Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Traxxas Spartan worth the $?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Traxxas Spartan worth the $?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:44 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas Spartan worth the $?

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Thats so %$#@ about Traxxas removing people from the forums...... That needs to get out there, people need to know
yep, many know about it but nothing can be done...
just makes many want to never buy from them again... [:-]
Old 02-03-2012, 05:53 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

as i mentioned i emailed traxxas about my problems after a week or 2 of not getting a reply i started countering peoples "oh this is such a awesome boat"  with the oh really's why did this happen to mine and was banned  then i found here and ose and was happy i wasnt the only one with the same problems i just wish i read forums before buying mine . i cant say nothing about my hull its all still in 1 piece BUT ...  if you do flip it 9 ties out of 10 the front lip pulls out and it rotates a few times i had it upside down perfectly and it floated well but most of the time all u see is 3 or 4 inches  floating in the water like a bobber .  it can be fixed so this doesnt happen but guess what  thats another minor overlook that they made.  you asked owners a question well your getting the truths.  btw i own 2 summits i agree they are sweet as all get out but imho traxxas needs to go back to the drawing board and testing before lying to their customers and then screwing them over .
Old 02-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

Fiberglass is stronger, same with carbon fiber. Reason you don't see it in automobile bumpers and more commerical use ect is cost reasons. Theres a reason aircraft panels and misc parts are made of FG and CF (im an aircraft mechanic I know) and not plastic, lighter and stronger. Also a reason why larger sport boats are made of the same. Plasitc is a awesome material, but is limited.

There were A LOT of new guys asking questions on up grading there Spartans and Traxxas deleted all those threads. Any thread or post that linked to a lipo or esc from hobbyking was also deleted and the user banned. There was also issues with the Spartan hulls starting to seperate one video I seen over at OSE a brand new Spartan hull completly seperated on the first run. The said part was a lot of the the post I read before they got removed weren't bashing Traxxas just trying to make there boat better. 
Old 02-05-2012, 06:21 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok after some looking around from what i can understand ABS is stronger, can take a bigger impact with out cracking
Best example safty helmats/hats, they stoped making them out of fiberglass in the 1940's

The reson u dont see it more is it costs so much to make a highpressure mould, and the thought of making a mould for a real boat wouldent be cost affective.
There is alot of debait about this on the internet.

Fact fiberglass is very cheap to make
Fact fiberglass is easy to make moulds for
Fact fiberglass is easy to work with
Fact fiberglass can be lighter that ABS (think thats why they use it on planes)

no kidding, ever seen a smashed up fiberglass bodykit or motor bike faring??? I have, ive never seen the plastic ones brake like fiberglass does.
The main reson u dont see many ABS body kits is the price, they are $2000 -$10,000 more than there fiberglass counter parts (car bodykits)
sure some fiberglass is close to ABS, but generally its not, all depends who moulded it.

thats funny im a ex vehicle mechanic & i know for a fact that any insurance company in Australia will not use fiberglass bumper bars, to repair dammaged cars.
for the sheer fact that they are brittle.
Test go kick the front bumper on ur car as hard as u can, u might be luckly to scratch it thats about it. no go kick a fiberglass jap import bumper as hard as u can, $10 says ur foot goes straight through it

Been a aircraft mechanic do u know about the all new Boeing 787 Dreamliner?? carbon fiber reinforced plastic...... sounds like the future to me

good old debat, im still open to any new information & ideas
Old 02-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Diesel6401

Att the end of the day you won't see a high priced high speed rc boat made of plastic. You won't see plastic on a airplane and it's not because of cost! There are bolts on airplanes that are $60 - $100 each there is rolls tape we use that are $100 per roll, just the stupid interior stickers and placards are even $15 or more the point I am trying to make is when it comes to commerical airplanes and military airplanescost isn't the reason they use certain materials. The B2 bomber cost over $1 billion per unit, good luck finding plastic on it!

Why do you suppose that the cheaper lower end entry level rc boats are made of plastic, but the higher end rc boats are made of fiberglass? The only boats that I currently no that is really REALLY good and worth the cost is the vac-u-pickle and boats by bby and even the plastic bby boats are covered in FG or CF...

Even if the Spartan was made of fiberglass at the end of the day it still sucks! and that's what the question is about. Like I mentioned plastic is good stuff, but when it comes to certain applications it's limited!

Yes I do know the dreamliner is made of Carbon Fiber! At then end of the day ALL FG and CF has bits of plastic in it, but plastic ALONE is not suffcient. The dreamliner uses a lot of non-tradtional methods including the first to use Litium Batteries.

ok after some looking around from what i can understand ABS is stronger, can take a bigger impact with out cracking
Best example safty helmats/hats, they stoped making them out of fiberglass in the 1940's

The reson u dont see it more is it costs so much to make a highpressure mould, and the thought of making a mould for a real boat wouldent be cost affective.

no kidding, ever seen a smashed up fiberglass bodykit or motor bike faring??? I have, ive never seen the plastic ones brake like fiberglass does.
The main reson u dont see many ABS body kits is the price, they are $2000 -$10,000 more than there fiberglass counter parts (car bodykits)
sure some fiberglass is close to ABS, but generally its not, all depends who moulded it.

