Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

SV27 flex shaft removal question/Problem :(

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

SV27 flex shaft removal question/Problem :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:47 PM
ProfitOfDoom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SV27 flex shaft removal question/Problem :(

Well I was reading the manual about how to lube and remove the flex shaft. My first question,Do you need to remove the larger nut collet thing attached to the motor shaft in order to remove the flex shaft,or can it be removed with leaving it there?
I would think you would need to remove it,but just thought Id ask. It doesnt say in the manual to remove both,,just to unscrew the nuts "on the flex and on the motor shaft"
Now here is where my problem comes in,I tried to remove the flex shaft got them unscrewed but it didn't seem to want to come out,so I was going to take the nut off the motor shaft,and I hex driver and the previous owner must have used some kind of thread locker or something strong and I snapped off the tip of my driver inside the hex screw,any ideas on how to get that out?
What grease do you guys recommend,in the manual they only recommend speed grease,,but on hand I only have some High temp thick grease would this do the trick,,or should I just go get some speed grease?
Old 04-09-2008, 02:39 PM
SV27dayton

Default RE: SV27 flex shaft removal question/Problem :(

I think those have thread locker from the factory. Serious stuff. I've had problems taking the rear hardware apart for the same reason. I wouldn't worry about it unless you need to change the coupler or it is loose. To remove the flex shaft loosen the two nuts from one another. If the shaft doesn't want to come out when you pull it, push it in a little. This expands the gripping mechanism and releases the tip of the flex shaft and allows you to move it. As for the grease, if you are just running for fun you can probably get away with what you have. If you start using a GPS and are trying to get that extra 1 mile/hr you will want to play around. Just a thin coating is necessary either way, don't pack it.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:49 PM
ProfitOfDoom

Ok got it out and all greased I went to the hobby shop,they didnt have speed grease,but some other blue stuff in a tube made by proboat,it says its for flex shafts so it should be all good!
I feel stupid,for soem reason I thought it came out from inside the boat
How often to you lube the bearings in the motor? and for that im going to need that screw out aint I?
Why im here,do you guys pack anything in the hole where the antenna comes out of the hatch?,the other day "first run" when I flipped it water must have got in through that hole,but all and all it wasnt much,for it floating upside down for 15 minutes and me puching it all the way back in there was only about a cup of water I thought it would be much worse.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:09 PM
dicko

I use a bit of silicon tubing on the antena tube to seal the hole. i have it doubled up so it's wide enough to completely seal it up. some people shift the antena so it comes out from the deck instead of the cowl.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:42 PM
SV27dayton

You can also super glue a piece of balloon to the inside of the hatch and put a small hole in it for the antenna. This will help seal it even better.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:52 PM
ProfitOfDoom

Ok I will try the balloon trick on the hatch. I switched radios,,im not a fan of am radio's. I put in my FM xs3 radio and put the receiver in a balloon inside the radio box. And other then that I think im ready to try a 2nd run