Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Lanier Mariner 40 MKII ARF 62"

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Lanier Mariner 40 MKII ARF 62"

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:39 AM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lanier Mariner 40 MKII ARF 62"

OH!!!! thank you, thank you, thank you. I am building a seamaster 120 and want to use that covering scheme. I have hunted high and low. Really appreciate it.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:59 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking maybe the SeaBird was the one. A big, heavy foam wing, POS. No other way to describe that thing.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Pistol Pete

to goirish...much obliged...now you know you have to share your final results!!!!!

I just finished my super sporters EP stock yesterday...could not pass up for $105...maiden flight today...crossing fingers.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:27 AM
goirish

Will do. I have a magnum 180 4s - so it should be plenty of power. I modified the horizontal stab with vertical fin on each end top and bottom. I was told that it has some adverse yaw effects. Hopefully this will correct that. Waiting now for more coverite fabric to get here so I can finish the base covering. Hope the maiden goes well, just keep it in the air. Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Mustang Fever

goirish:

Who sells the Seamaster 120?
Old 04-25-2008, 01:57 PM
goirish

This was a lady in Ohio that I was going to buy a set of plans from. When I got there she said I have a seamaster 120 started that you can have. I believe it is discontinued. I do have plans if one is interested. 3 sheets and would be about 17.00 copying charge plus the shipping.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Strykaas

Bob, here is the link.

http://www.mra-boutique.com/catalog/...ge.php?pID=546

The plan is VERY good quality.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:02 PM
goirish

Thanks to good old TH the covering arrived today2 day servicenow get my wife to start covering.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Strykaas

It has a 71'' wingspan.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Mustang Fever

Stryk:

Great website. I think this is the same size as the Bob Sweitzer one. I wonder if they are the same. The Sweitzer plans are known for being well drawn and very complete.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Strykaas

Yep, they are probably the same. Were Sweitzer's plans once published in any American RC magazine ?
Old 04-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Mustang Fever

Stryk:

Fred Novack runs a plans service in Michigan. Before he got the business, they were handled by a guy named Sid Morgan. No mention of a magazine.

The plans service is at: http://www.vintagercplans.com/main.htm

Old 04-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Strykaas

Here is a video where the MRA Catalina is featured, well I'm pretty condifent. The builder obvioulsy cheated with the a dihedral wing.

http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/hydral...yenne/5002957/
Old 04-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Mustang Fever

Yeah, looks like he adapted an old sailplane wing, doesn't it? I loved that Marchetti. What a magnificent beast.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:17 AM
Wine Country Flyer
My Feedback: (5)

Pistal Pete-That new-in-the-box Mariner a MK II? Is it for sale?
John-The Wine Country Flyer
Old 05-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Pistol Pete

sorry bud...
although its still in box am looking forward to flying this baby this year...been busy with heli for now.

definitely going to experiment going electric with it using A123...will post when time comes.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Wine Country Flyer

Ah, shucks! I was hoping you'ld part with it. Damn Tower, as you probably know, discontinued the Mariner after buying Lanier. Guess that's how they deal with the compatition. Buy 'em and shut 'em down. The first Mariners had their faults, for sure. I lost my first one due to the elev. halves coming apart at the joiner. Doing my favorite manuver-45 degree dive at full throttle-about 10 feet above the water I would level out. The last time I did it, I heard the flutter, had no control and she went in ! I expected to find the elev. horn or clevis broken. As it turned out, they glue the elev. halves to the wood joiner with CA. Water seeped under the covering in time and ate the CA letting the side away from the horn break loose and flutter. And of course I didn't have a safety cable on the engine, so it's at the bottom of the lake. Any way, the fix for the next one was to simply use two control rods on the elev. Moral of the story is almost every ARF needs something done here and there before getting airborne. My current Mariner has been flying for three years and doing fine with the mods I've done to it. It's just really sad that Tower has discontinued a great looking and flying plane. Here's what it looked like after gathering all the pieces, except the engine pod. "Come on now-You sure you don't want to sell your prize can't get anymore Mariner ?? Just kidding-if I had one, I wouldn't sell it either.
John-The Wine Country Flyer
Old 05-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Wine Country Flyer

Oops-Forgot to start from the reply button and couldn't post the pic.
John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58309.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	955816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78282.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	955817  
Old 05-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Mustang Fever

John:

I know a hobby shop/bait shop in Michigan that has one on the shelf, but I don't know if it's a I or a II. The box isn't all dusty or anything, so it might be a II. If you like, I can put you in touch with the place.

I love mine. Best waterbird I ever had.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Wine Country Flyer

Bob-Thanks for the reply and offer to help. At worst, mine will only need re-covering down the road. I'll just stick with it.
Thanks again-John
Old 05-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Pistol Pete

hey..I know that maneuver!!!!!...definitely contagious.

but sorry about lost and thanks for sharing.

I wonder if you still have the same favorite maneuver or are you going to work on a new one?

Unfortunately Tower does have its peeves. add to insult they have nothing to replace it. Its a love-hate relationship with those folks...hate what they do but love the prices...and they know it.[sm=punching.gif]

They still have corsairs but reviews are not that hot due to short nose...kept CC in wallet for that one.

