Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Custom rc boat STUCK!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Custom rc boat STUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Custom rc boat STUCK!

ORIGINAL: jquid

Put your pickup tube behind the prop. This way the propwash is your pump while sitting at idle. Or if you have a clutch on the motor, and it is disengaged while at idle, I would go with a small electric water pump. Put a microswitch mounted on or by the throttle servo. Then when you bring it down to idle, the switch closes, and turns on the pump.
Or just use a pulse water pump as someone recommended earlier and not have to worry about microswitches, batteries, electric motors etc etc.
Realistically the boat does not need a water pump. The cooling of the pipe is not critical - no "O" rings to burn and the motor is not water cooled. Just don't site there and idle for 10 minutes - One less thing to worry about. I have a few boats with clutches and water cooled motors with no water pumps - [link=http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/myboats]Boats 1 and 2 to name a few[/link].

Radio box can easily be reinforced so as to not "rip out". Not sure you needed to pump up the fear and danger level. Heck - There have been boats powered with Jet ski motors with tupperware radio boxes - not ideal - but to each their own.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:27 PM
BigBoats507

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I have been gone guys I have currently been sanding my boat at the shop for 6 hours with a couple hand blocks and a orbital sander, got it right back down to the fiber glass probably took off 2 lb's of Bondo AHAHAH, tomorrow I have to finish 1 side and bondo up the little imperfections, cut the other side of the hull, cut down the frame sand the top edges, and then the next day I epoxy the outside of the hull, then I stain the inside and epoxy that.

Justaddwata- when it comes to my drive deal I am bondo'in the holes and after that I epoxy the hull and then off to a fresh start ready for a new mounts. but I do know about the adjustable drive It is 100% adjusted down in the pictures, lol just because im 15 doesnt mean im mechanically incline. ahah im just kiddin with you but I am.

Mart-I have been sanding for a while now!

jquid-Thanks for the tip!! as for the servos I already have a box I made the other day for the 5" rails, 100" stable I might epoxy the inside just for fun, as for the seal im working on a silicone seal that WILL work ive made tons of them! As for the lid Plexi glass it is, and it will be magnetic instead of screws!

Justaddwata-Like I said I have made a new one! As for the cooling I was already planning on a pump anyway just for the what you would call "Good looking" as it sits, Thanks for the tips!

Wouldnt be able to make this without you guys! Thanks very much!! Keep the opinions, and tips for advice and ideas as I will need many!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:58 PM
BigBoats507

sorry for the bad lighting, it looks alot better in real life
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wu62121.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1647344   Click image for larger version

Name:	uq49855.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1647345   Click image for larger version

Name:	xc79770.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	957.9 KB
ID:	1647346  
Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: BigBoats507
I do know about the adjustable drive It is 100% adjusted down in the pictures, lol just because im 15 doesnt mean im mechanically incline. ahah im just kiddin with you but I am.
I am surprised that the drive is all the way down as I would expect to see some of the elongated slot in your picture (I would have guessed it was 100% up). Certainly looking at the factory picture of the blade it looks longer - http://www.whhonline.com/product-p/rh40162.htm

You could elongate the hole in the blade further though lowering the mount would be the best option if it is indeed all the way down.

Sanded hull looks like it will move a little better. As already mentioned - you may want to add some strakes before painting it to help a little with handling.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:18 PM
BigBoats507

Yes I will be adding strakes, as I will thin layer glue them and then epoxy to hull, hull still has alot of sanding to be done tomorrow before bondo filling and then epoxy.

As for the Drive, it wasn't neccesarly "All the way down" it was more of 3/4's of the way down. Why? Because the length of flex shaft between the transom and the strut would not allow for it to go any lower. Besides I want it right the first time, that way when I drive it I have full 100% room for any adjustments to be made as "Prop walk" or anything else could happen during first test run, especially whn its a homeade boat).

