Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Brushless boat: options?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Brushless boat: options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:15 AM
xbleriot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless boat: options?

Hello all,

I’m looking into buying a Brushless RC boat

I saw the AquaCraft SuperVee 27, which is a RTR Brushless at ~280$ (which is a little too expensive)

But I already have a radio…

So I was wondering what could be some other alternatives, like buying a hull or a more basic RTR (with brushed motor) and modify it with a brushless kit (motor + ESC)…

What suggestion would you recommend, or is the SuperVee 27 will be definitely the cheapest way to go?

Thank you
Old 04-24-2008, 01:01 PM
headhunter23

Default RE: Brushless boat: options?

You have a servo to run the rudder? I have a spare hull that I think I'm going to get rid of. All you would need is a brushless motor and esc from United hobbies which would depend on how fast you want to go. Half horse power(ah say 400 watts) should be good enough for the 25" hull that I have, I would go with something in the range of 1800-2300 rpm on 14.5v, so that would put the amps in the range of 30-40 amps, so we'll call it 40 amps.

Pretty much most of the guys on here go surface drive, if your handy you can make your own, or the extremely cheap route is to go subsurface drive which isn't as fast but it is fast out of the whole and turns on a dime compared to surface drive. Here's a video of my subsurface hammer on brushless, with trim tabs unadjusted(one was digging in too much).
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U63hLBHb3zg

So parts wise...
Hull 90 bucks
motor 40-50 bucks (http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...4&ParentCat=59)
Esc 30-40 bucks (http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...&ParentCat=182)
hardware (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/categories.php?cat=17)
15-30 bucks subsurface
90-120 surface with flex line

Price wise cheapest route you would be looking somewhere around 200 bucks and it climbs from there.

It really depends on what you want, I personally want to build my own boat rather than buy an sv27 just because it would be more fun and I want it built better with a flooding chamber (so I don't have to wait for wind to blow boat to shore when they flip over, which is guaranteed). But is also up to your skills.

You could also buy a used one online, or get some sort of ebay toy that has been a good candidate for swapping over to brushless although some of the hardcore guys on here would suggest otherwise, but it's still a viable option.

Ivan.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24586.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	936069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79529.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	936070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87372.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	936071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29514.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	936072  
Old 04-24-2008, 06:56 PM
detox

You can buy a new Super Vee hull here:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRXZ0&P=0

Old 04-25-2008, 10:16 PM
RC_Bob

There's the Black Jack 26 Brushless too. It pretty much has the same electronics as the SV27, almost. It's around the same price of the SV27.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:05 AM
bucsbw

My advice to you is too suck up the cost and buy a boat that you will have for years. Call Chris at Fine Design or Paul at Fast Electrics RC and either one can hook you up with a really nice hull with a brushless system and lipo batteries. I see people all the time buying several boats that they loose interest in real quick because either it is not fast enough or it handles poorly. They then spend several hundred dollars into making it go faster or handle better, and wind up spending more than if they had just gotten the boat they really wanted from the start. Start looking around at different web sites and all of the hulls that are offered and go from there. Stay away from the Toys-R-Us ABS Chinese plastic stuff, its is really junk.