Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Cessna 177 on Floats???

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Cessna 177 on Floats???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 02:04 PM
magyarbacsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cessna 177 on Floats???

With the Magnum 91 4 cycle is plenty powerful for this plane. The Saito 100 will be more than enough. Might even get it to hang on the prop for a second or two. I have mine mounted sideways and the muffler can be rotated away from the fuse. The Saito 72 was not as flexible and was tighter near the header. The 100 probably has more clearance.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Woody 51

Many thanks Jim. Understood now. It's something I have never needed at my flying field, but will probably need for flying off water as the available landing space is more limited.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Meschmidt
My Feedback: (15)

Do ya'll think a good running OS 60 fp will fly this plane ok? Paul
Old 01-11-2006, 07:16 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do ya'll think a good running OS 60 fp will fly this plane ok? Paul
Yes, it will. Might take a little longer to get off the water, but use flaperons and you will be fine.

Jim
Old 01-12-2006, 07:03 AM
Woody 51

Paul, a guy named SNJ, in another thread dealing with the trike gear version of this same model, has fitted a plain bearing Magnum .65 2 stroke in his Cessna C177.

He reports that the motor is more than adequate.

You can view a video clip of the model in action with the Magnum up front at:

http://media.putfile.com/Cessna56

The OS .60FP should be fine.

Old 01-29-2006, 06:17 PM
mburton

I have been flying electrics for the last few years and hope this query doesn't sound too inane. I'm about to order the Modelfly Cessna 177 from Falcon and have a question about the engine. What is the trade-off between using a 4c or a 2c for this plane? I was considering powering it with a OS FS-91 Surpass 11 or a Saito Fa-91S AAC Special, both 4 cycle and hadn't really considered a 2 cycle. Any thoughts?
Old 01-29-2006, 09:25 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an OS 91 in mine and I love it. It is a bit tight getting it in but with a little patience it slips right in. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 01-31-2006, 03:50 AM
Woody 51

From what I have been reading in the 3 or 4 threads that are on this site about this model, I guess its a matter of choice.

.61 2 stroke/.91 4 stroke use seems to be around 50/50, though the .61 2 stroke may be easier to actually mount. Weight wise favours the .91 4 stroke slightly.

In a review on this model on a British site, they used a .72 4 stroke. The report said it was easy to install and stated that it flew just fine with this engine.

Here are 2 links to 2 seperate videos of this model. the first one is of this model with trike gear undercart powered by a .65 plain bearing Magnum 2 stroke and the 2nd one (on floats) by a .91 4 stroke (brand unknown)

http://media.putfile.com/Cessna56

http://www.andersh.com/rc/video/cessna.wmv

The 2nd one is a large file and may take some time to download, but it is worth the wait.

Then make up your own mind.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:50 PM
telstar

Hey guys,

I was just given one of these planes to me as a gift. I will fly it this weekend of the local R/C lake, but unfortunately I did not get the instructions with the plane. I have no idea what the recommended control throws are or where the CG is..

I tried the Falcon site, but see that it is no longer active.

Can any of you help me with the setup of this model and perhaps give me any tips for flying it off water.

Thanks!

Sean
Old 04-13-2006, 04:15 PM
red head

I'll try to help but I must admit that I can't find my plans to the Cessna. If memory serves me right and I'm pretty sure on the CG but the throws I'm not sure of.
CG = 85 - 90 mm I believe mine is set at 85mm fairly sure.
Ailerons +- 12mm
Elevator +- 18 mm
Rudder +- 28mm
At least it's a starting point, hope it helps. By the way Falcon is out of bussiness and there isn't a distributer in the States right now, we are hoping someone will pick it up. You can do a search to ARC Italy, or Modelfly Italy and get some info and you may be better at it then I am. I did find some places overseas that handles them -- for what thats worth.
ENJOY !!! RED
Old 04-13-2006, 06:02 PM
telstar

Red,

Thanks a million for getting back to me so quickly. I will use your figures as a starting point..

Small world!!! I just looked carefully at the pictures of I_FLY_COOLERS model and it appears I have his very airplane! Same engine, color scheme etc. If he is reading this perhaps he will chime in and let me know how it flys!

