Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Questions about going electric

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Questions about going electric

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:44 AM
arnie84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about going electric

Ok I have gotten back in rc, and heavy into nitro/gas, and starting to race. However, I am an old school rc off road racer from back in the 90's. I have tons of 2000 matched nicad battery packs which I used not that long ago, and seam to still be good & lot's of old school B&R 27 turn stock engines & mod motors 12t, 13t etc.... from when I was sponserd, speed controls, chargers, you get the point. Is there an eletric boat I could adapt the old rc stuff & still be fast, or is it just not ment for boats? I see they now make brushless motors & way better nimh & lipo batteries. I don't plan to race, but just for fun. I see mostly RTR boats like hammer, supervee & Traxas blast. I just want a boat minus all of the eletronics, but complete with all the hardwear.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:30 AM
pompebled

Default RE: Questions about going electric

Hi Arnie,

What you're looking for is a light hull, about 18" long, preferably a stepped hull (low drag, for the relative weak motors you're planning to use).

Take a look at http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/ for tutorials on how to set-up a boat and the hardware required, the OS hulls are all a bit too lagre for a 500 size motor, so you might take a look at www.mhzusa.com for inspiration.
How about a Cracker, like the ones in this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851484 ?

There are a lot of other hulls available, others will have to provide links to the US based sellers, as I'm in Europe and not very aquainted with who sells what.

Regards, Jan.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:50 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My biggest recommendation would be to start over and purchase the new technology. Things have changed greatly over the last decade or even just the last few years. Those NiCAD packs are old and most likely don't perform the way they did when new.

Before on 7v you were one of the lucky guys if you made it to 20mph.
Now days with only 7v you can exceed 50mph

Ryan
Old 05-12-2008, 11:04 AM
arnie84

Wow! I do have old stuff, but I do like that Crackerbox Thank you for the link! Like I said starting over would work, but no one races eletric at the pond I race at. I wish they did. I still use my current engines/batteries every once in awhile at the rc truck offroad race track near me, and can still be competative. I just want to see what I can do to adapt it to a boat. At Castaic lake they don't let gas/nitro boats on the lake, so being only 2 miles away I think a fun eletric boat like that crackerbox would be fun!