Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Odds and Ins ???

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Odds and Ins ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:17 AM
bullboy8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odds and Ins ???

Few questions I got for you all if you guys don't mind

1) I am using West Systems epoxy right now to build my wood hulls but darn that stuff gets EXPENSIVE! Any other epoxy I can use that will do just as good as that stuff...but cheaper?

2) Tomorrow I will most like go buy the Futaba 3PM FASST. Before I go drop the money can any of you all think of a better radio to get i.e. less expensive, quality, etc.? Please don't start the radio wars, and I have done the research but I still want to hear what you all have to say because I have the bad luck because when I buy something... the NEXT DAY a newer model comes out.

3) When you put a dry tuned pipe on the header which way is best for the water fittings to face (vertical, horizontal)? I have them vertical right now (in from the top, out though the bottom), but I didn't know about the water climbing up hill 1-2 inches.

Thanks ahead of time for ALL your input!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:34 AM
w3bby

Default RE: Odds and Ins ???

1. I like West Systems, cost is relative. I have heard some good things about [link=http://www.systemthree.com]System 3[/link] and [link=http://www.masepoxies.com]MAS[/link].

2. I use the 3PM FASST, a good radio for the money.

3. I would place them vertical, in at the bottom, out at the top. The water will circulate without any trouble and this placement means the coupler will fill up without any air pockets.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:58 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are other epoxies available for much less than west systems,i got mine from a yacht builders its lloyds approved so you know its great stuff sory cant remember the name.Worked out i got twice as much for the same price.You will find the more you buy the cheaper it becomes,buy in bulk .I can also tell you i dont use epoxy to glue anymore,i prefer to use water proof wood glue then i seal with epoxy afterwards.I know some will dissagree but it works for me and it saves quite a bit,i allways glass the seams on most of my wooden hulls anyway.
Mart
Old 07-09-2009, 03:23 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Have used this guy for epoxy products. Darn near half price as West Systems. [link=http://www.jgreer.com/]http://www.jgreer.com/[/link] I at times assist with projects at a local fiberglass repair shop and we use these products exclusively. Recently replaced a couple transoms in some Proline boats and used this epoxy to laminate the plywood with glass.

WS is a great line.....however they also have a really good marketing department and that's why you pay $100 for a gallon of epoxy and $50 for a quart of hardener!
Old 07-09-2009, 05:29 AM
dicko

I use Boatcote (spelling?) epoxy. Cheap & Strong.