Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

How to make a mould of my cowl?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

How to make a mould of my cowl?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:19 AM
StarscreamF22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make a mould of my cowl?

Hi all,

I really like DIY and I'm now interested in learning how to make moulds, entire boats etc...

But before I can move on to that stuff, I'd like to practice by making a mould of my cowl so I can make a fibre glass cowl myself.

I have looked through previous threads on how to make moulds etc... but I'm still confused. A step by step guide on how to make a mould of my cowl and the exact things I'll need will be fantastic.

Here is what my cowl looks like:

Old 07-19-2009, 10:27 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How to make a mould of my cowl?

Read this its all covered in there.
Mart
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7292440/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm[/link]
Old 07-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Dreamin Hemi

...and to add toMart's www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8761328/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm I think Iadded a little more detail in this thread.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: StarscreamF22

Hi all,

I really like DIY and I'm now interested in learning how to make moulds, entire boats etc...

But before I can move on to that stuff, I'd like to practice by making a mould of my cowl so I can make a fibre glass cowl myself.

I have looked through previous threads on how to make moulds etc... but I'm still confused. A step by step guide on how to make a mould of my cowl and the exact things I'll need will be fantastic.

That's an easy one to copy. What exactly are you still confused with?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:56 AM
StarscreamF22

ORIGINAL: Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: StarscreamF22

Hi all,

That's an easy one to copy. What exactly are you still confused with?

I read a lot through both of your threads prior to making this thread and I'm still quite confused, but for now I'll ask questions only regarding making the mould of this cowl.

In my mind I think, if I want to make a mould of this cowl I'll put resin and fibreglass cloth on and make a strong mould but I believe it doesn't work like that? Sorry for being such a n00b.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Well, that's the basics of it. You still need to plug thoes holes and build some sort of flange or trimming edge. Wax, PVA and then your ready to apply your gelcoat, a nice healthy layer of it. Let that cure about an hour and fill your hard corners with a bog of resin. Layers of fiberglass MAT are applied immediately after that while it's still very wet. 2 layers is a nice application at a time as it won't get too hot as it kicks off.

All these details are found in many areas of these threads we linked you to. Same rules apply to your hatch AND the hull.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:29 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First the decals need removing clean it up with soap and water then degrease it you can use acetone or similar ,plug the holes as said .Id get some melamine worktop and superglue or hot glue your cowl down to it then fill any gaps with plactecine to form your lip trim it to 1/2" wider than the cowl or you can leave it and trim later then you need to get some mould release wax.Put 8-10 layers of wax on buffing between coats follow the instructions on the tin.Once thats done you can then start,first you need some gelcoat,black or grey is best then paint one coat on,let it go tacky then do another,3-4 coats are needed,left to go tacky between each coat .Then you can start laying glass you will need to use poly resin ,paint a coat on the cowl then apply some glass cloth or you can use csm tear some small pieces and use those,dab on with a brush to get it wetted,do one good even layer let this layer go off then start again and do 2 layers at a time till you have arround 8 layers.Let this harden off and its done.Pull this off after arround 12-24 hrs and you have a mould,then you repeat the waxing steps again on the inside of this mould ,gelcoatfirst as before but maybe only 2-3 coats of in your case white then your glass and resin but this time only 2-3 layers of thin csm say 250 csm or use the thicker stuff split as i told you before remember .The glass cloth tape you ordered for your leccy boat would work too for the actual part layer this upfirst one layer then another on top while its still wet,you might need 3 layers but you dont have long to work so for me id either use csm or buy some cloth by the mtr.This is a very basic guide i suggest you really read Scotts thread and how to and all should become clear.Wont be cheap so unless your planning to make lots its probably best to just buy some spare cowls Im not a teacher and im better at doing than telling you how to do it unlike Scott .
Mart
black is the worktop to form the lip seal gaps with plactecine,buy it from any glass suppliers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50522.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1239859