thats funny im a ex vehicle mechanic & i know for a fact that any insurance company in Australia will not use fiberglass bumper bars, to repair dammaged cars.
Test go kick the front bumper on ur car as hard as u can, u might be luckly to scratch it thats about it. no go kick a fiberglass jap import bumper as hard as u can, $10 says ur foot goes straight through it

Been a aircraft mechanic do u know about the all new Boeing 787 Dreamliner?? carbon fiber reinforced plastic...... sounds like the future to me

Old 02-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Snowride

You are correct, a construction helmet is very strong however a Spartan hull is no more than .5 mm thick at best which makes it quite weak. Lets see, a sandwich baggie is also made from plastic but then again slightly thinner than the Spartan hull. Only car company that can afford to use fibreglass in there bumpers is Ferrari. Apart from peddle boats, who actually builds something made of plastic?

Old 02-05-2012, 02:44 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: Diesel6401

Att the end of the day you won't see a high priced high speed rc boat made of plastic. You won't see plastic on a airplane and it's not because of cost! There are bolts on airplanes that are $60 - $100 each there is rolls tape we use that are $100 per roll, just the stupid interior stickers and placards are even $15 or more the point I am trying to make is when it comes to commerical airplanes and military airplanescost isn't the reason they use certain materials. The B2 bomber cost over $1 billion per unit, good luck finding plastic on it! Why do you suppose that the cheaper lower end entry level rc boats are made of plastic, but the higher end rc boats are made of fiberglass? The only boats that I currently no that is really REALLY good and worth the cost is the vac-u-pickle and boats by bby and even the plastic bby boats are covered in FG or CF...

Even if the Spartan was made of fiberglass at the end of the day it still sucks! and that's what the question is about. Like I mentioned plastic is good stuff, but when it comes to certain applications it's limited!

Yes I do know the dreamliner is made of Carbon Fiber! At then end of the day ALL FG and CF has bits of plastic in it, but plastic ALONE is not suffcient. The dreamliner uses a lot of non-tradtional methods including the first to use Litium Batteries.

My Aunt belive it or not, was part of the development of that plane...

Kinda blows me away that some try to argue such strange things as costs of why this or that when it comes to this boat, and your comments kinda open up the truth D
Old 02-05-2012, 04:42 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

im done with this 1  the question was asked and more than answered at this point go waste your money or listen to spartan owners and stay away from the pile of junk .  good luck on your decision   peace
Old 02-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Diesel6401

Dude that's awesome! Plane is AMAZING to say the least.
ORIGINAL: srt10

ORIGINAL: Diesel6401

Att the end of the day you won't see a high priced high speed rc boat made of plastic. You won't see plastic on a airplane and it's not because of cost! There are bolts on airplanes that are $60 - $100 each there is rolls tape we use that are $100 per roll, just the stupid interior stickers and placards are even $15 or more the point I am trying to make is when it comes to commerical airplanes and military airplanescost isn't the reason they use certain materials. The B2 bomber cost over $1 billion per unit, good luck finding plastic on it! Why do you suppose that the cheaper lower end entry level rc boats are made of plastic, but the higher end rc boats are made of fiberglass? The only boats that I currently no that is really REALLY good and worth the cost is the vac-u-pickle and boats by bby and even the plastic bby boats are covered in FG or CF...

My Aunt belive it or not, was part of the development of that plane...

Kinda blows me away that some try to argue such strange things as costs of why this or that when it comes to this boat, and your comments kinda open up the truth D
Old 02-07-2012, 06:04 AM
phmaximus

thats cool if u are over debating, I did notice that my comments relating to High end body kits was ignored???

All i did was google ABS vs plastic. no kidding have a sus

now i rember u were saying they dont use ABS for planes....

This site kind of kills that idea, no kidding have a look at some of there products, dont just look at the page I linked
[link]http://www.buyplaneparts.com/pages/ABS-Vs.-Fiberglass.html[/link]

Even this is worth a read, Its not proven facts but u get the idea...
[link]http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/australia/115563-fiberglass-vs-abs-plastic.html[/link]

I base my opinions on my research, But Im allways open to new ideas...
Old 02-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Diesel6401

If you read post 30 you will see that I mention commerical and military aviation the site you listed is general aviavtion where price is a factor. Two complete different worlds! The f.a.r 's for commercial aviatin are much more strict the genereal, also in commerical service life is important. I got to admit I am not sure what your goals or intentions are at this point. To simply prove me wrong I don't know. I been in commerical aviation for over 10 years I know what I'm talking about. Do I know everything no I don't, but I know fiberglass and CF are heavily HEAVILY used for certain reasons, and like I mentioned ealier cost isn't one of those reasons. In general aviation cost is important and plastic is used for those reason. IF you fully read the"buyplanes" linkyou will see that fiberglass is better and it contradicts your ealier statements mostly of cost..

