Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:40 PM
yamahatech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help

Hey guys Ive been wanting to get a gas boat. Ive been doing alot of searching on what boat to get and Ive narrowed it down to a couple good boats. Now heres my problem I visited my local hobby store and they have a brand new aquacraft rio 51 display model that has a couple of things robbed off it but supposed to be in stock. well the price is unbelievably low for a brand new boat. The rio is not one of the boats that I had picked out but the price is right. What should I do. I know that pretty much everything on the boat will need to be replaced in time for better stuff and by then I could of had bought the better boat I had wanted. If you guys had the choice would you go for it?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:33 PM
slider46

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: need help

Save your money and buy a good quality hull engine radio and hardware. It will be well worth it when you get it all together and drop it in the water.... There is also the option to buy a good used setup fron someone that is a known builder or racer of boats.... Good luck with your quest for a boat....
Old 07-23-2009, 07:53 PM
bondobuster

Buy the Rio and expect $$$$$$ to redo the drivetrain. Cheaper to buy a RTR from Warehouse Hobbies and you will have more enjoyment.......P.S. the Rio is discontinued....
Old 07-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Paul M

How much are you wanting to spend?
Old 07-23-2009, 08:49 PM
sikR31

If you have a budget and plenty of time you could always build a boat yourself...
Old 07-23-2009, 08:50 PM
yamahatech

Thanks for the reassurance that I made the right choice. Back to the original plan
Old 07-23-2009, 11:27 PM
bullboy8

ORIGINAL: sikR31

If you have a budget and plenty of time you could always build a boat yourself...
I must say scratch building is fun and very rewarding, but a little extra work. Once you start scratchin' you never go back LOL (atleast it would be hard for me to). My very first gassy I scratch built -Ed
Old 07-23-2009, 11:35 PM
DJLaPalme

Since you live in central Fl. give Tony a call at WHH. His company is down in the Lake Placid area I believe. He might be willing to show you what he has to offer in person. There is also Expresscraft Boats in Cocoa, Fl. He builds some nice boats. You could also find the Orlando Culvert Dodgers club and see what they recommend for this area. Dennis
Old 07-24-2009, 06:43 AM
yamahatech

According to there website they are located in lake placid. About a 2 hour trip from my area. I think it would be cool to check out his facility.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:27 PM
planebasher

Cool, Drive over and pick it up, save you some shipping charges, heck he might even tune it for you if he has a lake nearby.

Wouldn't touch a RIO with a 51 ft. pole.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Nosedragger

ORIGINAL: bondobuster

Buy the Rio and expect $$$$$$ to redo the drivetrain. Cheaper to buy a RTR from Warehouse Hobbies and you will have more enjoyment.......P.S. the Rio is discontinued....

no surprise there,crash and burn...

Warehouse Hobbies is a good place to start, but you can build an even better boat yourself.