Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

RC boat

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC boat

Well a long time ago I built a [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7626863/anchors_7626863/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7626863]boat[/link], and well I guess I could say I was disappointed with it.
Any way I built a new one with information I gathered from all of your posts, so I figured I would show you some pictures.
I put a zenoah engine in it and a Prather B275. I also custom made a fiberglass hatch for this one too.
It doesn't go as fast as I had hoped but still got 41.3km/h out of it. I don't think I will be able to get it to go much faster as I made the V steeper
in hopes it would be better in rough water. O well.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:01 AM

Default RE: RC boat

it may just need a prop change to get it going a bit quicker??
Old 11-17-2010, 03:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks nice,maybe theres a bit of hook in the bottom towards the transom ? that will suck it down and not allow it to get on plane properly,just something to check using a straight edge.If it does have hook and its not too bad it can be blueprinted to remove as much as possible and you should see a big improvement.If theres no hook or rocker maybe a change of balance and or a prop change strut depth change etc will help.Wheres your cog at now?,id be aiming for 28-30%.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:48 AM

Is your engine getting to full RPM? WIth the looks of that cowl, dosen't appear to have enough air flow to the inside. Had an issue with the origonal cowl design for the Nemesis cat hulls I build, not enough openings. First few runs kept it in the mid 40 mph, however a cowl redesign and a new mold significantly changed the flow and immediately got into the 50's with no other changes as the engine was able to unwind to full potential. Air should also be able to be released at the back of the cowl.

Have you ran it without that cowl on?
Old 11-17-2010, 06:32 AM

Scott could have a point there,i can see one air scoop in but nothing to let air out but hard to tell from the pics?.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 AM

Hey thanks for the comments. When i built it I spent hours sanding the bottom of the boat and checking it. I spent so much time everyone thought I was nuts.
I guess I could try a different prop any suggestions? Also it makes no difference with the cover on or off. My thoughts are its too heavy and the steeper V make
it slow. I also made some trim tabs for it because with out them it was outta control.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:28 PM

How about some closeup pics of the transom showing the setup ?,sounds like you got the bottom nice and true so must be something else.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:01 AM

Beautiful boat and congrats on getting it finished and in the water!!!

The snap shots are a hard read but certainly better than nothing. From the pictures I see it sure looks like the boat is running a hair bit wet due either to tabs or drive trim or combo of both? Are you familiar with how the tabs and drive affect running attitude and handling? If so play around and see what you can do...if not then let the forum know and we will all be happy to help you figure it out. We all started in the same place at some point: the beginning.

FUN build...keep us posted. You are now entering the the third phase (and the most trying) of the hobby = dial in!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:49 PM

Ok here are some more pictures. Maybe they can help.
The CG of the boat is somewhere around 16" from the back of the boat, and its 48" long.
Also I do not know much about setting a boat up at all.
I wont be doing any testing any time soon either since its winter here in Canada.