Look at the reasons :extended service life, extreme conditions and extreme heat and cold under the "recommendations" portion.The planes I work on are $30 million + fly over 30,000ft and over 400kts. Your NOT going to fly your abs plastic Cessna 172 at those conditions! If you want me to say you win FINE YOUR THE BEST, YOU WIN. Your google searching skills are far superior to my schooling and employment.Just know you won't see pushing abs hard or fast! I'm done with this thread! Have fun watching your plastic boat sink when you push it hard!

* Whatever your response, Iwon't reply. You can bash me if you choose.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:43 PM
phmaximus

oops
Old 02-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Pappy

I am getting into boats - (plane guy) and am looking at the Horizon Stilleto with the outboard motor - cost is around $340 - anybody know anything about this model?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Pappy

I am getting into boats - (plane guy) and am looking at the Horizon Stilleto with the outboard motor - cost is around $340 - anybody know anything about this model?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:28 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: Pappy

I would get a Cat
the Stilleto needs some setting up and is the hardest to drive.. [:-]
I had one, and a very sweet F1
Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Diesel6401

Agreed! Sweet boats, but tunnels are the most difficult to drive and setup like mentioned. A cat is def a better first choice or a mono like the Impulse 31.
ORIGINAL: srt10

ORIGINAL: Pappy

I would get a Cat
the Stilleto needs some setting up and is the hardest to drive.. [:-]
I had one, and a very sweet F1
Old 11-11-2023, 03:59 AM
Frankie Jennings

Originally Posted by Diesel6401
IMHO... stay away from that boat complelty!

1) you don't need 6s to go "fast"
2) the hull is plastic
3) the reason for the over-heating is the 6s claim. The first generation had a pure junk motor, the second generation has a much MUCHbetter motor, problem is the 6s is destroying the motor

* there are better (much better) boats for less money then the Spartan. Iuse to like traxxas, but seeing how the built this boat, and they way they responded to people on there forums who had issues with this boat. They lost a lot of cool points with me. They understand the car game, but haven't the slightest clue on how to make a decent boat. The Impulse 31 is a much better mono and built by a true rc boat racer with year of experience. Is it as fast out of the box as a spartan on 6s no it's not, is it a better boat that with a few tweeks can run circle around a spartan yes it is! Ibuilt a 32" pursuit mono for less then a stock new spartan and it'll out run, out turn and out handle a 6s spartan and it runs 4s. Like Isaid you don't need 6s to be fast, don't let the traxxas hype suck you in. JMHO and welcome to boating. Boats are a whole different animal then cars, do research on things, because what works well in cars typically will be destroyed in a boat.

I think you are full of it, and have nothing better to do than bash people.
Old 11-11-2023, 12:56 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel6401
If you read post 30 you will see that I mention commerical and military aviation the site you listed is general aviavtion where price is a factor. Two complete different worlds! The f.a.r 's for commercial aviatin are much more strict the genereal, also in commerical service life is important. I got to admit I am not sure what your goals or intentions are at this point. To simply prove me wrong I don't know. I been in commerical aviation for over 10 years I know what I'm talking about. Do I know everything no I don't, but I know fiberglass and CF are heavily HEAVILY used for certain reasons, and like I mentioned ealier cost isn't one of those reasons. In general aviation cost is important and plastic is used for those reason. IF you fully read the"buyplanes" linkyou will see that fiberglass is better and it contradicts your ealier statements mostly of cost..

Look at the reasons :extended service life, extreme conditions and extreme heat and cold under the "recommendations" portion.The planes I work on are $30 million + fly over 30,000ft and over 400kts. Your NOT going to fly your abs plastic Cessna 172 at those conditions! If you want me to say you win FINE YOUR THE BEST, YOU WIN. Your google searching skills are far superior to my schooling and employment.Just know you won't see pushing abs hard or fast! I'm done with this thread! Have fun watching your plastic boat sink when you push it hard!

* Whatever your response, Iwon't reply. You can bash me if you choose.
Sounds like someone works at Boeing. You have to remember, the 787 was built using CFRP for several reasons:
  • Less weight
  • Higher altitudes(air gets less dense the higher you go)
  • Less apparent maintenance
  • Higher in-cabin moisture content(the 787 has TWICE the moisture content of traditional aluminum planes)
  • Increased range

While I tend to agree with your comparison to the GA aircraft, you have to remember two things:
  • GA aircraft are GENERALLY designed for smaller airports and loads. Many can take off and land in less than 1000 ft
  • GA aircraft, for the most part, are using designs that came out in the late 40s to early 50s. A limited number of manufacturers have produced aircraft from the more high-tech materials. First one that comes to mind is Stoddard Hamilton's Glasaire series of homebuilts.
If you look at pretty much all of the "legacy" airliners, they are made using 6061 and 7075 aluminum, fiberglass and various types of honeycomb. If you look at commercially made GA aircraft, they are normally made of thinner and/or softer aluminum, for ease of working, and fiberglass that's normally between 1/8 and 3/16" thick. This is based on the fact that most are designed around a single nose mounted or two wing mounted normally aspirated piston engines. These types of installs normally are very draggy, thus limiting the aircraft's capabilities

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 11-11-2023 at 01:11 PM.