner is is much more money and not as pretty - that's all I know about it. [8D]
Old 01-08-2004, 02:33 PM
ArthurR

I've had two Seamasters and I like their good flying habits, easy to fly, easy to land, and they look very nice in the air.

The bad is they leak water and shed their covering.

If I were to buy another, I'd take special precautions to seal the fuse against water, and find a way to route the exhaust out the back with something like the exhaust tubes www.flyquiet.com sells for 10 bucks.

Overall, a nice looking and nice flying plane. Will do aerobatics.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:31 PM
twostroke

I see the Ace and the Thunder Tiger are both ARF's is one better then the other?
Old 01-08-2004, 04:39 PM
tpstorey

I'm fairly sure they are the same thing. Thunder Tiger bought out Ace.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:54 PM
xvz12

Hi! The leaking & shedding you speak of - is this a trait of the ARF, or Seamasters in general? I'm in the process of scaling up a set of RCM plans to 1.20 size, & i'm trying to soak up as much info as I can.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:50 PM
dirt dummy

I have built both the seamaster and the lanier. I like the seamaster better its a faster build. I had no problem with the covering untill last weekend, Flying of ice on the pond!

Old 04-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Andrew Ditchfield

How is the scaling job going? Were the RCM plans of a seamaster or of a similar plane? I am interested in the seamaster as well, but would like something a little bigger. I don't mind scratch building and I have had success generating plans with ModelCAD, so I am interested in how it is working out for you.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:16 PM
xvz12

I've got the plans scaled up all right....just waiting till I get my workshop set up. I've been out of the hobby of about 10 years, & just recently getting back into it. The kids are all out of the house now, so I'm taking over one of their bedrooms, just haven't had time to get stuff stored & moved into the other extra bedroom. Soon as I get that done, & my new workbench built, I should be able to get started cutting balsa.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Dragonjohn
My Feedback: (5)

dirt dummy,

That, is a beautiful plane! I recently ran across a kit in the bottom of a guy's basement. and finnaly think I've borrowed the plans.(their in the mail) what did you cover it with? did you seal the bottom? I plan on starting this kit when the plans arrive, any tips?

Thanks in advance!

John
Old 04-09-2004, 12:14 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll want to add a thin layer of fiberglass to the hull, that water is awful hard, and can really pack a wallop on that flat bottom.

Also, in the kit, the floats are made to be removable, and it is designed to have detatchable wheels.

Skip both steps... Glue the wingtip floats on (Or you can have problems with them falling off) and skip the Landing gear altogether. If you want to fly it off land, it works great belly sliding on the grass.

There's a video of a Seamaster taking off and landing on grass in this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=153
Old 04-15-2004, 12:55 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thunder Tiger did buy Ace and the two planes are the same but for coloring. The T.T.version comes in three color scheme's, great plane.

There is another one called the "Neptune" by Power-Line Hobbies.
This is a ARF built from lazor cut parts almost identical to the Seamaster.
Same tail, same wing float design but taller, same wing but uses two aileron servos, same pod, tank and cowl, fuse is built lighter but very nice. The main difference is that the Neptune is not amphibian.

I have one but haven't built it yet, still debugging my Seamaster twin.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:22 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Default dirt dummy

dirt dummy,
Great pictures, please tell me how I can post pics here too.

cumputer dummy
Old 04-15-2004, 04:45 AM
dirt dummy

Default RE: dirt dummy

If you don't have an FTP you need to put your pics on a picture hosting site. There are free ones out there, I don't know of any names because I use a FTP. Once they are hosted you just click on the image button in the RCU post and put in your pictures URL. [img][/img]
ORIGINAL: Carlos Murphy

dirt dummy,

cumputer dummy
Old 04-15-2004, 07:14 AM
Yakumo

@ msn u can put up 3 Mb of pics per e-mail adres.....
Old 11-09-2004, 07:32 PM
vc7300

Need detailed info on waterprofing thr ace seamaster.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:07 PM
magyarbacsi

All that I read about the Mariner prompted me to buy one. I'm not a novice nor an expert and have been flying off-and-on for over 10 yrs including planes I've put on floats. Either I have lost my touch or the kit (ARF) Mariner is a lemon, but I have not had more than two short flights and two not so graceful landings. The Model itself was not as impressive as what I have read. The rough wood fiber almost protruded through the covering in some areas. Should have sanded before covering. Once I got it off the water it was tricky to level it out and each time you changed throttle setting the attitude dramatically changed. During my last flight, the engine, a Royal 46, quit as the plane was flying into the 10-15 mph wind, just about 5' above the water. Stalled and nosed down. The not so graceful splash snapped the pod and damaged the wing next to it. Second time this happened so I'll have to make another bod and rebuild the wing. So a combination of not so user friendly kit and a motor not running well has forced me to have a negative feeling toward the Mariner.

In the process of finishing an T.T Seamaster. What a difference in the finish. Nice and smooth and the little imperfection in the covering(the Mariner was plagued with it) wa easily ironed out. From the looks of the construction, I think the Seamaster will be a better flier. Maybe a bit heavier but the flat bottom of the Seamaster will be easier to lift off the water and the wing is semi -symmetrical as opposed to the Mariner's full symmetrical (warped) wing. The Mariner took a lot of up elevator and a long run to get it up. Be ready to release the elevator after lift-off or it will climb straight up, stall and come back down.

Also have a Seamonster on the way. Of the three, I've only flown the Mariner. Will strip it down, sand it, re set the wing incidence that was way off and get a better motor. Thats also on the way.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:21 PM
magyarbacsi

Nice looking as well as a great shot. I have noticed that the stabelizer on yours as well as others I've seen has an extra support attached to the fuse. I thought this was a a weak spot and did the same also, but used aluminum wing brace. What did you use, music wire?
Old 11-10-2004, 08:24 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Carlos, hit "reply" at lower left is "click here to upload" you can upload 4 pics per reply as long as each reply is less than 3MB total

Don
ORIGINAL: Carlos Murphy

dirt dummy,

cumputer dummy
Old 11-12-2004, 05:07 PM
Dart373
My Feedback: (2)

Here's mine. I love it. Its missing the engine cowl, but now has it on there. .61 Magnum 4 stroke. I love it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29623.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	192493  
Old 11-21-2004, 08:32 PM
wski

Help, I just purchased a Seamaster ARF seaplane kit , But it came with no assembly instructions-plans and the shop said they have none. Is their a set of plans or general instructions available, I am new to the sport but ready to get started! Thanks [email protected]
Old 12-01-2004, 09:31 PM
Bill Teller

On mine I sealed up the LG & front wheel steering rod holes & the wing saddle with silicon caulk. the hull was sealed by mixing epoxy with about 15% pure alcohol & pouring it inside &sloshing it around. so far no leaks at all!!
( Thunder Tiger ARF)
Old 12-08-2004, 01:17 AM
Bank Right!
My Feedback: (24)

Hi,
Saw your plane (seamaster) very sweet! Do you by any chance have plans for this beauty?

Thanks,
Mike
Kodiak Alaska

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.