Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Oldschool Acomms Fast Electric

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Oldschool Acomms Fast Electric

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:13 PM
jcplinux42008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oldschool Acomms Fast Electric

Ok i have posted i few times about this boat , its old and i got it from my grandpaw last year , i have spent time upgrading it slowly to see what it can handle , i have put the supervee27 brushless motor and speed control in it i am just going to post some pictures of it again and hopefully have a video on here in the next couple days if its nice out , i would like some thoughts on how to go faster , it doesnt use direct drive and im thinking that when i go back to direct drive it will gain its speed back hopefully with better handling since i have added the turn fins. It planes out very well now and can stay in a straight line. I had to take a pinion gear too a machine shop and have it machined to 5mm to fit on the supervee motor and while it is slower as a max speed , it seems to handle and plane out better with the reduction gear , and it still jumps out of the water , when i switched too the reduction gear with a little 540 motor it gave it a substantial increase in power , but not in this case , its still faster than it was but dissappointing none the less.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17806.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	926758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91043.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	926759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75133.jpg
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	926760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic85106.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	926761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh57247.jpg
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	926762  
Old 04-10-2008, 06:16 PM
RC_Bob

Default RE: Oldschool Acomms Fast Electric

How many cells are you using?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:09 PM
jcplinux42008

I am currently running 12 cells but will be bumping it up too 14 , ASAP
Old 04-10-2008, 09:12 PM
RC_Bob

And what prop size?
(forgot to ask)
Old 04-10-2008, 11:27 PM
jcplinux42008

Well i don't have a ton of option son the prop , i requires a 4mm non threaded prop with a set screw , so what i did was got a traxxas villian (i think) left hand turn prop and bored out the hole to 4mm its very badly done and i need to get a new prop and take too the machine shop and have it done like i did my pinion gear, so what ever size is on the villian is what i have. If i could find a better prop i would , but i have yet to find a 4mm non threaded with a set screw lik ei said i had to modify the one i bought to work with it , and the original prop for it is a little tiny thing that barely even pushes it. This thing isn't designed for what im doing , but its a fun project to attempt and so far i am not displeased. It needs a new prop anyways because i smacked it on a rock last year and chipped it. Any suggestions on a prop would be helpful i hate rigging things like that , plus i would like to have a better prop selection. Because it is so old it is also hard to find a new shaft for it , it must be 4mm and it must be the correct length , i have thought about using some threaded brass rod 4mm to add a threaded prop but then the brass fittings on the stuffing tube would need to be drilled out to fit the threads and the stuffing tube is permantly attached in between the two layers of the hull , oh i did forget to mention that i am dealing with a subsurface drive not sure if you can tell from the pics i put up or not , but it is not a favorable drive output , and it limits what the max speed will be , basically im not worrying about much except get it running and running well , speed is secondary considering it is decent at this point especially if you had seen what i was starting with , im talking maybe a max speed of 5MPH when i got it , if that even. I am working mornign shift tomoroow so i will go after work and get a video and some new digital quality images for everyone , my camera always kills the batteries during uploads so i have to use my grandpaws , if everything goes well i should be able to get a godd video i am not going to do any more work on it between now and then so it should be pretty much set.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:45 PM
RC_Bob

How tiny is the prop? Cuz I was referring to the prop diameter in mm.
The SV27 runs on a 3 bladed 40mm prop, just FWI.

As for the 4mm screw thing is this what you are talking about?
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=60
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=57
These fit 4mm thread shafts.