Thanks,

Sean
Old 04-13-2006, 07:53 PM
red head

telstar --- You will like the Cessna it's a fun plane. Mine is hanging up right now haven't flown it for awhile, need to put the battery back in and take it out again. I have the floats for mine and that is a blast. I will warn you about one thing. This plane WAS NOT designed for aerobatics. It will do them but if you do be carefull. I folded a wing when I first got mine ( didn't crash but scared H#%% out of me ) you could see the wing tips try to get togeather, then flax back into position.
The reason for it is that the wing joiner ( between the 2 halfs ) is only about 6 " long, it should be about a foot to really support that wing. The company ( ARC ) said they won't do anything about it because the plane is semi scale and not supposed to do aerobatics. So --- take it for what it's worth, I'm on my 3rd wing because I play TOOOO hard with it. I won't now because there isn't any place to get another wing.
All that aside, it's a great plane and I'm sure you will ENJOY it. Lets hope someone else will start selling them here in the States.
ENJOY !!! RED
Old 04-18-2006, 12:57 AM
I_Fly_Coolers
My Feedback: (7)

WOW!! It IS a small world!! My Cessna was one-of-a-kind so if it looks like mine, then you are correct. I sold my Seaplane to Bob's Hobbies here in Orlando. I spent a lot of time building and detailing it, just to have it hang on the ceiling for 6+ months. I never flew it. Ran about 5-6 tanks of 15% Cool Power through it on the ground. Every time I finally made it to a lake something happened..first I couldn't get the engine running reliably. After a couple more tries, the last time out, I was all ready to go, my buddies were there...had a camera....ran the motor warmed up the engine, checked everything.....ready to go....and....some #$#$@!!! in a 20' boat decides to do full throttle circles in the middle of the lake which WAS smooth as glass. Very annoyed, I left....and back on the ceiling ot went. I had a few hangar queens and finally decided to sell all the planes I wasn't flying regularly.....Steve said he flew my Cessna a few times and it flew great. He said he added another aileron servo to play around with flaperons. I left all the instructions, and the tricycle landing gear with the plane when I sold it.
ORIGINAL: telstar

Red,

Thanks a million for getting back to me so quickly. I will use your figures as a starting point..

Small world!!! I just looked carefully at the pictures of I_FLY_COOLERS model and it appears I have his very airplane! Same engine, color scheme etc. If he is reading this perhaps he will chime in and let me know how it flys!

Thanks,

Sean
Old 04-18-2006, 06:59 PM
telstar

Thanks for info COOLERS!

I need to call up there to Bob's and see if I can get the landing gear/ instructions sent down. It is a small world! I have been buying stuff from Bob's since 1990 when I was in College. Bob was there as was Ron Parchment, who was the owner of Progressive Model Aviation (#704 1/12 scale combat).
I haven't been there in quite a few years but my brother picked this plane up for me as a birthday present! Pretty cool.

Anyway, I do have good news to report. I took the plane out to our local lake early Sunday morning. Range ched the plane, fueled it and did a test run. I noticed that the carb was ultra sensitive to adjustmensts. Only one click either way made a big difference, so that may have contributed to your stalling issue. The idle adjustment was just on the lean side but I decided to leave it alone as I was able to let the plane idle for about a minute and then throttle up without the engine stalling.

I have uploaded a video of my first flight for you all to see. This is only second takeoff from water EVER. You will see me chasing the plane for a few seconds until I got used to the rudder which was more effective than I thought it would be! I waited along time before lifting off and I must say that I was amazed at how the plane handles on it's floats.

My landing was a little fast but there was little head-wind and the idle was set a little high as I didn't want to stall it. NO ROW BOAT!

Anyway enough Blab! Enjoy the video.

Coolers: You did a really nice job putting this plane together!

Sean

LINK: http://media.putfile.com/Cessna-177-on-Floats
Old 04-18-2006, 07:48 PM
red head

telstar : I take it that the settings worked out OK. Sounds like you had fun. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 04-18-2006, 08:15 PM
telstar

Red!

Yes, thank you very much for your help. I went with your settings and they were perfect! This really is a nice flying model and I can't wait to fly it again!

Regards,

Sean
Old 04-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Idahoplane

I has been a while since I was on the site and thought I'd send some pictures of my Cessna as I promised. I had to change to jpg and hope the pictures are attached.

I saw the video of I Fly Coooler's plane. How cool is that! I have not yet fitted my plane with the floats. I plan to take it up to Idaho this summer to fly it off the lake. It is a big lake (Priest Lake) so I won't have problems with planes or frequences.

