Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

kyosho viper

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

kyosho viper

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:20 AM
02ram4by4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kyosho viper

Hi I just aquired an old school viper electic boat from my father. I remembered this boat when I was a kid but anyways I was wanting to get a electric speed control, and maybe a new motor. I don't want to spend alot of money but I'm trying to fix it up for my 6 year old daughter. I figured it would be nice if it had reverse. The single switch speed control might to a little hard for her to use until she has some practice. So if anybody has any suggestion on the motor,speed control setup that would be nice.

Thanks Dave
Old 04-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Blkft1

Default RE: kyosho viper

I would look at Duratrax escs $40-50.00 and any budget 27t stocker motor $30.00.A Trinity Co27 Monster stock or Monster Horsepower stocker with a Intellispeed Auto Sport f/r or even a Novak XRS.Either combo should keep ya both happy and not break the bank!I'd also look into upgrading the prop to a Prather or equivilant berrilium prop {$10} that is the same size as the origional plastic one.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:44 AM
wamf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Horizon sells a nice one http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PRB2314 A 27t Venom motor would also be economical. around $20
Old 04-24-2008, 09:19 PM
02ram4by4

Thanks for the input, also on the venom motor I cannot find a 27 turn motor. Do you have a part number also what would be a good battery to use. Is there a place that I could get a water cooling setup.

Thanks to everyone

dave
Old 04-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Blkft1

You can make a watercooling set up using aluminum tubing and fuel line.Look at pics when searching this forum.As far as sport/fun running with a K-Viper I'd pick up some E-maxx dual packs from Epic,Peak or Team Orion,they cost $31-51.00 pair in 2400-3000mah. Or just buy some Duratrax Sharks or Piranhas $11-19.99 each in 1500mah.My fam and I are just all around bashers on land and water,everything I've suggested has given us good longevity,durability[iesurvived some beatings!]and fit within the budget.I had the original K-Viper until last year when she went to Davy Jone's Locker,my fault[oops,,,].Currently STILL running a very old MRP Pantera,and in the process of building a BBY Racing Warzone jr.I'm hoping to pickup soon a BBY Warzone and a Vac-u-cracker for fun.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:55 AM
joeysan2

Good luck with the K-Viper. I am currently rebuilding one myself.Check here for cooling items http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=66 scroll down the the bottom. You might be able to find what you need here.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:15 AM
02ram4by4

ok I have another question. The boat was orignally set up with the receiver battery pack not the bec set up. I would like to run the battery pack on one side at the receiver pack on the other to keep the balance as this was the way it was set up from the factory. Do they make a speed control with this set up or are they all bec setups

Dave
Old 04-29-2008, 04:10 PM
pompebled

You can use any BEC Speedcontroller and pull out and tape back the red lead from the connector.
This way the BEC is disabled and you can use a receiver pack.

Regards, Jan.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:59 PM
02ram4by4

Thanks Jan, I do have another question, The orginal prop does not have a number on it. I have a nitro viper prop and it is a octura 1435. Will that prop work or can I get a better one that is metal.

Dave
Old 05-06-2008, 07:42 PM
02ram4by4

ok first run out was fun for a while. I put the duratrax esc in,trinty 27 turn motor. I have a couple of problems first one is that I got the 4200 mah tenergy battery packs. The first pack ran down pretty quick and the motor temp was about 230 degrees and that is with water cooling. The battery also melted the cover and the label off of one battery only the rest seem ok. I hope some battery people know what I did or if the batteries are bad. Run time wasn't that long. Also the esc is really gittery, and there is no binding in the drive line.

Dave
Old 05-07-2008, 08:25 AM
n.h.schmidt

Hi Dave
I know exactly what happened. I have this boat and its rather big and heavy for a 05 car motor. Your prop is way too big for your power. Most 27 turn roar stock motors do not lug down well at all. They just run slow ,suck amps and then burn up. Did you have smoke when you ran your boat? 27 turn stock motors can run in boats very well if used in smaller and lighter racing boats like cracker box or N1 mono.If you can find a Trinity P2K stock motor ,you will have about as good of a stock motor as was ever made. The already mentioned Monster Max motors are better for your boat as are a few of the 550 can motors from Traxxes. For the submerged drive your boat has ,a smaller prop is needed. From Octura a X430 may be your best bet. Maybe the X431 plastic prop would do too. Depends on the motor you use. On my Viper I ended up using a bigger 700 motor and 12 cells . The boat will top 27mph and still has the submerged drive.
n.h.schmidt
Old 05-07-2008, 08:56 AM
02ram4by4

Thanks could I use that motor with a smaller prop. or will it still overheat. On the prop is there one that is a direct replacement or would I have to get a different shaft

Thanks Dave
Old 05-07-2008, 09:58 AM
n.h.schmidt

I did forget there is a problem with the shaft size. If I can find my orginal one ,I will check out what needs to be done. I do remember it its a sub 4mm shaft of about .150 dia and is stepped down to maybe a 1/8" .
n.h.schmidt
Old 05-07-2008, 04:31 PM
pompebled

N.H Schmidt is correct about finding proper props other than the stock ones, it's a pain in the b***.

I've tweaked a Viper some years ago and switched the propshaft (and stuffing tube) for a 'proper' 4mm one, allowing me to use Graupner props with 4mm thread.

The stock Viper propshaft has no bearings it hugs the stuffing tube over the entire length, creating a lot(!) of friction and even heat, if your motor and batteries are capable of high revs and long runtimes.
My Viper ran very brisk on seven cells and a (watercooled) 600 motor, driving a 34,5 submerged prop.

Regards, Jan.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:37 PM
pompebled

Dave,

About the batteries not behaving like you want them to...:

Did you cycle them a few times before running them in the boat?
The cells need to be charged for the first time (and after a long winter) for a prolonged time (up to 20+ hours) with a charge of 1/10C or less to get all cells at the same charging level.
NiMH are far more sensitive to 'wrong' treatment than NiCads and will react in the way you described.
The higher the mAh, the higher the sensitivity.

Regards, Jan.