SECOND BOAT BUILD TESTING MOTOR (I know this isnt for this thread but you gotta hear this motor ive been working on!)
As I said before I am a mechainic, and I know every little dirty trick to easy HP but doesnt a water pulse system take of power? id imagine it would.
Also just built dual boost bottles, mixed up some 32:1 with 93 octane and my secret racing pre-mix from my dirt bike, added some washers on my spark plug to point the hooks towards cylinder for faster gas ignition, added that pipe I was designing earlier and a water cooling system through the cylinders and pipe with the garden hose and some otheringredients. This is all done on my test weed eater, some tuning tomorrow and 1 tank of gas through her ill be able to see what I want to add to my big boat Cheers... Also added a bigger Walbro carb, only problem is itsmanuallyfed meaning I have to mount the tank above it before I get to start it! Cant wait to see the difference between stock and Cheap HP.
PLEASE READ: Need nickname for boat, going to paint it in on the transom and the side walls! or just do a decal kit if it turns out right! - Big boat
Old 08-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Justaddwata

but I do know about the adjustable drive It is 100% adjusted down in the pictures, lol just because im 15 doesnt mean im mechanically incline. ahah im just kiddin with you but I am.
As for the Drive, it wasn't neccesarly "All the way down" it was more of 3/4's of the way down.

I would not worry too much about raising or lowering the strut more than a few millimeters for trim - realistically it will be parallel to the bottom of the hull and wont move from there. No harm in moving the mount though.

Regarding a pulse pump robbing power - the amount of power loss is nominal at best - I dare say you could not measure the difference with a tach or dyno on your rig. Think you will find racers dont use them because of the weight they add (minimal) - not due to power loss concerns.

As for your second boat motor
Tear off the boost bottles - they are worthless on an RC boat. Only people who use them (on boats) are the people trying to sell them - and they usually dont know any better.

Increase your two stroke mix to 20:1 - boat motors are under load 100% of the time - you will not regret the additional oil. Use quality oil (Caster/Synthetic bike oil is my choice).

Indexing your spark plug may improve performance a tad. But if you use a mark on the plug you should be able to set the plug position using the compression washer that comes fitted on most RC compatible plugs. Trick you will want to use is to read the plug color - this is common with RC boat tweaking (but wont work if using white gas as it burns too clean).

High octane is not necessary what your motor will appreciate either. I run low octane white gas (believe it is in the 80 octane range) in some relatively exotic motors. If you have not researched Octane principles it is worth doing - might help dispel some HP myths you may have regarding fuels (even if your "a mechainic, and I know every little dirty trick to easy HP" ).

Personally - I would stick with the stock carb (all depends on what it is and what your replacing it with) - chances are it has more than enough flow to meet the needs of your motor and sounds like your new carb is bringing additional issues to the project.

Also keep in mind that most wacker motors are electronically governed to around 12000rpm (and usually not mechanically capable of more). A stock zenoah marine motor will show you around 17000rpm, double (or more) the HP and half the weight of a wacker motor. Modded zenoahs can run as high as 20 000 rpm (under load) - unthinkable numbers for any wacker motor.

I believe I read you were thinking of an outrigger for your next build. I would not recommend a wacker motor for a rigger or hydro - just too heavy in the nose and lack the power such a boat needs (also remember - no need for a clutch on either boat as they run better direct drive).
Old 08-11-2011, 07:34 AM
Catalinaflyer

Old 08-11-2011, 07:41 AM
BigBoats507

Yes I will not worry about the strut to much but playing with it could be fun at times.

as to the pump its a weed eater so I probably wont worry about it to much.

For the boost bottles, there just there for looks and for a weed eater mottor they will ad a tiny bit of power but I just like the looks of mine, I might tear them off idk yet.

Yes I have been testing with ratios and did find 20:1 is a pretty good ratio for this motor but ill have to see about the new one im getting.

I am using compressing washers for the plug as to the spark plug trick is probably the most fun one (I get pretty picky when it comes to throttle response!)

The High octane fuel is just a test with the big performance pre mix im running so I will be testing around with that

Your probably right my stock carb will save me mechanical issues.