I always liked the mariner just never got to it until the super discount tower had to which I also was able to pick up the SE 5A EP, nice quality but none of my lipos fit it[]...and the reason still in box as well.[8D]

I have intentions of coating inside with thinned out epoxy to give wood some moisture protection. Definitely will be looking into that double throw elevator tip.

Hey you know you want to fly one again...get that one in michigan.[>:]

Old 05-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Wine Country Flyer

ORIGINAL: Pistol Pete

hey..I know that maneuver!!!!!...definitely contagious.

but sorry about lost and thanks for sharing.

I wonder if you still have the same favorite maneuver or are you going to work on a new one?

Unfortunately Tower does have its peeves. add to insult they have nothing to replace it. Its a love-hate relationship with those folks...hate what they do but love the prices...and they know it.[sm=punching.gif]

They still have corsairs but reviews are not that hot due to short nose...kept CC in wallet for that one.

I always liked the mariner just never got to it until the super discount tower had to which I also was able to pick up the SE 5A EP, nice quality but none of my lipos fit it[]...and the reason still in box as well.[8D]

I have intentions of coating inside with thinned out epoxy to give wood some moisture protection. Definitely will be looking into that double throw elevator tip.

Hey you know you want to fly one again...get that one in michigan.[>:]

http://corrosionxproducts.com/?gclid...FQ0MIgodOFeuDA

Yep-Pistal Pete-Ya got me pegged there. I let that favorite manuver fall down the priority list quite a ways. Now I'm working on knife-edge and 4 point rolls. And a really fun one is to try and make the SMALLEST splash or ripple while doing a touch & go. (splash & dash) And I do have one in the hangar now. Been flying it for over a year. A friend assembled it, (ya don't build an ARF) I put the maiden flight on it for him to trim it out. Then he crashed it, fixed it. I put the second maiden flight on it for him, trimed it out. Flew just great. Then he crashed it again and gave it to me. I repaired it, been flying it ever since. I did have one scary issue with it, though. I hadn't put the dual rods on the elev. yet, was only up about 2 or 3 minutes, when the other elev. half came loose at the hinges. He hadn't put enough CA on 'em. And to make matters worse the throttle linkage broke from the flutter of the loose elev. half right at the engine.. It's still controlable, though sluggish on the elev. But it's at FULL throttle !! Soooooooo-I had to do loops, rolls and snaps-just anything to help slow it down. Finally it ran out of fuel and landed nicely, no further damage. That's when I went for the dual control rods and she's doin' great. In fact she will see quite a bit of air time tomorrow at our "Memorial Day Float Fly". Then she will see a lot more air time next month at the "Northern California Regional Float Fly" in Red Bluff, Calif. So, get yours together, You're going to love it. Just don't forget the dual control rods on the elev. Make a silicon seal at the wing saddle. A little thined epoxy here and there to help with water resistance. And take the reciever apart, squirt it with "Corrosion X", wait a few minutes then blow the excess off with air. Put it back together. Then give all the servo connections a little squirt of "Corrosion X". And you'll be good to go. Here's the link to "Corrosion X" it's not cheap, but very good insurance.
http://corrosionxproducts.com/?gclid...FQ0MIgodOFeuDA Check out their site. IT's better than W-D 40. And here's a pic of my Free Mariner that still flys like a new one.
John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36837.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	956407  
Old 05-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Pistol Pete

Sweet...yes...assemble it I will do[8D]

mine is yellow..btw.

Have corrosion X...excellent stuff...use it on anything and everthing. House is 22 years old and have same A/C...usually first thing to go are connection fitting to compressor due to dissimilar metals.

Was flying my GP Super Sportster EP...lost elev servo screw...horn came off...15 feet of ground she took a dive...only half wing to repair. Taking off wheel boots as one chipped. Minor engine cowl repair as well.

enjoy your flying and many happy landings.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:18 AM
Wine Country Flyer

Hey Guys-I sent Tower an kinda nasty e-mail about dis-continuing the Lanier Mariner. Didn't even think I would get a responce, but I did. Here's what hey had to say along with my e-mail to them. It kinda surprised me. So, maybe there will be a Mariner in the line-up again. I sure hope so.

Dear Mr. Reade,

Thank you for taking the time to send Tower Hobbies feedback regarding the Lanier line.

We contacted the product manager. This is the reply we received.
We are making changes to the Lanier line. The changes will involve reviewing the product lineup. We are reviewing the planes on a case-by-case basis and changes are made as needed.

We appreciate your time and your business.

-Tower Hobbies
http://www.towerhobbies.com
bat

>>> "JOHN READE" <[email protected]> 5/24/2008 2:23 AM >>>
Dear Tower-Why did you discontinue all the Mariners? They are a great flying plane. They are a great looking plane. Did you just buy Lanier to close down one more competitor?
John

At least it sounds like they might put it back into production. Whadayathink?
John
Old 05-31-2008, 07:06 AM
Pistol Pete

Well...seems like more emails are in order.

Thanks for sharing...and to think I did not bother just because

I already sent them an email requesting to continue the mariner...perhaps the more the merrier?]

On a different note....Is anyone flying theirs "electric"?

How about powered by A123?

This seems to be the route I will follow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.