Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Spectrum DX7

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Spectrum DX7

Old 11-18-2006, 07:18 AM
Newc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectrum DX7

It would seem that the Spectrum DX7 that's discussed here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4887144/tm.htm would be perfect for those of us involved in float flying where there could be someone else 'just around the point' doing the same thing. What does anyone think?
Old 11-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spectrum DX7

I think the Spektrum is the answer to numerous problems/situations. I consider the advent of the 2.4Ghz technology in radio control as a blessing from above. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-28-2007, 10:12 PM
mdflys4fun

Something to think about, I was flying my Vario Benzin heli about $3k worth in a big park by my house. Just finished flying and was walking back to the car when I saw a guy at the other end of the park flying a park flyer. Cool I said and walked over to see what it was till I saw who was flying. It was a fellow club member flying a $100 park flyer on the same channel as me! Need I say any more, I now fly with a DX7 and don’t worry about things like that any more!

Mike
Old 01-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, That has always been my biggest worry. Someone showing up at the field and not checking or caring to see if someone is on the same channel. Iv'e seen it happen time and time again. Those little frequency checkers saved my behind a few times. The technology the DX-7 has, is worth its weight in gold. Cheep insurance for those with alot of $$$$ stuck in their aircraft.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:09 AM
evan-RCU

While I agree in principle with what you are saying there is still the problem that there are alot of us on 72mhz. We still need to be sure what that other person is doing. While it's great that you are flying on safe frequencies how are the rest of us to know? I see a couple of problems with your scenarios. First you are flying in a public park where you could easily hurt someone that does'nt know or understand how dangerous what you're doing is. You should be flying in an organised r/c club that has a designeated flight ares and where general safety guidelines are observed. Do you have AMA? You should, period. At a r/c club you should be required to still peg up to show you have ama and that you are observing club rules, not to mention that there might be a limited amount of flying stations and you should wait your turn if need be.

Spektrum is the future, granted but that does'nt mean you don't have to not worry about the person on the other side of the park.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Newc

Evan - I believe that you are missing the original point that I was making - That DX-7 is the right way to go for float flying since in the vast majority of the cases there is absolutley no frequency control as we are each flying from our individual piers.

Beyond that, to suggest that because someone was flying at a park instead of at a RC field means that they were flying in an unsafe manner is a big stretch. mdflys4fun said that he was flying a $3K helicopter, so I'm going to take it on faith that he knows how to fly it safely. I'll also bet that since the other person was a member of an RC club that he was flying safely too. It is exactly these sorts of situations - as well as at a regulated RC fields (AMA or not) - where the DX-7 and similar technologies wil provide additional safety over anything we have had before.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:39 PM
daveosoar

When they equate with a Multiplex Royal Evo I MAY be interested. The current stuff is for simple aircraft only. (how many mixes? free mixes, expo? dual rates on all separate primary functions?
Then, if no more expensive, I might buy one. My frequency checker with 1 mile range cost £30.00 (approx $55US) Why would I want to expend so many $$ for so little?
Dave.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Newc

7 channels, many mixes, all DR and expo, 20 model memory, impossible to have wrong model selected, etc. etc. plus battgery, switch harnes and digital servos - $349.

No need to use a frequency checker, find out all is OK before taking off, but being shot down when someone turns on a Tx on your channel - The cost of your plane

No worries about frequencies or interference from onboard electronics - Priceless
Old 02-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

I won't fly this summer without a DX7. Saving my pennies.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:43 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The biggest problem I see is the guy with a Spectrum and one or more "normal" transmitters. He will quickly break the habit of checking the board / taking the pin / etc. What happens when he brings out his "normal" transmitter and forgets to check. It will happen to me, and it could easily happen to you.

Jim
Old 02-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Newc

I agree with jrf, and even brought this up at our club's last meeting. What we have decided to do is to have a part of the frequency board dedicated to folks putting their club membership card in a slot for 2.4 GHz radios, just to try to keep us in the habit. Any better ideas welcomed!
Old 02-10-2007, 11:36 AM
jpg0529

At our club, we have Spread Spectrum pins on the frequency board and require Spektrum transmitters to have a tag just as all other transmitters. Been doing this for a year now and it works fine. By still using the frequency board and requiring members to attach their AMA card before taking a pin, we manage to control the number of transmitters out of impound and verify AMA membership.

We are going to have to add more pins for these transmitters this year as more members are now acquiring these radios. Just two of us used the DX6 radios last year and now I know of four members that have the DX7.

Personally, I am converting all of my planes to Spread Spectrum. I have been using my DX7 since beginning of December. Great system.
The Dx6 was fine but the DX7 is far better in my opinion. I use all three types of receivers but have only flown with the AR6000 & AR6100 so far. AR7000 is in my SeaMaster and ready to go.
Joe
Old 02-11-2007, 12:19 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Our club requires the same- you still have to put your AMA card in a slot reserved for 2.4 GHz, but don't have to take a pin. Checking the board should still be a habit of everyone at the club, regardless of what band you're using. To me it's as automatic as checking traffic before I pull out into the street. I have a 9C that most of my planes are on, and I'm not changing any of them, but I just bought a DX-7, and whatever I get from here on out will go on it.