I recommend getin one of those graupner props cuz you mentioned that the other one hit a rock and was chipped(not good[sm=drowning.gif])

Old 04-11-2008, 01:02 AM
jcplinux42008

Well i actually need one for a non-threaded shaft with a set screw at the end that connects to the shaft end , the props that came with it are a 45mm diameter 60mm pitch , and i believe the prop i have is also 45mm but a higher pitch , oh and it also came with a 50mm diameter 50 mm pitch prop , it may be possible to thread the end of the current shaft , but i dont want to do it. The original prop has been misplaced however it didnt work anymore the set screw holes thread wore out and it would come loose whenever. I can probably get an upgrade prop for the villain and get the hole drilled out and have a hole put in the side for the grub screw. I will get all these things worked when i have the extra cash i am currently apartment hunting so im strapped for cash , but i will get a video of its current running stae so you can see where im moving up from , and also keep in mind when i do get a video it will be with the reduction gear and i know from seeing it last year that its faster with the driect drive , i just can't find my drive linkage parts , plus the pinion gear is on so tight it didnt need a grub screw and it will need to be heated to come off the end of the motor and that has to happen before i can even proceed to hook up the direct drive again. I am going to try and take the shaft and have the end threaded that is the only way i can put a new prop on this thing properly.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:27 PM
jcplinux42008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE7bccRSKy8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ksc7IMtCB4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1eGZtc3x1s
Here you go i got three videos today , all of which i was doing with the camera in one hand and the tx in the other so needless to say its not the best camera job i was just determined to get a video.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Quicksilver

The way I see it, you've got a few issues. The gear box is obviously not helping things. The villain uses a surface piercing prop and isnt the same design as a sub surface prop. Thank god you have that gear box right now though, since without it, you'd blow that broken prop up and most likely break something else, like the motor and esc.

First things first, upgrade the prop at the same time you take the gear box out, if you do the gear box first, you'll smoke that motor. Being it's subsurface that prop or even the stock SV27 prop would would way overload the motor. From my reading [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7193925/anchors_7193925/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7193925]here[/link] in our brief eco class thread. you might want to start with an octura x632 or an x637.

Now this brings the inevitable how do I hook that up question. Well, at offshore electric, you can buy a new straight drive shaft, which will accept any prop. Heres' the best part, the prop and shaft will run you $25 total.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:15 PM
jcplinux42008

Can you send me a link to the exact drive shaft i would need , and as far as far as burning things up , i had it on direct drive last year and it was fine , nothing got too hot , i will try your suggestion though and get the octura props and a shaft. It also looks like i would need to cut a couple inches off the shaft if its ten inches and then dremel the flat spot on it but it could work , thanx for the subsurface help , i just need to reorder the graupner universal joints too connect the motor and shaft and get some new packs after that and it should be good , keep in mind i am going slowly too avoid losing it , i have had this for a really long time and just now decided to start upgrading it.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Quicksilver

you ran the brushless on direct drive? because that's specifically what I mean.

I cant point to a really specific item since I dont know what length you need, you'll have to measure. If you know it's shorter, just buy the big one and you can cut it if you need.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=106
Old 04-11-2008, 10:32 PM
jcplinux42008

Well i wanted to try it on the reduction gear , so i had a pinion i was using on a 540 motor on the reduction gear machined to fit the 5mm shaft on the motor and then hooked it up just like before with the 540 motor , but yes i did run it last year with direct drive , and i added the trim tabs then this year i got turn fins , it likes to chine walk really badly when i have it hooked up to direct drive , i have learned that lowering the trim tabs should help , also it doesnt just pane out it burries the nose almost and all the major weight (Battery packs) is in the back , so maybe putting a better prop on it would fix that. I wish they sold this stuff at my local hobby shop i hate waiting on shipped stuff. OSE has always delivered on time for me though. I think it is pretty fast for what im running , just getting new battery packs will fix it those packs have been sunk last year several times and only give me about 5 minutes so i know they are putting out the amps it needs , but you can hear how fast the motor is spinning versus how fast the boat is going on my videos.
OK here is an update , i blew my charger as you can see from the pictures it is cooked well done , luckily it finished charging my second pack when it happened anyways here is another video on youtube of this boat , running on 12 cells and a reduction drive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdDWehzKdwI
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60945.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	927896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40220.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	927897