Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

ZIPPKITS BULLITT THUNDERBOAT

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

ZIPPKITS BULLITT THUNDERBOAT

Old 05-16-2013, 04:59 AM
parshallboatworks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: ZIPPKITS BULLITT THUNDERBOAT

ORIGINAL: jvdd

parshallboatworks

I love the cowl you made up for your boat.
I have just picked up 2 Bullitt kits and was thinking of doing something similar, can you tell me where or how you made
these extra bits I tried to click on the photo's but they won't enlarge. I'm thinking of one with a exposed motor and the other similar to yours
as I have a rocket tboat done in the std way and really love her.

any tips or hints will be greatly apreciated.
jim
jvdd,
Thank you for the nice words.. The BULLITT was a great kit all peices went together nicely.You can go to my photobucket page and see tons of pics of build. For cowl, i used the cowl that came with kit and after putting it on the top deck and securing,i got out the dremel tool and cut from just fore of the cockpit across top down the sides (but left 1/4" or so alog deck) then used blue foam board to shape rear section. For the front I cut down at new windshield line and glued the old cockpit part inside,cut a hole in top for scoop(needs to be pretty big to flow lots of air) and also shaped the scoop out of blue foam... then using 30min epoxy layered glass cloth first layer on back inside between foam and old cowl to be sure it was firmly attached to cowl,then layered several cloth layers to match thickness of stock cowl. The rudder is just thin ply glued into foam and glassed up to it to make the fillett.. Then I just finish resined the ply rudder when I resined the whole cowl. I made all the scoops by shaping blue foam and covering with plastic so I could pull foam out after glas and epoxy had cured. I left the foam in top scoop but if I were to do it again I would make the scoop,remove the foam and attach to top..the windshield is a old funtana airplane canopy cut down to fit..after cowl cured and was finish resined i cut the foam block out to save weight..I needed to add a baffle to top scoop as the head needed more air directed over it to keep cool. I had to add a lb. of lead to nose,to ballance(c/g is at rear of sponsons),I WOULD SUGGEST TO put weight in front of sponsons on bottom to keep weight low split the weight and add slightly more in right side go with less than a pound then you can add more to nose after all gear is installed. Hope this helps I will try to post a few more detailed pics of inside cowl also so you can see that. Feel free to ask mpre questions!!

Old 05-16-2013, 05:08 AM
parshallboatworks

P.S. the scoops on back will be necessary to help cool inside of hull,and I would consider a couple more in front as it gets pretty warm in there.. I used the X-FORCE engine and ZIPPKITS pipe and hardware,only addition was a propblast pickup as head was not getting the water it needed and I doubled the lines from rudder to the exhaust manifold. Gizmo makes a exhaust manifold that bolts to cyl. and flange bolts are at an angle so you can remove easier.. I have to pull pipe and engine to change o-rings...pain in the buttBe sure to sharpen turn fin it took a while to get it thinned down and sharp.but well worth the time.I have a 500ml iv bag and can run close to 20min... the stock prop Joe gives you with ultimate hardware combo pushes it pretty good!! hitting around 50+ now...
Old 06-28-2013, 07:43 PM
parshallboatworks

Been a while have not posted.. Bullitt broke in now,first club race was nice,till big brother stepped in... X-force was not really performing well.. changed pipe length,needle settings,strut,prop... well the 4 head bolts were loose!!! tightened them up speced the head clearence (at .015) running great now!!! I will try to get a recent video on..maby have to put the one on where Joe Petro and i had fun in the rain...beware,it ends bad!! SORRY JOE!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ0ve...L4S3zlV44at2YQ
The following users liked this post:
AMXer (02-13-2022)
Old 07-01-2013, 05:34 PM
mbaulfinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice video! was wondering where this project was at!
Old 07-18-2021, 06:02 PM
RobertSchreier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting the Zipp Kit Bullitt Thunderboat

Any other ideas for painting my thunder Hydro... Thought I would use spray cans of paint... With an undercoat. Any comments. Thanks
Old 02-13-2022, 07:16 PM
AMXer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread helped me chose the ZIPP Thunder boat . . .
I started my SLR build Dec28 2021 and It has been a blast the kit was the very best choice for a 1st time builder.
Not only did the base kit come with everything but the Zipp hardware kit is also a must have to build a complete competitive ARTR. Pick yourself a Controller and servos AND
HIT the pond runnin.
The following users liked this post:
mbaulfinger (02-14-2022)