Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

rudders??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rudders??

does anyone know of a company other then marine specialties that makes a duel rudder setup? not that their kit dosn't look good, i just heard that they are heavy. is it possible to buy two rudders(i like the ones from ballintine) and make them work togather, without being an engineer?
Old 08-26-2005, 05:53 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: rudders??

Check [link=http://www.whobbies.com/index1.html]here at WHH[/link], but I think the Marine Specialties is the least expensive dual unit I have seen. I have one on a SK Daddle and it is not THAT heavy, but it is cast vs. machined.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:12 PM

thanks for the info. i would rather spend a few more bucks then have my steering systym break in the middle of a run. any ideas on making two rudders bought seperately work togather?
Old 08-26-2005, 07:36 PM

It really just depends on the location and angles of the control arms. If they are in such a way that you can connect them with a rod so that one will follow the other then it is doable.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:43 AM

The HRB twin rudder set up with the 2 in standoff is not a sub standard piece of work. Any rudder setup with break away rudder pins just might break in the middle of a run for the main fact that you probably hit something in the water, better that than bustung your transon out! I run the HRB rudders with a Phirana surface drive, I didn`t use the HRB strut because I like the single piece surface drive better. Just remember, just because it doesn`t cost a zillion dollars doesn`t mean the cheaper one is junk...
ORIGINAL: littlebri

thanks for the info. i would rather spend a few more bucks then have my steering systym break in the middle of a run. any ideas on making two rudders bought seperately work togather?
Old 08-27-2005, 09:07 AM

ORIGINAL: wiz0852

The HRB twin rudder set up with the 2 in standoff is not a sub standard piece of work. Any rudder setup with break away rudder pins just might break in the middle of a run for the main fact that you probably hit something in the water, better that than bustung your transon out! I run the HRB rudders with a Phirana surface drive, I didn`t use the HRB strut because I like the single piece surface drive better. Just remember, just because it doesn`t cost a zillion dollars doesn`t mean the cheaper one is junk...
ORIGINAL: littlebri

I agree with you wiz, and I like the HBR setup, but you have to admit it is more likely that you will break a cast part vs a machine part and I think it unlikely hitting something with a machined rudder would break the transom before moving, bending or even breaking it.

I think for the cost the HBR is a very nice setup and on these big gas boats the weight is really not an issue at all. It is really not an issue on our 36" SK Daddle w/nitro engine.

Old 12-17-2005, 02:50 PM
My Feedback: (4)

is there a fin on the bottom of the sk daddle? or is that just the sk dadde too?
Old 12-17-2005, 03:26 PM

Yes, you can tie two rudders together. Here is a pic of two Topsecret rudders that I connected together with some aluminum stock and 6-32 ball joints:

http://p086.ezboard.com/fjimsrcboatd...art=61&stop=80

If you have the money, try to get something cnc machined. The cast parts look cheesy (in my opinion) and are of inferior quailty to a cnc machined aluminum part.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:28 PM

PiP does a nice setup, these were/are used a lot in Europe as the offshore class need to turn left as well..

and another setup from Mini Racing Teknik in Sweden..
Old 12-18-2005, 12:22 PM

This is what I carry:

[link=http://www.americanrcboats.com/products/hardware/pantherdual.htm]More pics[/link]

This was designed for our Comet hull, but if you have 7" of transom height, it will work.