Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Leaky supervee?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Leaky supervee?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:12 PM
grosporina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky supervee?

I just bought a Supervee27 and stuck it in the tub to see how it floats and noticed that it's taking on water. There's no visible flaws in the hull so I think it's coming in around the prop drive. Can anyoe say whether it's normal to slowly take on water?
The manual says it's normal to take on some water over the course of a run but I don't know whether they just mean what will splash up and in, rather that a constant leak. I didn't think I'd need to install a bilge pump in this thing...
Old 04-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Russ Williamson

Default RE: Leaky supervee?

Check to be sure the flex cable is greased well. Also, you boat will be moving forward on the water and it will not seep "up" when running. If just sitting in the water, there should be very little to no water getting in the hull.
When running the boat it is normal for a small amount to get in the hull (like all boats without taped on hatches, etc), it will not hurt anything....

Have fun!
Russ

ORIGINAL: grosporina

I just bought a Supervee27 and stuck it in the tub to see how it floats and noticed that it's taking on water. There's no visible flaws in the hull so I think it's coming in around the prop drive. Can anyoe say whether it's normal to slowly take on water?
The manual says it's normal to take on some water over the course of a run but I don't know whether they just mean what will splash up and in, rather that a constant leak. I didn't think I'd need to install a bilge pump in this thing...
Old 04-12-2008, 10:42 PM
grosporina

Thanks, it sounds like it might not cause a problem but definitely shouldn't be that way. Just sitting still after about 2 minutes there's a couple tablespoons worth of water that's seeped in. For my own peace of mind maybe I'll get some silicon sealant and run some around the hole in the hull where the prop drive passes through.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:38 AM
finvee27

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_73...tm.htm#7360044

Check my last comment and u will see what to do before first run!
Old 04-13-2008, 01:25 PM
grosporina

Hm.. "ready to run" indeed.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:18 AM
Grimracer

ITS OK FOR WATER TO ENTER THE HULL.. its not OK for water to enter the radio box.. that is WHY it has a radio box.. IF.. the boat had NO radio box then it would NOT BE OK for water to enter the hull.

Hope you understand

Keep us posted

Grim
Old 04-14-2008, 08:28 PM
grosporina

I can understand water splashing in and such, I just didn''t expect it to be seeping in through the fittings, which it obviously was as I could watch it slowly drip out again when the boat was out of the water.
Well whatever, I''ll silicone that sucker up until it could be pressurized, I''m sure it''ll perform to my expectations and that''s all that really matters.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Russ Williamson

It''s great to do enhancements to your models to suit your needs; however, with most all boats, even the mult-thousand dollar race models, the hulls themselves are not sealed to a point where you can pressurize them and they hold air. This is only done to the inside of the hull if there is not a radio box for rx, sx, etc. This is why boats have seperate radio boxes.

Anyway, it sure won''t hurt anything

Later,
Rw

ORIGINAL: grosporina

I can understand water splashing in and such, I just didn''''t expect it to be seeping in through the fittings, which it obviously was as I could watch it slowly drip out again when the boat was out of the water.
Well whatever, I''''ll silicone that sucker up until it could be pressurized, I''''m sure it''''ll perform to my expectations and that''''s all that really matters.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:44 PM
grosporina

I made my first run yesterday and while she was fast and all I see what was meant by being trimmed too far aft. I guess to move the CG forward a bit I'll have to cut away at the wood ribs inside to make room for the batteries.
What really bothers me though is that I flipped it (yeah ok it happens) and when I retrieved the boat and opened her up the "sealed" radio box was completely full of water, I mean right up to the very top. I've been giving it a chance to dry out, don't know yet whether anything was actually fried but I don't have very high hopes.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:19 PM
SV27dayton

Have you ever read anywhere on here that you should tape the hatch.[)]. I had the same thing happen to me and everything ended up working fine. Spray everything out with no flash or any water displacment stuff. Then leave everything out to dry. I remounted my antenna on the transom and plugged the hole in the hatcn and tape the hatcn. No I have no need for a box. I gutted it out. There's a pic of the setup in my galery. P made a balsa board that slides in just like the box and removed the bottom of the servo and screwed the servo directly to the board. Works great! Boat's been upside down for hours and there's not a drop in it.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Stewie2008

I recently purchased a brushless super vee as well and it was slowly leaking a considerable amount of water through the trim tab mounts on the rear of the boat when I placed it in the bath tub. I sealed it with silicon with no trouble but it was just a little dispointing to have it leak for a $300 boat. Then I took it out for its first run and it ran a bout fifty feet and stopped abruptly. I heard a single beep from the speed control and I was not able to bring it to shore because the radion was not responding to my commands from the remote control. After waiting a while for it to float to the edge of the pond so I could retrieve it I opened it up re-plugged in the batteries and tested the radio controls out of the water folowing the instructions in the manual. I place it in the water and the same thing happed a single beep from the speed controler after travelling fifty feet or so and no radio response. Does anyone know what the problem is? I need to know whether I should exchange for a new boat.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:09 AM
dicko

check your connectors to the motor from the ESC, my friend had the same problem & one of the wires was loose. aslo check you have freshly charged batteries in your transmitter & boat, you may have a range issue.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:58 PM
grosporina

Yeah, but I thought the whole idea of the radio box was to keep those components dry. There might as well be no box at all.
As it turns out it seems like the Rx and ESC are fine, but the servo's fried and one of the battery packs may be messed up too (yeah, sealed radio box or not the battery problem would've been unavoidable).
Old 04-21-2008, 08:10 PM
SV27dayton

Hmm seems like the concensus has been that the Rx is the most sensative thing to water. They get put in a balloon often. My servo was totally submerged for an hour with no ill effects. As i said. The box it unnecessary if you waterproof the boat. My box failed me as well. So I figured Id toss it. Now something very bad needs to happen for me toget water in the boat.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:46 PM
grosporina

Well that was weird. Batteries, Rx, and ESC seem ok, and the servo it seems went bad for a completely different reason.
I took it apart to see what I could see and discovered that the pot it uses to sense position has somehow slipped down inside the servo casing so that it no longer turned with the servo gears. That's why the servo messed up, it was trying to turn but was sensing no change in position so it just cranked all the way to one side then gave up. it seems to have had nothing to do with the little bath all the electronics took.
I replaced the servo with a spare I had on hand just in case, but that's very strange that that should happen to it, I can't picture what I could have done to cause that, there's no spot on the servo on which you could apply a force from outside that would move the pot the way it moved.