Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

.25 Size Floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

.25 Size Floats

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 09:24 PM
oceansfiftyseven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .25 Size Floats

I like to build .25 sized planes and am looking for a good set of floats to try. My planes are usually around 3 lbs. I was looking at the tower website and found that the great planes .20 size float kit has a finished weight of just under 2 lbs. That seems like alot of weight to me for a .25 size plane. They also have some geebee 28" floats but do not list the weight. Has anybody built the GP .25 sized floats? Are they really practical for a .25 plane with about 360 sq in wing area? Any info about the geebee floats? Thanks.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:54 AM
oceansfiftyseven

Default RE: .25 Size Floats

Here are 2 examples of what I want to put on floats.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73091.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	519845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63439.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	519846  
Old 09-07-2006, 09:58 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have never built the GP floats but have had the smaller GeeBee floats on many airplanes and highly recommend them, the are rugged, come ready to use with all hardware except a water rudder, good instructions about not only the floats but how to mount them and how to position them in relation to your airplane. They are cheap and work good, what else do you need? I have had them on airplane ranging from small trainers to small pattern planes and funfly airplanes. right now I have them on a GP Dazzler, but use it more on snow than water as I have a few other float planes.

The larger Geebee floats are a nother story, while they are the same design madfe bigger they are flexible and can fold on high sppeed landings. My experience with them has been poor.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:47 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I've also used the smaller GeeBee floats. They work well. At 2 pounds, the GP floats sound way too heavy for a .25 size plane.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:20 PM
oceansfiftyseven

Thanks you guys, it sounds like the geebee's are the way to go.