Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

*newbie* have some seaplane questions...

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

*newbie* have some seaplane questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 05:09 AM
99GrandTouring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *newbie* have some seaplane questions...

I just saw a seamaster and instantly fell in love with it...
I'm thinking of getting one because I hate haveing to put floats on a plane and I'd really like haveing an amphib plane...

On the seamasters I've seen it says it can have landing gear placed on it, does anyone have a pic of the landing gear?

On the arf, is the hull already watersealed and is there a place for the electronics to be sealed?

Is the seamaster good at areobatics? Nothing 3d type but more like how a stick would perform??

I don't want it to be blazingly fast would an os46la be enough? or should I go for the os.40fx?? Something I just thought of, I have a brand new os.40fp I got from a friend it has never been ran, would this be good for this plane? How would it perform with this engine?

And lastly when seeing a thread asking about the seaMONSTER I noticed someone said it lookes like a seamaster but with the bugs the seamaster has fixed, what bug/problems have you all seen with the seamaster and is it durable enough for snow flying?

Thanks!

p.s my avatar is of my xtra easy with some aircore floats rubberbanded on, there is a lake right below my house and thats where I was (I can walk to it in less than 5 min. )
Old 04-01-2003, 12:04 AM
99GrandTouring

anyone?
I downloaded the manul for the seamaster off thier site.
seems pretty straightforward...

If you do go with the gear what keep the water out of the brass tube? and also how does it do since the nosecone then has the holes in it for the nose gear?

Still wondering if the os.40fp will be ok for it??
Old 04-01-2003, 01:04 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brass tubes go all the way through, so the water just runs out the other side. The nose-gear mount is on the "wet" side of the nose bulkhead, so the only penetration is the nosewheel steering rod.

An OS-40 FP would probably fly it, but I think you'd be happier with an FX.

Seamasters are sweet-flying planes. The only thing I find unapealing about the flat bottom is that if you really really really grease your landing, the flat bottom will still make the plane skip.

Sliding the plane around around when it's up on step is pretty cool until you hook a tip float.

Otherwise, the seamaster has no ugly habits and is fully aerobatic. Enter one in "novice pattern" and you can win if you're good enough.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:42 PM
Schubox

Have seamaster I will sell you. Ailerron came off and turned it into a submarine. Split fuse completely in half, and put small hole in wing. Flew rather well till that happened. I ran a 46fx on my flew great except wanted to climb at full throttle. Also has removeable gear. No time to fix, as I put retracts in a set of floats and am quite enjoying that.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:53 PM
99GrandTouring

I would but like yourself I have no time to build/repair, thats why I'm strictly going with arfs, I barely have time to build and fly them.
Thanks though!
Old 04-01-2003, 11:18 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Default Landing Gear

The brass tubes go completely through the fuselage, so no water gets in from them. On the nose gear, on mine I put Vaseline on the steering cable when I fly it off of water, haven't had water problems with it that way. Mine is from a kit and is an old timer. Flies very well. I put a brace from the tail to the bottom of the horizontal stab and that helped with aerobatics.

I agree that you should go with something more than a .46LA. The OS .46FX would be my choice for a two-stroke. I have a Saito .65 on mine and flying at 6000' is perfect.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:06 AM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

as I am putting mine together, I think I will install the nose gear hardware (not the strut) and put the cone on without cutting it. That way, when I fly off land, I can take the nosecone off and and put the nose gear in place and fly it with no cone. And for water, I'll just remove nosegear and put the uncut cone back on. I'll paint the front wall white so it won't look as funny.

Or, I could just order a replacement cone and have one cut for land use, and one uncut for the water.

Wadda ya think?
Old 04-02-2003, 04:36 AM
99GrandTouring

I was thinking of the dual nose cones as well...

is the hull already sealed? and how well sealed is it?

also does anyone have pics with the gear on? How do the rubber bands hold them on? Does it look cheasy that way?

and is there a sealed compartment for the radio gear?
Thanks!
Old 04-02-2003, 03:59 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

The hull is well sealed. I siliconed the ends of the brass tubes and epoxied the plywood nose just to be safe. The radio equipment sits up high on a shelf so it would be the last thing to get wet. I also avoided cutting out the hatches.