Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

A few gas questions..

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

A few gas questions..

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:45 PM
stackeddeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few gas questions..

Hey, I'm starting a new thread for my gas questions...I will edit if more come up ( they will)

#1 What are some gas engine brands besides zenoah?
#2 A dumas 32 inch boat kit says a .40 engine would be reasonable...I want 40 mph+.. Can I put a bigger engine on or will it be to heavy? If I put a 1.0 engine would that work? if so where can I get one? ( tower hobbies only has a few marine engines.. can engines like super tigre or O.S. work? Can someone help find some engine for that 32 inch boat?
#3 The dumas hardware kits look bad...Where can I get another hardware kit for a 32 inch gas boat? If I cant can someone put up a list of items I would need to get the boat running? Prop, control linkage, rudder, control horns, engine, fuel tank, fuel line...what else?
#4 Are these Dumas monos decent?
#5 Are glow plugs, glow ignitors,and electric starters needed for gas engines? ( Iknow they are for nitro, btu for gas?)
#6 Please don't bash me for not taking others advice, jumping from boat to boat, or any other silly things a kid would do when first learning about this hobby with money on his hands to spend.
#7 Anyone reading the gas boat forum knows the answers to almost all of these so please, don't leave me hanging guys.
(I will add more as they come)

Edit: What is an average size fuel tank for a 35 inch boat? 8 oz?

Edit:IF there are any electric users read this ass well: How are brushless motors listed as power? what would a .40 gas engine be called as electric ( same power wise )Would making this 32 inch boat cost more with gas or FE?

Edit: Here's a 23 cc engine but it says it is for some Duratrax buggy.. will it work for a boat? and what is a .40 engine 23 cc? 26 cc? less?

Sincerely

Stacked

(Yes, the SIairboat idea is falling through the cracks once I added up the $50 electric starter, clamps, epoxy, glow plug and glow ignitor, etc...the less obvious stuff I was thinking of... Total was coming out at $475..hoping to shave a few bucks off that with this kit...who knows)

Old 08-09-2009, 08:56 PM
stackeddeck

Default RE: A few gas questions..

10 views without a reply    
Old 08-09-2009, 09:22 PM
PEERPSI

ORIGINAL: stackeddeck

Hey, I'm starting a new thread for my gas questions...I will edit if more come up ( they will )

#1 What are some gas engine brands besides zenoah? RCMK, Sikk or Chung Yang, Quickdraw, CMB, Poulin and more I'm sure. Most common would be Zenoah and Modded Zenoah.
#2 A dumas 32 inch boat kit says a .40 engine would be reasonable...I want 40 mph+.. Can I put a bigger engine on or will it be to heavy? If I put a 1.0 engine would that work? if so where can I get one? ( tower hobbies only has a few marine engines.. can engines like super tigre or O.S. work? Can someone help find some engine for that 32 inch boat? Can't help you with sizing nitro motors but 32" is a bit small to go gas, I'm sure it's been done though.
#3 The dumas hardware kits look bad...Where can I get another hardware kit for a 32 inch gas boat? If I cant can someone put up a list of items I would need to get the boat running? Prop, control linkage, rudder, control horns, engine, fuel tank, fuel line...what else? Many of the vendors have kit packages which should include everything you need. Google Ware House Hobbies, Aeromarine Laminates there are others but none come to mind right now.
#4 Are these Dumas monos decent? Dumas has been around for a while from my understanding. The only way that happens is if you make a good product.
#5 Are glow plugs, glow ignitors,and electric starters needed for gas engines? ( I know they are for nitro, btu for gas?) Gas engines work like, well gas engines. They use a carb and spark plug. Most use a pull cord but the older more feeble, picture me ducking, modelers use a belt on timing pully and a battery powered starter.
#6 Please don't bash me for not taking others advice, jumping from boat to boat, or any other silly things a kid would do when first learning about this hobby with money on his hands to spend. If this is your first boat and your budget is limited consider a built it your self kit from Ware house hobbies. Call Tony and tell him what you're looking to do. The price is right and the product is good. I was talking to him about a month ago and he was concerned about getting younger people into the hobby so I expect he'd be more then happy to here from a young enthusiast.
#7 Anyone reading the gas boat forum knows the answers to almost all of these so please, don't leave me hanging guys.