As a land plane, it flies great at our altitude. I replaced the ABC .75 engine with a Supertigre .61. The .75 muffler was to close to the body and started melting the area near the muffler. The new engine works better and doesn't cause that melting effect.

It was surprising to see the plane do an edge with little to no difficulty. I don't thing after read Red Head's article that I will attempt the edge with floats.

Thanks to all who assisted me with advise over the process. I will take more pictures when I put the floats on and fly it at Priest Lake. By the way, the lake is big enough and it handles the real float planes easily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bz78947.jpg (1.27 MB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg
Jf11820.jpg (1.27 MB, 58 views)
Old 06-11-2006, 01:20 PM
399dan
My Feedback: (23)

Hi there !

Do someone would tell me what size of propeller work the best on this airplane with a os .61fx 2 stroke ?

Thanks.

Danny.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Woody 51

A 12 x 6 or 12 x 7. Even then you will probably get the odd "bite" at the water from it. You will hear it when it does, but don't worry, it won't do any harm.
Or you could try an 11 x8. However the taller diameter will assist in getting off the water a little quicker.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:03 PM
telstar

Funny this thread should pop up again!

Just this morning I took the Cessna out for 2 more flights. With the ST .75 it balances out a little nose heavy so I added a little weight to the tail. It responded beautifully and lifted off much easier and landed much much slower. On the second flight flew it inverted and also dicovered it flys knife edge! In fact, it will climb on the rudder!! I love flying this plane. :-)

Sean
Old 08-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Idahoplane

Hello to all! Finally flew my Cessna off the lake in Idaho. What a thrill! Usual problems with boats in the area, they like to come in close and watch. Experienced several structural problems that I fixed after two days of flying.

Could not figure out why when the plane came up on step during take off and I gave the plane power when it had a tendance to pull (bounce) left prior to becoming airborne. Found a front bolt and screw missing that became fish bait some time during flight, when? don't know. Believe it occurred on my second day of flying. Maybe to much vibration or bumpiness on the water. After finding this, I inspected everything. Found the front and rear support bars between the floats loose. The apoxy did not hold. Corrected this by placing one screw from old servo mounts into each mounting bracket. I recommend changing the regular nuts and bolts on all the support arms that connect to the floats as they were loose, too. Use a more reliable nut that has the plastic insert that won't allow the nut to back out.

Once the problems were corrected, it took off like a dream. It beats flying at the club's field. No one accidentally turning on their radio causing your plane to crash and plenty of space to take off and land. Only one other person who fly's off this lake. The has an 80 mile shore line so you have plenty of places to fly from. This plane does do a knife edge with ease. I installed a Super Tigre 61 and it has more then enough power.

The plane does get a lot of attention on a lake. Be careful for boaters. Good luck and thanks to those who got me ipointed in the right direction to make it happen.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Woody 51

Idahoplane.
Any chance of a photo of the areas of concern that you had to fix/modify? The front bolt and screw that went missing was from which area?
Also the areas where you put the additional screws.

A good idea to substitute standard nuts with nylon lock nuts. I once had a Kyosho Stearman that was supplied with dozens of metal nuts and bolts to attach the wings etc onto the cabane struts. I substituted them all for nylon lock nuts and cap screws as those standard machine screws and nuts would have eventually vibrated loose, with possible disasterous results.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:56 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick question.

Do you put the water rudder on one float only?

Is there just the one rudder in the pack?
Old 08-30-2006, 07:06 AM
Woody 51

Yes, the ARC Float kit only has 1 water rudder in the kit. It is meant to go on the rear of left hand float and is controlled by a "push pull" wire system. However some prefer to use a "snake" rod, linked to the rear of the rudder.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Idahoplane

Woody,

I flew the plane several times.

The front left mount screw came out. Fixed the problem by using nuts with plastic inserts to make certain the bolts would not come loose again. I did it to all the bolts on the floats.

Developed another problem. The epoxy I used did not hold well with the front and rear stablizer bars/poles after several take off and lands. Couldn't figure out why th eplane kept going left on take off. Helps to check everything frequently. Tried to use a servo screw into the mounting bracket and bar. The fiberglass could not take the landing pressure and the bar stripped on both bars making the floats unstable, again. I have to try something different.

Outside of of the floats, I had to correct the water coming into the carb. Outside of that, the plane flew great and lots of idiots like to park in your landing area to watch it take off and land. Oh well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.