The govern thing I know but its always fun to test around. (You would be surprised if you see my lawn mower!) ahah,

As for the next build I changed my mind, im building a smaller Mono with a weed eater in it, I have seen some go pretty good with a weed eater. And once I build a couple more I can sell them and buy some twin Quick draws and throw them into a big Bonzi boat hull. NEXT YEAR!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:46 AM
hendocap

Don't worry about mounting the tank higher, the carb has a pulse pump built inside.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:49 AM
BigBoats507

Yes I know "The diphram and all that". the diaphram in most of my carbs SUCK! Do you know any websites you can get machine specific gaskets??

Also looking at tuned pipes, might be able to throw one on it ?? could
Old 08-11-2011, 09:45 AM
BigBoats507

Old 08-11-2011, 09:51 AM
BigBoats507

http://www.homedepot.com/Homelite/h_...atalogId=10053 Thats the weed eater im about to go pick up, whats the chances of it having a 1/4" drive ???? :/
Old 08-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Catalinaflyer

when your in the shallow waters the word ''Swim'' wont be needed as I am 5' 9'' and the shallow water is only a foot or two. I can guarentee that I will not be drowning will recoverying my boat. 2010 5 people drowned in recovering there boats. Think about how many people own rc boats and how often they drive them ALOT. that number 5 is probably a good number for 5 people that 1 dont know how to swim 2. not that smart and 3. pretty phsyco. I can argue and debate over this for hours, but im not becuase this forum is for my boat.

As for you thinking im rushing, I bet you my life I am not rushing, the hull is almost done and when it is its a cruise after that becuase I just have to mount in the electronics and the motor. Then off to driveing it.

Also a rc airplane is a complete different object as a boat.

And dont say just because im 15 that means im rushing becuase you did when you were 15. I take my time on projcets you would be surprised if you saw the stuff I build.

I do not see this as a instant messaging thread, I just take advantage when someone replys to reply back as fast as I can so I get this stuff locked in before I go and do it.

if I am running it in the deep I have a boat to go and recover it, if in the shallow theres ALOT of docks and if my radio system has a defect the boat will stop when it hits a dock. Im not going to run this thing far enough to have the range go out I can promise you that,

Can we get back to the boat please? lol
I guess you have it all figured out then, I appologize for offering any advice at all and will have the moderator remove my earlier post.

BTW, RC is RC whether its planes, boats, cars, trucks or tanks, you hold a radio in your hand controlling a vehicle using invisible electrons pulsing through the air and when something goes wrong I will admit the likely result with an airplane is worse but I have seen boats, cars, trucks and tanks destroyed as well.

Have a good day and I'll look forward to reading your thread about re-building your boat after it has ran away, crashed and sank ...................... in another 12 hours.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:16 PM
BigBoats507

I will admit my reply was a little harsh but I do appreciate the advice. my boat will be done in a couple of weeks not 12 hours so I dont know where you get that number. I was tired today so that could be a result to my behavior. I re-read my post and I am sorry I just get worked up when people blaim things on my age (Not that you 100% did but its pretty close). You do not have to remove your post and your welcome to comment whenever you want and whatever. I understand that you are helping and I take your advice I dont know what I was thinking. I do not have it all figured out, that is why I have this thread.

I hope you take my apology, sorry once again. 
Old 08-11-2011, 03:29 PM
hendocap

Its funny how your "stuck" and people are taking their time help you . Your hardly a mechanic as your not even an adult yet, you might be on your way to being a good mechanic, you should absorb what people are offering you, because these are lessons learned and this advice is priceless since you don't have alot of money. Goodluck with your project, I'm out.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:32 PM
BigBoats507

Maybe you can help me with these railss ???

Heres what I got,

The radio boax is exact scale as this, tad bit differenthttp://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Boat-Radio-Bo...#ht_2354wt_882

oh and the servos in the box, are EXACT scalee spent a hour making them!!

Name:	zx70818.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1647776  
Old 08-11-2011, 03:38 PM
BigBoats507

? I am taking advice? but when someone says "I remember when I was 15" Im a different person were all different, I apoligized because I was way to harsh.

Ive taken EVERYONES advice, epoxy hull, new exhaust design, motor recomendation, servo box, clutch, no clutch, cutting my hull, everything you guys have helped me with I have done and learned more than ever.

