Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Cessna 177 on Floats???

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Cessna 177 on Floats???

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Woody 51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cessna 177 on Floats???

Thanks Idahoplane
Epoxy on ABS plastic is a concern to me and epoxy on the nylon type plastic parts in the kit will simply not work.
I read elsewhere in one of the many threads on this model, that PLASTICWELD type cement is probably best for this kit. It contains MEK and when applied to both surfaces, it effectively welds the 2 together once they are joined.
TESTOR'S liquid plastic model kit glue (comes in a glass bottle and is applied via an applicator brush) would be a possibility.
Thin CA will do much the same thing.
Please keep us informed of how things pan out.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:01 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When I built mine, CA (thin and medium) was the recommended adhesive everywhere except for joining the wings and it worked perfectly.

Jim
Old 09-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Idahoplane

When I return to Idaho next summer and prepare the plane to fly again, I will try your recommendations. It is mental strain to watch when the floats are not stable and the plane begins a hard left when you in take off speed. Yahoo! Thanks guys.

For now I will fly my SE5A Scout bi-plane on land in Colorado. Keep the wind in front of you.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:08 AM
pbjones81

If any of you gentlemen are willing to part with your Cessna 177 let me know. Over the last couple days Ive seen some videos of the Modelfly cessna and love how it flies. I just recently learned to fly and I'd like to get one as my second (that I can fly) plane. While Im on this subject, my instructor was Greg Shane of www.2ndrcflightschool.com in Little Rock, AR. He was excellent so if anyone in this area is wanting to learn, give him a call...he is great. Anyway, back to the plane, my wallet cant really afford to get one brand new right now (and they are hard to come by as you know) so lemme know if you decide you need some extra garage space etc. thanks guys and beautiful planes...
Old 01-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Idahoplane

The cessna 177 can be purchased at HobbyPeople (www.hobypeople.net) and you can order on line.

They have three planes. The Cessna 177, Beaver and the Ready. Each one will vary in price. The key issue to these planes is purchasing an engine that fits it properly. Several recommendations were made to me after I learned the hard way. I finally put a Supertigre 61 in the Cessna. I have recently purchased the Ready which I will put a Supertigre 51 engine in. I found out that with the muffler system, the pipe exhaust from the engine head extends out enough so the muffler is away from the plane's body. This is key and some other engines might fit this purpose. Do some research and check with other Cessna pilots for suggestions. There's a lot a information out there.

As for selling the plane, someone might reply to your request. I can't see why someone would want to sell such a fine flying plane. If you haven't flown off water, carefully look at sights that explain the process. Its not difficult. The process is not like on land as you have to take off slower to get the floats on "STEP." This is getting lift under your wings so the forward portion of the floats run mostly on the water. At this point full throttle can be applied. It is easy to understand when you see or do it the first time. Practice.

Check it out the web site I mentioned above and happy/safe flying.

Nick
Old 06-15-2007, 06:23 AM
Woody 51

Anyone got any further news or reports on this great model?
Old 06-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Bill Rademacher
My Feedback: (77)

Well, I have flown one off water for 4 years now, with a Saito .91.

It is a great aircraft. All I do is wipe it down, tighten some bolts now and then, etc. and fly.

Mine is the standard blue color scheme. I put stripes under the wing to aid visibility.

I routed the water rudder out the rear landing gear leg opening, and used a braided nyrod, instead of the pull pull.

Sweet
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32879.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	707702  
Old 06-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Austin1234

hey can anyone help me i got a Cessna 182 RTF model i rlly want to put floats on it now do the floats connect to the rudder or they just standard

plz need help going to purchase some tomorrow well look
Old 06-24-2007, 06:36 PM
Austin1234

hey i have a cessna 182 rtf and i want to put some floats on it i need some help do these float hook up to the rudder or they just standard i have a 2channel
and how big do u think the float need to be wing length 38 length 29
Old 08-15-2007, 05:36 PM
siddus74

ORIGINAL: Bill Rademacher

Well, I have flown one off water for 4 years now, with a Saito .91.

It is a great aircraft. All I do is wipe it down, tighten some bolts now and then, etc. and fly.

Mine is the standard blue color scheme. I put stripes under the wing to aid visibility.

I routed the water rudder out the rear landing gear leg opening, and used a braided nyrod, instead of the pull pull.

Sweet
Bill,

love the picture of Cessna on floats, I have almost finished putting mine together, only the stickers todo . . . in the instructions they suggest some water and a drop of washing up liguid - please tell me (or anybody else) how did you put the stickers on? Did you use the suggested way with the washing up liquid or just go for it with a steady hand?

Best regards. . .
Old 01-30-2008, 12:09 AM
tc4595

Does anyone know where i can buy a cessna 177 arf from falcon.....ive looked everywhere and have found nothing.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:22 PM
jrf

Hobby People is the new distributor. www.hobbypeople.net They have the Cessna and the float brackets, but they seem to be out of the floats.

