Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Aquacraft Mini Rio

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Aquacraft Mini Rio

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Aquacraft Mini Rio

Nice work Junior! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

I got a decent run with my Mini Rio this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LQyB2B50zc
Old 07-04-2008, 10:28 AM
junior5150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice video......

I really think that soldering the coil should help!
Old 07-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Mauromj

Ok, so if any of you want a little more speed, get a new prop. Today I went by my lhs and told him about my cavitation issues and he explained to me why this was occuring. To make a long story short, he gave me a little bigger prop made by Octura and that made a HUGE difference. This boat is so fast now. Also, the motor isnt getting any hotter which is a big plus. A water cooling jacket helped with the heat. Ill try and get a part number if I can find the package, it was only $2.80 to.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Nina Roses Dad

ORIGINAL: Mauromj

Ok, so if any of you want a little more speed, get a new prop. Today I went by my lhs and told him about my cavitation issues and he explained to me why this was occuring. To make a long story short, he gave me a little bigger prop made by Octura and that made a HUGE difference. This boat is so fast now. Also, the motor isnt getting any hotter which is a big plus. A water cooling jacket helped with the heat. Ill try and get a part number if I can find the package, it was only $2.80 to.
Good info! Sounds like great value for the money. Must've been the x431 nylon prop (31mm)? The metal Octuras are +/-$10. I'm thinking that the added weight & inertia of a metal prop would be harder on a wire drive & more likely to snap it as they seem prone to do. I haven't done one yet, so it's just an edumucated guess.

I tried the 32mm Hammer plastic prop on my MR and the boat didn't get on plane at all. I assumed that I had overpropped, but it seems the larger but crappy plastic prop was just less efficient & giving less thrust. I'm going to try the x431 on my Hammer and Reef Racers as well.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Nina Roses Dad

Nice workmanship on the watercooling, Kmot!
Old 07-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Kmot

Thank you NRD! I try!
Old 07-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Nina Roses Dad

Now that I've seen Kmot's behind-the-prop water pickup vs. the stock one one the transom, I understand why the MR doesn't have the coil wrapped around the motor can like the Reef Racer (where it's behind the subsurface prop) - water won't flow through a coil in the MR because of the lower pressure & flow due to the transom mounted pickup. So, the little tube across the back of the motor is better than nothing. And JB Weld is surely better than the cable ties and bare metal on metal.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Don't under estimate a transom mount water pick up. They can do quite a good job. They do however add some drag.
I have added transom mounts to lots of my boats with good results.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Mauromj

Today im gonna stop by my lhs and pick up some .047 wire. Should I use a soldering gun or a little torch to remove the original flex cable?
Old 07-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

Use a soldering iron. A torch will heat everything up quickly. You dont want to temper the piano wire.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Quadchuck

Boy, this little thing is aggravating me. I am new to boats but, give me a break. Mine won’t plane hardly at all unless I give it a push. Do I need to move the battery forward more? I already Velcroed it in. So I give it a good push, ok, a little toss, and the hatch flies off and it fills with water. My bad, I know. Turned it off real quick, the servo was tweaking all the way to one side. Hope its better when dry. I would like to know what prop might help. Thanks
Old 07-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Nina Roses Dad

Allow the charger to top off the battery on trickle charge. That way you'll have more than just 1 of your 6 cells at a full charge and you'll have more power & runtime. Removing the left rudder helps.

Apparently, the extra millimeter of diameter of the Octura x431 prop will help and it costs > $3 if you can get it at your LHS.

Moving the battery forward will help with the rear weight bias, just be careful it doesn't rub on the coupler. I glued a piece of closed-cell foam on one side of my pack so that it pokes out through the forward part of the rear hatch hole. The hatch itself pushes down on the foam, cinches down on the battery, and keeps it from tilting and hitting the coupler.

The fact that the boat takes awhile to get on plane after you come to a stop or spin out makes it more of a challenge to drive and actually more fun once you get the hang of it and start racing against somebody else.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Mauromj

ORIGINAL: Quadchuck

Boy, this little thing is aggravating me. I am new to boats but, give me a break. Mine won’t plane hardly at all unless I give it a push. Do I need to move the battery forward more? I already Velcroed it in. So I give it a good push, ok, a little toss, and the hatch flies off and it fills with water. My bad, I know. Turned it off real quick, the servo was tweaking all the way to one side. Hope its better when dry. I would like to know what prop might help. Thanks
Hey Quadchuck, did you pick up your Mini Rio at Performance? Thats were I got mine. I too had a problem with plaining untill I got that new Octura Prop. B&B carries them. I didnt think it would make a big difference but wow! This thing flies now! Hoping you can get all your problems fixed, just give it some time they are great little boats. Maybe we can go boatin some time. Later, Matt
Old 07-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Kmot

You guys, the Mini Rio should get up on plane with no problem in completely stock form. I think as NRD said you need to be sure your battery is fully charged.

I made a set of turn fins for mine today. I was told it will help prevent it from wanting to roll over while making turns.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63018.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	986610  
Old 07-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Wheelnut

Kmot,
those turn fins will slow you down a bit, also they are more for helping to prevent spin outs. In the right situation, they will actually make the boat flip. Racers use one turn fin on one side for oval races. It will dig in and make it turn sharper. If there were a turn fin on the outside of the curve it will also dig in and cause flips.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Kmot

Well I will just have to see what happens. I did this based on a recommendation from someone who had the same rollover problem and adding turn fins solved it they said.

As for dual fins, I have seen umpteen FE mono hull boats with dual turn fins on the stern, so I am not understanding your comment. I have only see hydros with a turn fin on one side and usually on the end of the sponson.

Someone has also just told me they need to be angled outward.

So, it's going to be trial and tweak for awhile.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Wheelnut

The Super Vee 27 also comes with one turn fin for running oval races.
The turn fin should be perpendicular to the bottom of the hull it is on. Than way when you are in a turn it is straight down in the water, holding the boat at it's perfect turning angle.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Kmot

Yeah, that's what the other guy said. I will angle them out most likely.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Mauromj

So today I just finished up modding my Mini Rio. I put a Vr3 motor with a full water cooling jacket, a .047 wire, bigger wire and deans on the stock esc (Ill upgrade soon), one rudder and a bigger Octura Prop. Here are some pics of my work.

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=IMG_5696.jpg
http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture004.jpg
http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture003.jpg
http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture001.jpg

Also, I just got back from running it down at the river and my oh my does this thing go now. I am very happy with this little boat and its performance. I will be running the right rudder though because I couldnt turn one way at all. Hopefully they get back in stock soon. Heres the video.

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture005.flv

Later, Matt
Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Kmot

Very nice! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Kmot

Looking at some pictures of even my old boats I had, the turn fins were angled out. I guess that's what happens when you get old and forgetful!

So, here are Version 2.0
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38636.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	986777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75542.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	986778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49877.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	986779  
Old 07-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Mauromj

Looking good. Hey what kind of paint did you use to paint your boat, is it holding up well? Also, does any one have a spare left rudder and the mount?
Old 07-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Kmot

Matt, I used Duplicolor gray and Ultracote red. Just what I had around the house at the time.

It is holding up fine so far.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:13 AM
Quadchuck

Hi Matt, I bought them at B & B. I am still letting it dry out, lol. I actually bought two of them, one is still in the wrapper. I bought a new prop today when I was buying a little bigger boat to play with, so hopefully it helps. I will try to get the battery moved a little too.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:43 AM
Mauromj

Oh nice, I was down their today. So were are you running it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.