Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

"Sea Commander" floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

"Sea Commander" floats

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 08:10 PM
rogerswin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Sea Commander" floats

I am currently in the process of installing these fiberglass floats on my "Danaflite Super Decathlon". I have nothing but praise for these floats. However, the installation could have been so much easier if the manufacturer had only provided the attachment brackets pre-drilled and with the tabs pre-bent. I was able to do this during my installation, but I have a complete machine shop! The average kit builder who does not have a good drill press with vise, and a couple of vise-grip clamps is in for a difficult time. Trying to make these brackets by using a hand drill would be very troublesome. For the price they sell these floats for, I would gladly have paid another $10.00 - $15.00, or so, to have these brackets pre-made! After studying the instructions, I don't anticipate any further difficulties.

Roger

I just discovered another problem. The screws used to install the brackets to the floats require a SQUARE tip key!! This may be popular in Canada, but not in the USA. I've gone through my machine shop supplier's catalog (J&L) and they don't list any square tip drivers. Now my weekend of building is a total loss. I'll have to wait until Monday so that I may replace all those screws with standard hex key, or Phillips head type screws.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:26 PM
WeLaserCut

Default Robertson screws

The "Square" drive screws you have are called Robertson screws up here in Canada.
I am amazed that a kit manufacturer would be so blind as to include a fastener that can only be utilized in a very small part of the world.
All of our kits use common Philips screws.
The good news is that a Torx bit will fit in the the head of the screw and allow you to use it. I discoverd this at a fly in in California when I found I forgot the correct size Robertson screwdriver back home.
Check your tool box for some small Torx bits.
You can also use a small slot screwdriver that fits between the corners of the square.

I hope this keeps you building.

Peter
Old 03-29-2003, 11:20 PM
rogerswin

Default Climate

Peter,

I thank you for your suggestions, I'll keep them in mind. I was able to locate a hardware store that was open and I'm now in the process of building again, but with replaced screws!

Thanks again,
Roger
Old 03-30-2003, 12:01 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Sea Commander" floats

Even Henry Ford used Robertson screws here in Canada on the Model A. It still hasn't caught on in the US. We'll have to keep trying!
Old 03-30-2003, 05:02 AM
Bud Faulkner
My Feedback: (1)

Default Sea Commander Floats

When I got my floats several years ago sea commander supplied standard phillips head screws. You're right about the brackets...they should be drilled before being bent. You also have to put a rounded piece of wood in the vise at the bend point and bend slowly, if you bend without the wood they will snap...trust me as they say. I ended up making my own brackets to scale as possible based on scale photo's of a cub on floats. I don't have a machine shop (darn it) so I cut them from alum. bar stock on my bandsaw.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	66666_18111.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	40597  
Old 03-30-2003, 04:10 PM
rogerswin

Default Great work!

Bud,

That's a very professional looking job you did there.

Roger
Old 03-31-2003, 05:34 AM
Bud Faulkner
My Feedback: (1)

Default sea commander floats

Thanks Roger, hope you'll post pictures of yours after you get it done.

Bud