Jim
Old 05-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Duayne P
My Feedback: (15)

Hi All,

I think Thunder Tiger bought the Falcon line. The Cessna and Beaver are the The Thunder Tiger web site. Only problam is that there are'nt any prices. Here is the web site.

www.tiger.com.tw/

Got to planes then to sport scale and then to ABS.
Hope it comes out soon.

Duayne
Old 05-07-2008, 07:30 PM
goirish

go with the water method. That way you can move the decal exactly where you want it. I use windex and that works well.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Babblefish7

I love myCessna on floats i have had it for about 3 years or so. But ad things happen. I found there web site http://www.throttlestore.com/planes/...e.aspx?lang=EN

Mark
Old 06-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Crash-RCU

The only trouble with Throttle store.com is with the exchange rate 219 British comes out almost $435.00 US. Too much for me.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:04 PM
jrf

Those prices are in EUROs. 219 Euros = $340US. But by the time you add the freight, it is still way too much.

Jim
Old 06-26-2008, 03:50 PM
braddock VC

Hi, I'm on my third arc cardinal, most of my accidents are hangar rash in cold weather. I've just bought a set of floats and hope to fly off water later this summer. I also have the arc jupiter,low wing job.
At present inwoodmodels.co.uk sell the cessna for £99.99 about $200 they will post abroad.
With regard to engines I've flown mine with a Thunder Tiger GP61, laser 70 4 Stroke (the exhaust started melting the bulkhead) Saito 82 and Irvine 61. The irvine was far and away the most effective with a graupner 12.5x5 grey prop but the saito was not too far behind. The laser was fine but I replaced it with the TT 61 GP due to the heat problem, the TT was, as I recall, as good as the laser, I only sold it as someone offered me the same price I bought it new!
I used hysol epoxy to join the various parts and, as one member metioned, plasticweld will repair small cracks very efficiently. Zap ca odourless also works very well.
The only changes I've made to the basic design is to hold the tank support in with a servo screw at either end as heavy landings, at which I am excellent, can cause the fus to flex.
I've never had any sign of wing flex and I've really thrashed mine, that isn't to say it doesn't happen, I am not able to see it.....
Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 AM
ninjo

Hello
I'm looking for picture original hydroplane "Cessna 177 Cardinal with float". No model!!! Only real hydroplane.
THX for links(pictures).
Old 01-15-2009, 06:38 PM
scriztin64

Ive had my ARC Cardinal on floats for about 5 years but now im moving away from the lake .. Does anyone know where to buy the tricycle landing gear? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Its not even available from the parts area on arc modelfly's website.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:25 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scriztin64 ; Exactly what parts do you need ? I kept some parts from a crash and may have what you need.

Also, where are you in TX? I check the forums a couple times a week or you can PM me. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 05-11-2010, 12:27 AM
robwil

I have just started the build on a Thunder tiger 177 with floats, going to use an OS81 4 stroke to move it along. Cant wait to get this done and get it in the air!
Old 12-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

After seeing a ARC/Modelfly Cessna 177 on floats years ago I have always wanted one. Several months ago I found one on Craigs List located in my neighborhood! It had only been flown several times and I got it for $150 with a Thunder Tiger .61 Pro, all Hitech 635 servos, Hitech Electron 6 RX, battery, landing gear, instructions complete. The carbon tube between the floats was cracked due to a rough landing by the previous owner. The bolt that holds the front gear attachment had come loose and apparently it had a rough landing but no other damage. I drilled out the old tube and found a replacement with the exact OD at my LHS. I then used Loctite on all the landing gear bolts. It was so new the motor wasn't even broken in and the whole plane looks brand new.

I'm primarily a 3D flyer so this was way different than what I normally fly but I love it. Most of my other models are profiles and hard core 3D planes. This Cessna is a refreshing change for me. The TT .61 runs perfect now that it has a half a gallon fuel thru it. IMHO, a .61 2C has plenty of power for this scale model. I use a flapperon mix on the ailerons for takeoffs and landing but don't notice the benefit like on my other smaller float plane. Maybe it needs more deflection added? I try not to push it hard with aerobatics but it Knife Edges amazingly well! There seems to be very little current information on this plane but there are quite a few videos on You Tube. I will never sell it and treat it like a jewel.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:48 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jimmy: It's a shame these planes never went over here in the states. As far as I'm concerned they were all good ( Except the powered glider ) and I've flown them all. Especially liked the Cessna on water or land.

I did find on the floats that the mounting plate for the cross bar and landing gear mount needed to be modified. The screws don't go into anything but thin plastic and foam. I opened the screw holes and put larger wood pegs in the holes with a " LOT " of epoxy, never had another problem. I do agree about putting elastic lock nuts on the landing gear, even if it is a very old hint.

Mine are all done flying, all that's left are some spare parts I stripped off. I do still have one Jupiter that could be worked on and flown, but I have to many planes now , don't need another one right now.
ENJOY !!! RED
Old 12-27-2010, 01:15 PM
399dan
My Feedback: (23)

Hi !
Could it be an interesting plane to convert to electric power ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.