Community
Search
Notices
SimJet Turbine Direct Support Direct support for SimJet Turbines provided here.

Rebancing turbine

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 05:41 AM
rcdriver22
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebancing turbine

I am looking at a new 18-24 thrust turbine. In discussion with a an 'expert' in turbines (who sells other marks) I'm told that while all Simjets are factory balanced they need to be rebalanced after the very first run. I am a little puzzled by this not coming across this before.

The reason given is that this expert insists "Even simjet does this" 'its material will change' Just asking for some feed back as with my other turbines this has never occured or been required.

Paul
Old 08-29-2005, 06:51 AM
rcav8tr

Default RE: Rebancing turbine

Hi Paul

All SimJet turbines turbines are balanced, run, re-balanced and then run again at the fatory. Once they leave the factory they do not need to re-balanced again. Your"expert" may be referring to the above sequence. If your "expert" is implying that they need to be re-balanced after your first run on an engine, then he is incorrect.

I would think that this balancing/run sequence would happen with most manufacturers prior to shipping a new turbine. There really isn't a "change in material" as it is a change in relative position. The components in the rotating assembly can sometimes shift as they set in place during the first run, requiring a re-balance.

Hope this answers your question.

Ed
Old 08-29-2005, 06:52 AM
warp6

Default RE: Rebancing turbine

Hello Poul

It is not so that a simjet owner has to send his turbine back after running it first time just in case someone should get that idea ;-)

It is like this and maybe we at simjet are hysterical reg. balancing our turbines but balancing = bearing life.

We pre balance all parts before assembling a turbine then when it is assembled we balanced it as a complete unit (fully assembled) not just the rotating parts, we now test run the engine up to 110 % rpm and let it cool down and we do that 3 times to put load and head in to the unit then we make the final balancing all fully assembled.

( that’s why simjet sometimes don’t look so nice just around the compressor nut but it the only place we can find to remove material while doing the final balancing )

We found over the year that after running the turbine the first time I normally go between 5-35 mg out of balance at our production limit for a new turbine are 0,5 mg at 6000 rpm.

We do know that this is not the case with many other brands and honestly can’t say that it make a world of deferens but for sure make a the bearing life longer and me feel good sending a new turbine ;-)

Lars SimJet