Community
Search
Notices
SimJet Turbine Direct Support Direct support for SimJet Turbines provided here.

Stuck Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Stuck Solenoid

Had a great day today! Five flights on my Hostspot with a 2300.

However I had to connect the propane directly to the engine, as my propane solenoid got stuck closed after the first flight (Thanks to the GNM regulator, no issue starting it).

Any way to "un-stuck" the solenoid?

Also my starter started to make a strange mechanical whine when running the cool down, but not when starting the engine. Any idea what's up with that?

Old 08-21-2005, 11:45 PM
rcav8tr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stuck Solenoid

Hi Edgar

Glas to hear you had some goos flights with the HotSpot/2300. Fro what I've heard, you haven't had a lot of good flying weather lately.

You could try lubricating the valve with a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil. If that doesn't solve it, let me know and we'll try the next step.

Have you check the o-ring on your starter to see if it is worn or if it has moved away from the compressor nut?

Ed

ORIGINAL: Edgar Perez

Had a great day today! Five flights on my Hostspot with a 2300.

However I had to connect the propane directly to the engine, as my propane solenoid got stuck closed after the first flight (Thanks to the GNM regulator, no issue starting it).

Any way to "un-stuck" the solenoid?

Also my starter started to make a strange mechanical whine when running the cool down, but not when starting the engine. Any idea what's up with that?

Old 08-22-2005, 02:04 PM
Edgar Perez

ORIGINAL: rcav8tr

Have you check the o-ring on your starter to see if it is worn or if it has moved away from the compressor nut?
Will try the 3 in 1 oil.

I have not checked the o-ring, and not sure how to do it. Will check. Any advice on the process?

Thanks,
Old 08-22-2005, 05:33 PM
rcav8tr

Hi Edgar

To check the o-ring, all you have to do is unscrew the front half of the starter housing. Before moving the starter motor itself, mark a line on the motor at the edge of the threading. This will ensure that you can reset the motor to the same depth afterwards. Remove the starer and check the condition of the o-ring. If it is badly worn, simply reverse it and re-install it in the starter bendix.

If this doesn't solve it, PM a phone number and time I can call and talk to you.

Sincerely,
Ed

ORIGINAL: Edgar Perez

ORIGINAL: rcav8tr

Will try the 3 in 1 oil.

I have not checked the o-ring, and not sure how to do it. Will check. Any advice on the process?

Thanks,
Old 09-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Edgar Perez

Hi Ed,

I was able to check/reverse the starter o-ring. Will check if noise disappear on next weekend. They seems to be about 1/2 inch diameter or-ring. Is that correct? Will like to have some spares.

The oil thing for the propane solenoid did not work. Next step?. For now I'm using your regulator direct to turbine with no problem.

BTW, do you have some of the kavan glow plug that comes originally with the turbine. Will like to buy some.
Thanks,
Edgar

PD: See you in Superman
Old 09-05-2005, 03:28 AM
ossie

G'day from downunder,
Had a similar problem with one of my solenoids. Try some silicon lubricant (spray can), it worked for me.
Cheers
Ken
Old 09-05-2005, 07:17 AM
Edgar Perez

Thanks Ken, will give it a try.

Anybody know the voltage to "activate" the solenoid? I want to check it without turning on the ECU.

Thanks,
Edgar
Old 09-06-2005, 12:04 PM
rcav8tr

Hi Edgar

The solenoid will open with 2.5V. I have two AA taped together with leads off each end for testing.

Ed