Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Liquid Tape To Seal Receiver Box

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Liquid Tape To Seal Receiver Box

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:45 PM
detox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liquid Tape To Seal Receiver Box

I am trying $6.00 Liquid Tape black (Gardner Bender part # LTB-400 ) to seal receiver box and connections. You can purchase this stuff at Homedepot by the electrical tape. This stuff is alot like Plastic Dip except it comes in smaller can and it has a brush on applicater. I have brushed a little bit of this thick sustance on my SV27 receiver box as a test to see how difficult it is to remove once dried. Using a seperate brush works lots better when applying.

I do not want to use a clumsy looking balloon to seal my radio receiver. Insted I will coat the box using this Liquid Tape, once dry I will use velcro to attach it to hull. I like the looks of a neater install.

Can says: Great flexibility, Waterproof connections
Old 05-13-2008, 07:24 AM
detox

Default RE: Liquid Tape To Seal Receiver Box

After letting the Liquid Tape dry overnight it peeled off rather easily. Easier than I thought it would.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 AM
lavarock

One issue I can think of is heat. Not sure how much heat a receiver generates. There has to be some because of the feeds to the servos. I suspect the liquid tape is a good heat insulator. Perhaps someone will know and post some data. I have a couple float planes and water in the receivers has always had me worried. If this will work would make an easy way to seal them.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:23 PM
detox

I thought this was very funny. I copied and pasted from another forum.

Originally Posted by HoustonDominant
Go to Wal-mart, buy a box of cheap "non-lubricated" condoms. Condoms are big enough to easily slide the rx into and then use a zip tie to seal it. Cheap, easy to find, and works perfect.
I was using a finger cut from a latex glove, it had a tear in it so I just popped open a condom and the rx fit perfectly. All of my rx's are now setup for "safe boating", and I have no worries about my "Screamin Seaman" LSH getting any other boats pregnant on the course.
Now everyone has the perfect excuse to tell the wifey whey they have condoms laying around

Old 05-13-2008, 08:04 PM
SV27dayton

LOL that's pretty smart. Dont know if I want the inside of my boat looking like the parkinglot behind the quicky mart but hey whatever works right? I don't thinkgt he Rx generates much heat. No fins or or vent of any sort leads me to belive that the Rx is not a heater. Not much current there.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:15 AM
lavarock

I was reading about the new Futaba 2.4 gig receivers and a heat problem.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_74...tm.htm#7443726

The liquid tape may not be a good thing to use on these new receivers.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:45 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I toss all my RX's in a balloon whether it's a boat or plane. I simply cut the end off so that the balloon can more easily stretch over the RX.

In every case that I got my RX's wet they worked fine after completely drying them out with a hair dryer. As long as they are dried out completely right away, they will survive. Now, non-water proof ESC's in most cases are toasted after its first dunk.

If you are going to liquid seal any component it must be 100% completely sealed. If it is only 99% sealed and water seaps in, the ability of not being able to easily heat it up to dry it out may cost one a new receiver.

I'd much rather know a balloon over the RX provides a great deal of water protection and if the RX does happen to get wet it can simply be dried out and working again.

Ryan
Old 05-14-2008, 09:10 AM
detox

OK...Where can I purchase a balloon large enough to work with the SV27 receiver?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:17 AM
LtDoc

Almost anything will 'work' to seal a receiver, sort of. JUst depends on what you happen to have ahandy, or at least available. If removing the liquid electrical tape is 'easy', then it may not be the 'best' way of sealing anything. Another 'just depends' thingy, as in just how wet will it get to start with? Or, how long will it stay wet before drying it? 'Scuffing' the receiver's case might be an option, gives the stuff more area to 'hang on to', sort of.
I sort of doubt if heat is going to be a 'biggy'. If your receiver is getting that hot, you might find out why, it isn't exactly 'normal'.
The 'biggy' about sealing anything that requires parts of it's self not be sealed, the connections, is that there's a penalty involving weight, volume, cooling (maybe), and so on. It's all about making compromises. Pick the 'best' compromise for your particular application.
Lots of help, huh?
- 'Doc
Old 05-14-2008, 09:19 AM
papagyo

Hi all,

I am thinking about using stuff called Hydrel which is Reenterable electricl insulating and sealing compound. This stuff they use to seal underwater electrical junction boxes in swimming pools etc, I have used it and it pretty neat stuff(but is quite expensive). you could easily make a small mold in which to pour this stuff around the reciever box, I used it to seal electronic power supplies into heli-pad landing lights.

Brian
Old 05-14-2008, 09:22 AM
thedr
Banned

ever thought about using Shoo-Goo???
Old 05-14-2008, 12:14 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: detox

OK...Where can I purchase a balloon large enough to work with the SV27 receiver?
Just about anywhere. I'm using a regular party balloon on my 8 channel full size air radio. They just need to be stretch over the receiver.

Ryan
Old 05-14-2008, 04:53 PM
detox

After experimenting with the liquid tape I have came to the conclusion that this stuff does a poor job of sealing areas where channel crystal, servo, and esc wires plug into receiver. Sorry, but to make this stuff work you have to GLOB on too much IMO.

Liquid Tape works perfect for it's originally intended purpose