Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Surface drive?New Scratch build

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Surface drive?New Scratch build

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 01:56 AM
kajabbi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surface drive?New Scratch build

Hi,

Am thinking of doing a new rc build. Any suggestions whether i should build a cat or a mono. Along the lines of begginer difficulty not necesarily in the build but in the after boat.

Also i was wondering what the main difference between surface drive and other options and which is best.

My current boat is a mono that i scratch built and it drives a bit unstable. Just decided to build a new boat not because of my current boat but i want to build a new boat between 24"-28".

Also am not sure how to get plans.

I am just going to stick my current equptment in it which is a 23t 540 motor and 4200mah nimh battery.
I am also guessing that 24" is a better size for the motor.

Thanks,
Old 05-18-2008, 08:33 AM
peterpella

Default RE: Surface drive?New Scratch build

Hi there

I used to have the same problem with each next boat.

Usually I use 550 motor to power my boats. I got the motor which had very strong experiences. It was used in 5 projects but still in work.

I usually say that ONE mOTOR ONE HULL. That means try to build a mono hull. ABS, glass fibre.......

Got no plans?

which plans are you interested in?

-

Better ugly boat than wise mother - in low!
Old 05-18-2008, 09:56 AM
SV27dayton

I'd recommend direct surface drive for more speed and fun (rooster tail). It's really not harder and there's more adjustment to the setup. Also cats are generally more stable at high speed given good water. Sometimes the v hulls will do better in the rough but it all depends on the design. I'm building a scratch cat that I started on around xmas. I'm about ready to finish the hull but still need to get most of the guts. It's a 29" surface drive cat, it will be big and brushless.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:31 AM
kajabbi

I plan to build the boat out of Balsa or Ply and then use epoxy resin. Not sure about plans in particular. Maybe around 24" deep v.
Any suggestions? Similar shape to the Supervee 27 but not so long. At least something to suit surface drive which i plan on using.

Also i know nothing of building with fiberglass, only that you need a mould. What is the process? is it easy?

I am pretty new to all this so just assume i know nothing :-)

Thanks,
Old 11-19-2008, 04:10 PM
WO

Check out Dumas products as they have some hull kits on sale and I have built a sk daddle 36" and will power it with a Kontronik 600 and Baracuda 80 esc plus two seven packs. I plan to use a sub-surface drive so I can trun left and right. Warren