Edit: What is an average size fuel tank for a 35 inch boat? 8 oz? Have a look at Aeromarine Laminates website and browse their parts section to get a feel for fuel tank size.

Edit: IF there are any electric users read this ass well: How are brushless motors listed as power? what would a .40 gas engine be called as electric ( same power wise ) Would making this 32 inch boat cost more with gas or FE? Can't really help there but I will tell you that from a cost of setup viewpoint electric is much more expensive because of the batteries. Electric motors are rated by RPM per volt. You need to look at the hull you're building and choose from there. The fellows in the electric forum can help with that.

Edit: Here's a 23 cc engine but it says it is for some Duratrax buggy.. will it work for a boat? and what is a .40 engine 23 cc? 26 cc? less? That will be an aircooled engine and it can be used but your best bet is a water cooled engine intended for marine use. Never been into nitro engines so I'm not sure how they rate there size.

Sincerely

Stacked

(Yes, the SI airboat idea is falling through the cracks once I added up the $50 electric starter, clamps, epoxy, glow plug and glow ignitor, etc...the less obvious stuff I was thinking of... Total was coming out at $475..hoping to shave a few bucks off that with this kit...who knows) Sounds to me like a Proboat Thundercat RTR might be the ticket for you. Save some money to replace the plastic prop with a metal one.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:27 PM
stackeddeck

Thanks so much bud, checking all that out right now.

Stacked
Old 08-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Ok, for starters, give people a chance to respond. Sometimes a day or so passes with out replies. We see the post, but with all these questions most pass by. Have some time to kill so I'll do what I can, perhaps others will chime in with their opinions.........

Hey, I'm starting a new thread for my gas questions...I will edit if more come up ( they will)

Sikk/CY, RCMK,QuikDraw, Fugi...I'm sure there are a few other low budgets not mentioned

#2 A dumas 32 inch boat kit says a .40 engine would be reasonable...I want 40 mph+.. Can I put a bigger engine on or will it be to heavy? If I put a 1.0 engine would that work? if so where can I get one? ( tower hobbies only has a few marine engines.. can engines like super tigre or O.S. work? Can someone help find some engine for that 32 inch boat?
A .40 should scoot along nicely. Woulden't go more than a .60, however it totally depends on the hull.

#3 The dumas hardware kits look bad...Where can I get another hardware kit for a 32 inch gas boat? If I cant can someone put up a list of items I would need to get the boat running? Prop, control linkage, rudder, control horns, engine, fuel tank, fuel line...what else?
Check out Aeromarine Laminates. They have very nice packages that include absolutely everything you would possibly need, then some.

No personal experience, but can't remember anything bad being said about them. They do come up frequently.

#5 Are glow plugs, glow ignitors,and electric starters needed for gas engines? ( Iknow they are for nitro, btu for gas?)
No to all three. Starts just like a weedwacker.

#6 Please don't bash me for not taking others advice, jumping from boat to boat, or any other silly things a kid would do when first learning about this hobby with money on his hands to spend.
This is question?

Would be a good size. Really whatever you can fit in there with everything else.

Edit:IF there are any electric users read this as well: How are brushless motors listed as power? what would a .40 gas engine be called as electric ( same power wise )Would making this 32 inch boat cost more with gas or FE?
Electric always more. Lipos are very expensive, so are the motors when compared to nitro.

Edit: Here's a 23 cc engine but it says it is for some Duratrax buggy.. will it work for a boat? and what is a .40 engine 23 cc? 26 cc? less?
um yeah.....way way less. Think about this in airplane terms. A .40 glow engine would be good in a 6 lb airplane. a 23cc or 26cc engine would power a 12-14 lb pound plane nicely. Not a glow person so perhaps someone could speak of the differences as in glow boats.

