Community
Search
Notices
SimJet Turbine Direct Support Direct support for SimJet Turbines provided here.

problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 01:00 PM
viper1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem ?

My IR Remote Terminal is playing up, when I switch on the ECU, everything looks normal (info menu1), but as soon as I try to go to menu 2, it skips back to the start menu ("IR Remote Terminal from Simjet Denmark K.Jensen etc" ), and reads no data anymore and seems to be locked. Until I switch the ECU off, and on again.
Direct connection or via the IR receiver makes no difference....
Any one familiar with this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Regards ,
GJ
Old 06-10-2004, 07:05 AM
KevinM

Default RE: problem ?

Hi Gert,

I've seen this happen any time the comm link between the terminal and ECU is not good. Since you've already tried hard-wiring it with no improvement, I'd suspect that the battery in your terminal is done.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:29 PM
viper1

Tnx Kevin,

No sorry, batteries are fresh, and checked the cable connections too.
It could be an ecu problem as well, because it looks like I can only acces the status screen, but cant go to the other menu's, for runtime and setup.
Still weird that the unit flips back to the start screen, and doesn't work at all after I press the "menu" button. That's until I switch off&on the ecu.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:17 PM
KevinM

Okay I admit that I didn't really think I'd really get off that easy, but I had to start from somewhere.

It definitely sounds like a comms problem, although it's a little early to blame it on the ECU- does it make any difference if the Tx is not turned on? (What freq are you guys flying on "Down Under" anyways, 35Megs?)

After you've cycled the ECU power does the problem go away, or does it just take you back into the first screen (until you press the menu button again...)
Old 06-11-2004, 08:29 AM
viper1

This is all with the throttle connection not even plugged in the RX. Before I was able to change the settings like glow power & max RPM wihout RX connection. We use mainly 36mHz here btw.
After I cycle the ECU it goes back to the normal screen when you receive data , eg the rpm, egt, pump voltage etc. and it does read this data like normal. until I press a button again and the thing jumps to the "IR Remote Terminal from Simjet Denmark etc" screen and stops reading. I measured every wire in the cable separate (from plug to plug) for faulty connections, can't find anything faulty.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:14 AM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

I have seen similar things like this with Ir television remotes. If a button is stuck or had something spilt on it and it is making a contact, when you press a second button it will do weird things. Just a thought.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:06 AM
viper1

Sorry for the late reply guys,

After I triple checked everything a zillion times, I decided to see what happened after a flight/run. But unfortunately I had to wait a few weekends until the weather was acceptable. After the first run the things works flawless again. These ecu's work in mysterious ways !
Only stupid guess I can make is that the memory chip/IC -thing or whatever lacked back-up power or whatever.[&:]
(Many turbine & ecu manufacturers are probably p...ing themself laughing now..)
Anyway, it works so I'm happy.
Thanks for all your input guys

Regards,
GJ