PS the mechanic thing I work at a mechanic shop so im quallified, I know alot about mechanics

can we all get along, I said im sorry to him because I was a little hard SORRY, I need all the help I can get
Old 08-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Jon DesJardins

Sweet Jesus... Sorry had to say it
Old 08-11-2011, 04:15 PM
BigBoats507

I agree, I really shouldnt have said this, im thinking about a new thread but I dont want to, can someone please help me?? and drop that arguement....

Jon can you give me your opinions on the radio box and rail system ?? im about to build it but need advice if thats good ??

Name:	kh17445.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1647783  
Old 08-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Catalinaflyer

I will admit my reply was a little harsh but I do appreciate the advice. my boat will be done in a couple of weeks not 12 hours so I dont know where you get that number. I was tired today so that could be a result to my behavior. I re-read my post and I am sorry I just get worked up when people blaim things on my age (Not that you 100% did but its pretty close). You do not have to remove your post and your welcome to comment whenever you want and whatever. I understand that you are helping and I take your advice I dont know what I was thinking. I do not have it all figured out, that is why I have this thread.

I hope you take my apology, sorry once again.
No need to apologize to me, I was just trying to help you to possibly save you some money in the long run.

I used to frequent a super-car forum (I have since out grown the super-car and sold it in favor of a dually Ford truck) anyway there was a young man on there from Florida asking all kinds of questions about the settings on a particular BMW model that at that time cost well over US $80,000. He was very proud of the fact that it was his car. Many of the people on the forum questioned him and many more tried to get him to step back and take a breath. He would jump down peoples throat then 5 minutes later appologize for it. Not too many days passed and finally someone just gave him the settings he was asking for to make the car completely insane and at the hands of anyone less qualified that an experienced indy car driver, uncontrollable and unsafe. Low and behold a few days later there was a news artical about a young man in his fathers BMW super-car with his friends going airborn off the end of John Travolta's private runway in Florida killing everyone in the car. He was never heard from on the forum again, in fact his last post to the forum was a mere hours before the accident. No one on the forum knows for sure if it was the same young man but up till that point he was on there every few hours for several weeks.

The moral to that story my friend, I know the boat is not your dads and your not going to kill yourself and four friends with it but when someone older offers advice, rather than become defensive, thank them for the advice and move on. No need to talk about your athletic ability, your height, you long career and many years of mechanical experience. NO ONE here is trying to discourage you from what your doing, this hobby needs more people like you who are willing to take the time to learn how to build something be it a boat, airplane, model rocket, car or whatever. Just think about the advice someone is trying to give and take a minute to let it soak in before jumping in defense thinking anyone is trying to put you down. I have three kids of my own from 14 to 18 so when I say I was 15 once also, it's not putting you down, it's saying that I was at that point in my life where all I had to worry about was the current project and sometimes my patience was not nearly as long as a more experienced adults other obligations. I still deal with that every day with three kids all being teenagers. I get it, I just don't want you or anyone else on here or any other forum to be that "kid" who wouldn't take a minute to let it soak in and went off the end of the runway.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:49 PM
BigBoats507

Thats fine, I see your point of view on this topic. as I said I apologized and you didn't need one, so therefor I have no clue if your mad or good now. anyway I need opinions on the rail system I just designed, I have the supplys to make it but I wanna make sure first.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Justaddwata

rail setup looks like it should work no problem. You could shape them a little more before installing. [link=http://photos.imageevent.com/justaddwata/myboats/266m105fountainakacanoerepower/huge/DSCF5611.JPG]Also they could be cross drilled in areas to again reduce weight a little[/link].
Be sure when you make up your motor mounts that you are able to mount the motor as low in the boat as practical - I usually use a 1/4" spacer between motor and hull for when I am marking where to mount to the rails.

