Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Looking to get a boat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Looking to get a boat

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:03 AM
eciracing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get a boat

Hey guys. This is my first post here. I've been an off road buggy/truck guy forever, but a friend of mine just picked up an RC Boat, so I'm looking to compete with him. :-)

Anyway, he purchased the Blackjack Electric, brushless boat. I'm looking for a boat similar in size and performance. I would like to be able to have a brushless set up. They boat doesn't necessarily have to come with brushless, but if it doesn't, I would like to be able to make the swap without breaking the bank. I have seen that most boats run off of 2 battery packs. I would like to be able to run 2 2S Lipo packs. I have grown to love the Lipo, and just can't see myself going back to NiMh. I have around $300 to spend for the boat purchase (if it's brushless), but less if it's not brushless.

I know this is kind of a vague and general post, but please help a newbie find his way.

Thanks so much in advance!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:36 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Looking to get a boat

SuperVee 27 running an X642 Prop. With LiPo you should be around 38mph.

I too only run LiPo, I don't understand why people are buying NiMh as there is nearly zero advantages.

Ryan
Old 05-30-2008, 09:39 AM
eciracing

Funny you mention the Supervee 27. Upon looking around, I was actually liking what I read about this boat. Is the ESC ready to go for Lipo? Does it have any sort of low voltage cut off to avoid damaging the Lipo packs?

Thanks for the response too.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:02 AM
ryan_t888

It's not that funny, SV27 is the most popular boat right now. I won't be the only one recommending it.

Voltage cutoff is 67% of the voltage determined on initial plug in. Therefore never plug in discharged packs. When fully charged packs are connected cut off will be 2.8v per cell.

Regardless of the cut off on any ESC, it is very important to bring the boat, car, plane in, much before the packs dump. This will increase the life span of the packs and decrease the heat generated in the packs. I always aim to leave in at least 25% capacity.

If you are uncomfortable with the voltage cut off you may purchase a cut off specific for LiPo use.

Ryan
Old 05-30-2008, 05:13 PM
eciracing

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, the ESC on the SuperVee DOES have a voltage cut off to protect my Lipo packs?

Also, you mentioned that voltage is determined on initial plug in. When you say that, do you mean that the very first time I plug my batteries in, it determines the voltage, and uses that as it's guideline? Or does it do this each time you plug the batteries in? In other words, if I ran 2 6 Cell NiMh batteries, the voltage would be 14.4volts total. But with the 2 Lipos, voltage would be 14.8volts. So, if I ran NiMh the very first time I ran the boat, would it "remember" the voltage as 14.4volts from then on? Or, does it "refresh" each time a new pack is installed. Sorry if that's confusing, it was hard to type.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:26 PM
BB Modss

It reads the packs each time they are plugged in, Just make sure to top the packs off prior to running and you will be fine.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:13 PM
ryan_t888

It refreshes the next time you plug in the packs as BB Mods said. A fully charged LiPo will be 16.8v. A fully charged NiMh pack will be about 16.2v but this varies greatly.

Ryan
Old 05-30-2008, 09:31 PM
eciracing

What Lipo's are you using to get that many volts? My 2S2P packs are 7.4V each. Total of 14.8?
Old 05-30-2008, 09:33 PM
ryan_t888

That's nominal voltage not fully charged voltage. Fully Discharged can be as low as 6.0v for 2s packs.

Ryan