Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

ESC question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

ESC question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 04:22 PM
wallstrookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey guys i know that most esc for boats dont have reverse. to my understanding you give up reverse to have more speed on the forward only.

But there has to be a good one that does have reverse without giving up the speed.
Any suggestions?

--------------------------
yes i'm hook! and already lookin to add a micro to the collection[8D]
Old 01-01-2006, 04:34 PM
pompebled

Default RE: ESC question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: wallstrookie

hey guys i know that most esc for boats dont have reverse. to my understanding you give up reverse to have more speed on the forward only.
That's not true, an ESC with reverse simply has another set of Fet's for the reverse function, sometimes the reverse is limited to half throttle, but that's to protect the unexperienced boater from sinking his boat by pulling it under in full reverse....

An ESC with reverse is usually intended for boats that run at scale speed and in general can't handle the currents our fast electrics require.

An ESC with reverse for powerboats would be quite expensive, I can't name one off the top off my head, ask Steven at Offshore.

Regards, Jan.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:30 AM
properchopper

The June '05 issue of RC Boat Modeler shows 40 reversing speed controls ; most are not for high cell count however. I replaced my Twinstorm's reversing control with the Jeti600 after I roasted the stock one. The Jeti works great with 16 cells, survived sinking, & I've learned to live without reverse. Also, too much reversing can push water back up the propshaft, be carefull there. Go to OE, get a Jeti, & 'git 'er done is my opinion.

Tony
" Tune for Maximum Smoke "
Old 01-06-2006, 02:28 PM
wallstrookie

ORIGINAL: properchopper

The June '05 issue of RC Boat Modeler shows 40 reversing speed controls ; most are not for high cell count however. I replaced my Twinstorm's reversing control with the Jeti600 after I roasted the stock one. The Jeti works great with 16 cells, survived sinking, & I've learned to live without reverse. Also, too much reversing can push water back up the propshaft, be carefull there. Go to OE, get a Jeti, & 'git 'er done is my opinion.

Tony
" Tune for Maximum Smoke "

wow you are right i can live without reverse!!! i did some research and found that they are very expensive $300-$600plus (Schulze Speed Controls w/ reverse) for the high cell/current we need for fast electric boats.