Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 Alternative cooling pump? >

Alternative cooling pump?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Alternative cooling pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alternative cooling pump?

Glad I help.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:30 PM

Aaronie, I'm with you on that one. I always set my boats up that way. Nowadays EPA makes it so much easier, it means you're less likely to cut it off by mistake (longer stick movement for less sevo movement). The failsafe however I usually set to bring it down to an idle, no good having your boat shut down on you in the middle of a lake just 'cos of a little radio interference.

Kev.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:57 AM

Yea Kev, and Arieone, I've got my failsafe to close the throttle when the signal go'es away. I do'nt believe in cable hookups either![:@] It's a 4/40 rod on ALL my setups. As far as havin the boat stallin across the lake because of radio interference. I'd rather have that than some other options. Besides, I've got the ultimate boat retrevial setup. It's a 29" cheapo electric speedboat thingy I got offin EBAY for a song! That's hooked up to a casting reel I've got mounted to the transmitter. Almost makes stallin out kinda fun! Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65767.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	188787  
Old 11-03-2004, 10:15 AM

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDES1&P=ML

or get a prather: PRA9330
Old 11-26-2004, 06:55 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Hey KevB,
Glad to see you're going that route. I'm a newbie here, but not to R/C'ing . Also being that I've never had a lot of $ to blow on my hobby, I've had to be creative and thrifty. First off, I agree that not everyone just throws their boat in the water and lets it rip until they run out of fuel. The first thing I did when I got a gas boat was machine a water-cooling head for my weedwhacker 30cc and cooled it with a walbro pump. Then I learned how hot the header and pipe gets and made cooling devices for those, too. I like the idea of being able to idle in the water and then slowly build up speed. Plus, I made a trailer for one of my boats and was able to tow, launch and reverse it off the trailer using a small motor with a geared one-way bearing/ pulley setup off the nitro motor's clutch. [8D] Worked great and impressed a lot of old-school guys at the lake!
But I also had a similar dilemma with my electric towing/rescue boat. I put a gear drive in it so its single-motored 20" hull could tow my heavy 48" Challenger from across the lake. I found that the electric motor was frying 'cuz of all the torque and not enough speed to flow water thru the coolers. I tried some small pump from a toy for a while but ended up settling on a small 4-6V fuel pump as suggested above. Space was very limited in my tow boat. I also used a separate AA 4-pak which powers both the pump switch and a low-speed reversing switch for a reverse override to my forward-only ESC. [&:]
Just some ideas if you have future need for these. Enjoy your boat. I'm getting a Bonzi G260 soon, too.... can't wait!
Old 12-02-2004, 11:39 AM

Always the same old stinkin people where ever I go, lol....
Old 12-02-2004, 03:15 PM

Old 12-05-2004, 09:26 AM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Feel the Love
Old 10-10-2005, 04:30 PM

ok...everyone has the crappiest ideas that ever crapped in craptown...
i haven't even got my first boat built yet and i've already solved this problem twofold...

1. to shut off your boat, just wire the spark plug (where the magneto swings by) with a red wire and a black wire and wire it to a two way switch and connect a servo to it...that simple...my freaking $20 Toro weedie engine came with it prewired...and I'll have that thing singin with some serious mods that will give me a sweet engine for $50...can't beat that

2. to pump: there are really few alternative ways, check ebay for small DC pond pumps...or just get the pump from Warehouse Hobbies or Marine Specialties ([link=http://www.marinespecialtiesrc.com]Marine Specialties[/link], or [link=http://www.whobbies.com]Warehouse Hobbies[/link]. You should most definitely install a pump on your valuable engine...
Old 10-10-2005, 07:12 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Nice post

To shut of your boat just remove your idle screw and use the "reverse" on your radio, no need to complicate things with additional servos.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:51 PM

ok...everyone has the crappiest ideas that ever crapped in craptown...

Crap Towns: The 50 Worst Places To Live In The UK;
Sam Jordison, Dan Kieran, Idler Magazine