Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Miss Vegas Electric Project

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Miss Vegas Electric Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Genettico

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miss Vegas Electric Project

Hi Guys,

Im new to the site and have read countless pages of great info! Thank you all for that! I have a nitro Miss Vegas and have decided to get a 2nd one, gut it and make it an electric one like some people have done.

This is my project and I would like to share it with all of you, hoping to improve upon it and to give detailed info to those of you looking to do the swap!

So Far, this is what I have:

-futaba 3pm 2.4ghz tx/rx
-120 Hydra ESC (Castle Creations)
-10 Amp BEC (Castle Creations)
-8xl NEMESIS/Feigao (Offshore Electrics)
-22.2 6s Flightpower Battery (Towerhobbies)
-Adjustable Motor Mount (Offshore Electrics)
-stock servo
-stock Hardware
-Blue fin (Grim Racer)
-Super Brain 989 charger

Im going to post pictures of all the work it takes, and will try to be as specific as possible so hopefully it will help someone on making decisions and improving the capabilities of this cool boat!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64475.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	990.2 KB
ID:	941220   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45188.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	941221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74411.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	941222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67294.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	941223  
Old 05-01-2008, 11:05 PM
RC_Bob

Default RE: Miss Vegas Electric Project

Well, things look pretty good so far. Good thing you're using lipo in a boat type like this, much lighter than nimh.

I would use a separate bec battery pack that can hold AAs.

What size is the stock prop?
Old 05-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Genettico

The Stock size prop is a molded y535 octura!

I Have a BEC (10 amp) Castle Creations. Im gonna use it to not increase the weight by running the servo of the main battery!

Old 05-01-2008, 11:35 PM
RC_Bob

okay.

I think that prop size may want to up a few mms. I think a 40mm prop would be good to start out with.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Genettico

Im expecting about 70amp draws at full load on this prop size! and a little over 42k rpms! so Yeah it is a little fast!

I can still go a little higher on mah of the battery to offset heat, but I do know this prop size will pull some major juice of the battery! I have spent too much money too fast on this project so Im gonna stick with original calcs and run the prop! Just have to watch the heat!!

Old 05-02-2008, 12:00 AM
eboat

I have a proboat Llumar with the 8XL in it also but I am running 4S lipos
I think 6S is going to be more trouble than it is worth unless you change the motor to a 10XL or 11XL size
42000 RPM is alot of friction in the drive line

Nice looking boat
Old 05-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Genettico

Yeah... It is lots of friction. I did tested the drive line with up to 47k before I decided on this setup. I did learned ths that the inner tubing needed better lubing when running at so high rpms and that the angle on the motor to the shaft has to be near o degrees for less friction. I does hold and holds well... Im more concerned about prop size, but only testing will dictate this!

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-02-2008, 09:12 AM
doby
My Feedback: (1)

A hydra 120 on 6S has has blown up many times for a lot of people. Also, Castle's seems to be having issues with warrenties. 6S on a hydra 120 is a bad idea.

Check out the thread below

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ead.php?t=3240
Old 05-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Genettico

Great info! Thank you! I Will diligently check heat issues and log, and very systematically run different speeds and log heat and amp draws! Im thinking of running a 2nd water pic-up and create a jacket around the 120 for extra cooling. Im not gonna be running WOT but for very short runs! so Heat should be reasonable!

Thank you again..... Def makes me re-consider setup!

John
Old 05-02-2008, 10:48 AM
RC_Bob

How is that going to work? Cuz for my project now I'm gonna use a cooling fan that'll blow on the circuit board of a hydra 120.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:02 PM
CadillacDTS2001

that has to be th nicest looking Vegas i have ever seen. and nice power to it as well.
good job
Old 05-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Genettico

I already have a secondary water pickup, and I want to run it thru a 2nd jacket thru the 120. I did think about running a small fan to cool the 120 but Im concerned about weight and water reaching it and potentially making a bigger mess!.

I do always try to make things with as little as possible and efficient as possible, thus decreasing the possibility of ruining something else and to decrease cost and maintenance. In the case of my setup, I believe a secondary water pick-up ran thru a 2nd jacket might really enhance the live of the ESC. I have a couple of working designs you can use in combination with the water cooling that the 120 already has so, I figured the cooler the better. As soon as I finish the whole thing Im gonna post pics with a "HOW TO" so perhaps it helps someone else, or so that maybe someone improves upon my experience or critize it or give valuable info that can help me or others better our little boats.

I do want to test what CC means by "waterproof" or "water-resistant" on the 120... Anybody has had any experience on this?? Im thinking that if you can flip the boat and flood the ESC and then just rinse it (if needed), dry it and then be able to run it again will open the possibilities to cooling to an even better plane.

If this is the case Im sure you and I can think of several ways to not only water cool it but also Air cool it!

Someone please reply to this:

"Has your ESC 120 Hydra been completely submerged in water and worked fine afterwards??"

Im gonna call CC and ask this same Q tomorrow! I should have done this before! I dont see why (as long as you clean any debris and dry out really good) the ESC would not work! hmmmmmm!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Genettico

I do appreciate the comment about how nice my Hydro looks! I did spent more money than I wanted but at the end of the day I wanted a different look and I wanted it to have a design I created and not someone else's! I think how I made the fade of colours on the flag looks cool. I am using automotive wrap and it is coated with a special UV protecting plastic to keep the colours looking nice!

