Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Cleaning an ABS Hull ???

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Cleaning an ABS Hull ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:11 PM
MIGMaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning an ABS Hull ???

Hi Guys,

I'm a noob when it comes to RC boats, but I'm having a great time !! I'm doing a major overhaul on a Blast that I got from a yard sale. It was in great condition as far as the running gear goes, but the decals look like they were put on by Ray Charles. I peeled them off, but there is a bunch of sticky residue. I was going to use some vinegar and water with a no-scratch cleaning pad. Is this OK ? I just didn't want to do something that will discolor or screw up the ABS.

Thanks !
Old 05-27-2008, 07:42 AM
smuff168

Default RE: Cleaning an ABS Hull ???

you might try using lighter fluid or a product called energine cleaning fluid on a rag...I would try it out on a sample first thou, just to make sure...it shouldnt hurt the ABS. ...Then wash with soap and water to remove any fluid residue....I would do this on a a boat i currently have to verify for you, that im peeling off the decals to use on my display boat, but I dont have either product around here right now........if I recall correctly, I cleaned up an older bud light ABS boat using this method that I display and it didnt even hurt the original decals, but it cleaned up the boat beautifully.....and a little elbow grease using the rag....but this should do the trick for you.....mike
Old 05-27-2008, 07:45 AM
smuff168

BTW, make sure you use the correct type of rag....a soft towel or something that wont scratch the ABS....DONT use a a shop towel !!.....forgot to add this in other post....mike
Old 05-27-2008, 09:07 AM
MIGMaster

Thanks Mike ! I appreciate the info !
Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 AM
doby
My Feedback: (1)

Go to Canadian Tire,,,find "Goo Gone" I use it on ABS, and fiberglass hulls without any problems.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:28 AM
SV27dayton

Yea I was going to suggest that too (goo gone). I've used it on many surfaces. Another is just plain WD-40. I've never used it on ABS that I can remember but it's pretty mild and will get the adhesive. Also soap and water after obviously.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:25 PM
sportygreg
My Feedback: (2)

I have used mineral spirits on 2 boats with no apparent harm to the plastic.[8D]