Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

What Servos ?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

What Servos ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 12:18 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

First off, there is no such thing as a waterproof servo. Anything that says it's waterproof is more likely to be water resistant.
Now, with that said, I was looking at the specs AMXer posted for the two servos and found it interesting that he listed the speed of the servos. For a boat, speed is irrelevant for a rudder servo. With my 1/8 scale Elam Plus hydroplane, I had to reduce the speed to 50% to make the boat more controllable in the turns. It was just too "twitchy" with the servo set at 100%.
As far as torque, unless your boat has considerable binding in the rudder linkage or issues with the rudder pivot assembly, you shouldn't need anything more than 300 oz-in to turn it. I use a standard sized Futaba S9156 digital servo for my boat's rudder. I run a 4.8volt nicad pack and I have no issues turning it at speed. With a 6volt pack, it will give you 340 oz-in while at 4.8, it will give you 270 oz-in. Is it more expensive than the Savox servo? Probably, at $130 each. Then again, I've never had one fail either
Old 05-11-2022, 08:16 AM
snake07

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
First off, there is no such thing as a waterproof servo. Anything that says it's waterproof is more likely to be water resistant.
Now, with that said, I was looking at the specs AMXer posted for the two servos and found it interesting that he listed the speed of the servos. For a boat, speed is irrelevant for a rudder servo. With my 1/8 scale Elam Plus hydroplane, I had to reduce the speed to 50% to make the boat more controllable in the turns. It was just too "twitchy" with the servo set at 100%.
As far as torque, unless your boat has considerable binding in the rudder linkage or issues with the rudder pivot assembly, you shouldn't need anything more than 300 oz-in to turn it. I use a standard sized Futaba S9156 digital servo for my boat's rudder. I run a 4.8volt nicad pack and I have no issues turning it at speed. With a 6volt pack, it will give you 340 oz-in while at 4.8, it will give you 270 oz-in. Is it more expensive than the Savox servo? Probably, at $130 each. Then again, I've never had one fail either
Hydro Junkie, thank you for the info about the servo, I'm ready to build the SLR Missile so I've been looking for the right servo for throttle and rudder.
I had experience with the Proboat Zelos 48, it used 9kg servo for throttle and 16kg for rudder which is huge, I'm also rebuilding the receiver box using water proof box for it after the throttle servo messed up and lost control after the boat sinking in the water, 16kg servo is too large for the box so I'm looking for alternative, from your post, I think I'm going to try the standard size servo, Futaba S9156 for the rudder.