Again.... Thank you.... At least it makes me feel better I spent the money and someone else other than me likes it too! o)

Old 05-02-2008, 11:46 PM
RC_Bob

"Has your ESC 120 Hydra been completely submerged in water and worked fine afterwards??"
Yes. Well, at least for me. I used one in my first boat. First time it flipped everything was soaked. The esc and electronics didn't work for a few days. Inside the shrink wrap I could see a lot of white build up from something. On on side of the esc there was a brown smudge. Everything was working fine until it blew up and nearly melted a hole through the top of my boat. I used a 40mm prop w/a feigao 7XL(how smart was I back then[sm=rolleyes.gif])
Old 05-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Genettico

ORIGINAL: RC_Bob

Yes. Well, at least for me. I used one in my first boat. First time it flipped everything was soaked. The esc and electronics didn't work for a few days. Inside the shrink wrap I could see a lot of white build up from something. On on side of the esc there was a brown smudge. Everything was working fine until it blew up and nearly melted a hole through the top of my boat. I used a 40mm prop w/a feigao 7XL(how smart was I back then[sm=rolleyes.gif])
Ouch!! lol! Oh Well.... they say NO PAIN.... (you know the rest)

At least you now know what NOT to do!

Im sure the white residue was minerals in the water left behind after evaporation!

The brown stuff might have been a short circuit when the ESC when submerged!!

Sorry to hear bout your loss!![]
Old 05-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Genettico

Ok boys and girls!

Im now 95% finished and im now operational.

I tested the boat today on 3s (in a pool for a controlled enviroment) and ran pretty good! Actually It ran better than I thougtht (faster) I was surprised at how fast it was with such little power. I could not measure actual speed as the pool was not nearly big enough to reach terminal speed, but It definately was a good test., and I would estimate a speed of higher 20s low 30s!

Here are a few things I learned today:by

1. Battery def needs to be in a "bag" with the ends held by ruber bands. If a droplet of water was to get in the charging leads, the battery will go bye bye.
2. I did not see heat issues yet but im still inclined towards adding a 2nd water pick-up just for safety!besides Im gonna be running twice the power!
3. The final setup is gonna be fast! Maybe a little "too fast" for my nerves... lol
4. The final weight is actually just a little heavier than the stock Nitro version (4.6pds without gas tank being full).Full weight (electric) with battery was 2298 grams or just about 5 pounds!
5. Electric boats are FUN!!! I do like the sound they make when in the water..... It sounds like an outrunner motor! Definately an improvement on maintenance and though I do like Nitro boats I cant say Im dissapointed with electric>

Im gonna finalize work tommorrow and start posting pics! From tommorrow on, its gonna be logging, testing and trying to improve design....

Until then...

Genettico

P.S: Im going to get a 5s battery and will probably be my last setup based on what I saw today!

Old 05-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Genettico

OK....

So it is running and so far so good! It handles well. Good CG and great speed! Def too much power! My 2nd battery is gonna be a 18.5v (5s) with higher amps!

I had to get a 2.4ghz Futaba TX, RX because the AM radio was getting too much static from motor and making it glitch!

Here is a short video teaser!

Before you get any ideas.... I know this setup is pushing limits, so I DO NOT recommend it for anybody! It is fast but can only run so much without burning stuff! (Which I expect soon enough) I like this setup but definately will only run 4s or 5s if you wanna do the conversion>>>>> Trust me you will NOT be dissapointed!

Here it is:

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBBe681Dk9U[/link]
Old 05-08-2008, 06:42 PM
doby
My Feedback: (1)

OK,,,enough vid of you talking and more of the boat running
Looks impressive, we'll see how reliable it is though on 6S. Either way, it seems to want to fly !
Old 05-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Easy rider

Yeah , more video please. It sure took of extremely fast. Nice boat.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Genettico

Yeah I know The vid is short! Soon after this vid I had to go for a job! [:'(]

I Will post more vids soon! Def do not want to run it on 6s all the time! Im gonna use it on 4s or 5s for everyday running and 6s for show and to smoke sailboats! lol

Im getting a radar gun from BUSHNELL to check on speed! I have no way right now to estimate! Maybe 7mph??

Im afraid of giving it full throttle... That's why I think is too much power/speed. On the vid I was running at 50 to 75% throttle! I need to get used to speed, handling, controls and need to break in the motor a bit before I go extremely crazy.

Genettico

Old 05-08-2008, 10:01 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice

What are your cell, esc, motor temps?

Ryan
Old 05-08-2008, 10:19 PM
RC_Bob

oo, and what prop?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Genettico

motor= 141
esc= 136
battery= 83

this after about 4 min and some moderate running! some fast runs!

prop= 35mm, octura y535... no i do not wanna go bigger! this is enough for me! im gonna keep the stock plastic one as it will work as a fuse! I rather brake it than the shaft or driveline!!!

Genettico
Old 05-09-2008, 07:17 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm rather surprised at those temps. 140 on the motor is about as much as I'd like to see. I'm very surprised at cell temps. Which exact pack were you using?

Ryan
Old 05-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Genettico

Flightpower 3300mah!

Im yet to be running it crazily! Im not going torisk frying ESC !

Genettico