I have not used that particular radio box but it looks OK. I have used The Dr Buck box here - http://www.americanrcboats.com/produ...rods/boxes.htm which is not a bad option though does not come with a servo tray. The enforcer radio box is also quite decent though does not have the screw down lid (I have no issue with the tape down lids) - http://www.whhonline.com/product-p/rb5010p.htm and is a little more budget friendly.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:24 AM
BigBoats507

sorry I have said that wrong, the dimensions of the radio box on the model is the same as that one on ebay, I am not buying the one of ebay I was just using it for th dimensions. Thanks for the help! I will be taking off weight! as for the motor mounting I will be putting ita as low as I can like you said, now im off to buy a motor so I can make the rails! did the dimmensions look ok for it ??

Couldnt have done all this without you guys thanks alot for the help!!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:46 AM
jquid

ORIGINAL: catflyer

I will admit my reply was a little harsh but I do appreciate the advice. my boat will be done in a couple of weeks not 12 hours so I dont know where you get that number. I was tired today so that could be a result to my behavior. I re-read my post and I am sorry I just get worked up when people blaim things on my age (Not that you 100% did but its pretty close). You do not have to remove your post and your welcome to comment whenever you want and whatever. I understand that you are helping and I take your advice I dont know what I was thinking. I do not have it all figured out, that is why I have this thread.

I hope you take my apology, sorry once again.
No need to apologize to me, I was just trying to help you to possibly save you some money in the long run.

I used to frequent a super-car forum (I have since out grown the super-car and sold it in favor of a dually Ford truck) anyway there was a young man on there from Florida asking all kinds of questions about the settings on a particular BMW model that at that time cost well over US $80,000. He was very proud of the fact that it was his car. Many of the people on the forum questioned him and many more tried to get him to step back and take a breath. He would jump down peoples throat then 5 minutes later appologize for it. Not too many days passed and finally someone just gave him the settings he was asking for to make the car completely insane and at the hands of anyone less qualified that an experienced indy car driver, uncontrollable and unsafe. Low and behold a few days later there was a news artical about a young man in his fathers BMW super-car with his friends going airborn off the end of John Travolta's private runway in Florida killing everyone in the car. He was never heard from on the forum again, in fact his last post to the forum was a mere hours before the accident. No one on the forum knows for sure if it was the same young man but up till that point he was on there every few hours for several weeks.

The moral to that story my friend, I know the boat is not your dads and your not going to kill yourself and four friends with it but when someone older offers advice, rather than become defensive, thank them for the advice and move on. No need to talk about your athletic ability, your height, you long career and many years of mechanical experience. NO ONE here is trying to discourage you from what your doing, this hobby needs more people like you who are willing to take the time to learn how to build something be it a boat, airplane, model rocket, car or whatever. Just think about the advice someone is trying to give and take a minute to let it soak in before jumping in defense thinking anyone is trying to put you down. I have three kids of my own from 14 to 18 so when I say I was 15 once also, it's not putting you down, it's saying that I was at that point in my life where all I had to worry about was the current project and sometimes my patience was not nearly as long as a more experienced adults other obligations. I still deal with that every day with three kids all being teenagers. I get it, I just don't want you or anyone else on here or any other forum to be that ''kid'' who wouldn't take a minute to let it soak in and went off the end of the runway.

Here is the story, but by the look of his last post, he too does not get what you said. Maybe as time goes by and he does mature, then he will get it. Thanks Catflyer for the help you gave him, and everyone else. I think though from now on he needs to experiment for himself and see what works and what does not, just the way we learned. Each model got better and better as time went on because we leaned from each build. I look back to some of the crap I built when I first started. I can call it that because compaired to now it was, and at the time I had no clue. But I learned from my elders. I started by flying sailplanes, and my teachers were retired WWII pilots. What a great bunch of guys to lean to fly from! but each one gave me different ideas, and techniques. Some of my knowledge was learned as things I built failed, and that is how we learn. You can ask for advice if you are willing to learn from it, but do not demand it. Sadly that is the feeling I get from this thread.

Later.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4198416&page=1
Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 AM
BigBoats507

Please delete that post or I will be removing the furom I do not accept conversations on this forum. this is for my build not for people explaining maturity nor there lives as to each person is different, I am 16 in a couple days and im pretty mature for my age I will not except this on my forum. If you do not like my forum then leave I guess I dont need you , goodbye

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.