Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Speed controller issues

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Speed controller issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:03 AM
jeffskelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed controller issues

Hello, I have a problem with burning up speed controllers with Neu 1506 1y motor. I have a Castle Hydra 120 that after 4 minutes of running with 2 Nimh 3800 batteries in parrallel overheats the controller. The boat is a hydro marine viper using a octura x632 prop. I sent the motor back neutronics and they have tested it and found no problems with the motor. I use 2 water pickups 1 off the rudder and 1 off prop blast and have no restrictions in the water lines. I need some advise, Thanks!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Raydee
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Speed controller issues

How many cells are you running?
Old 05-18-2008, 12:35 PM
jeffskelly

I am running 2 6 cell nimh packs in parrallel for a about a 7.6v. Each pack is 3800 mah.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Raydee

With that KV motor on 6cell Nimh cells you should be in good shape. Can you post a pic of your setup in the hull? The only thing I can think is possibly you have a lot of resistance in your connectors, your wires are very long or your boat is running very wet and because of the drag your amp draw is high. I run that ESC in my rigger pulling over 100 amps and I never had a problem. Did you try running the hull for a minute and checking the temps? If they are fine after a min run for 2 min and check again. Maybe 4 min at a time is just too much for your setup.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:55 PM
jeffskelly

The boat is disassembled and I have sent the motor and the controller back to the manufactures for testing. I have recieved word from Neutronics that the motor is fine. The conectors that I am using are deans connector for the batteries and 5.5 mm bullet connectors for the motor. The wires from the controller to the motor are as short as you can get them. The wires on the batteries have not been shortened and the parrallel cable is about 3.5 inches long.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Raydee

How many controllers have you went through so far? If its just one maybe it was just bad. Do you have a castle link to check the timing? If you have it timed to high it will cause the motor and ESC to overheat, especially on 4 min runs.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:29 PM
jeffskelly

I had bought the boat used with a Barracuda 80 that was fried so, I installed a Castle Hydra 120 and , left the timing at the default normal setting.After the run when the boat quit moving, I reteived the boat and found that the controller was unable to go into programming mode. This was after I let it sit for 1 day. I did not have my temp gun with me at the time but, the batteries , motor, and the controller did not feel hot. It did sit in the water for about 15 minutes until I could retreive the boat.