Sincerely

Stacked

Old 08-09-2009, 10:01 PM
HOOTERS racing

a .40 is just under 7.5cc
and a 1.0 is around 15 to 16 cc

cheers
Old 08-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Michagain Crazy Bob

Edit:IF there are any electric users read this ass well: How are brushless motors listed as power? what would a .40 gas engine be called as electric ( same power wise )Would making this 32 inch boat cost more with gas or FE?

Sincerely

Stacked

(Yes, the SIairboat idea is falling through the cracks once I added up the $50 electric starter, clamps, epoxy, glow plug and glow ignitor, etc...the less obvious stuff I was thinking of... Total was coming out at $475..hoping to shave a few bucks off that with this kit...who knows)

AS WE ALL TOLD YOU BE FOR YOUSHOULD JUST GO BUT RTR GAS BOAY AND YOU WILL HAVE FUN RUNNING IT .AND WE ALL KNOW THAT YOU ARE ONLY 14 AND THAT IS WHY WE ALL ARE OUT HERE IS TO GET PEOPLE INTERRESTED IN OUR SPORT . SO JUST GO AND GET READY TO RUN GAS BOAT AND HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!OK LITTLE BUDDY TAKE CARE FOR NOW
Old 08-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Scott Schneider

#1 What are some gas engine brands besides zenoah? RCMK, CY/Sikk, or self modded "Any weedeater"

With todays HP, a 32" boat can go 40+ with a racing 3.5 nitro, or crazy stupid with a 7.5 nitro

#3 The dumas hardware kits look bad...Where can I get another hardware kit for a 32 inch gas boat? If I cant can someone put up a list of items I would need to get the boat running? Prop, control linkage, rudder, control horns, engine, fuel tank, fuel line...what else? Bits and pieces from Speed master or numerous other suppliers

#4 Are these Dumas monos decent? Very outdated tho they had a great low profile 3.5 mono. ( name escapes me tho)

#5 Are glow plugs, glow ignitors,and electric starters needed for gas engines? ( Iknow they are for nitro, btu for gas?) No ... tho electric starter optional if desired

#6 Please don't bash me for not taking others advice, jumping from boat to boat, or any other silly things a kid would do when first learning about this hobby with money on his hands to spend. ha ha .... learning does cost

Edit: What is an average size fuel tank for a 35 inch boat? 8 oz? yep, more is just weight

Sincerely

Stacked

Old 08-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

10 views without a reply
Patience there Grasshopper. Just because there were 10 views doesn't mean that those members had the answers you were seeking.
With a 32" hull you can get close to 50 MPH with a decent hull, engine and good equipment.
OK, you're in the same boat (no pun intended) as most of us were when we decided to try our hand at RC boats. Which one? What for power? Those two alone can drive you nuts picking out a first one so don't feel like the Lone Ranger.
Dumas boats were designed probably before you were born and haven't changed since so by today's standards, they're antiquated. Fortunately today's nitro engines put out a lot more power than they did way back when. A good .21 would get you where you want to go speedwise.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:28 PM
stackeddeck

Scott, thanks checking that out now.

Crazy Bob, your message took a few minutes to understand clearly but I think I got the jist of the message... I must get a kit or hull... Iwant to build my boat that will be a new fun experience for me. Plus, my dad wants me to learn about engines and stuff. RTRis not an option!

Ron..thanks.. I don't want Dumas because what you said.. they look a little outdated.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:30 PM
stackeddeck

You guys are making me feel like nitro now... ughh... Can gas get 40+ mph without getting some 600 dollar engine on a 50 inc boat? I think I'm better off going smaller with nitro..maybe homelite thing will work.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Silent-AV8R

A stock Zenoah is $300 give or take. It can push a large Thunderboat (54 inches long by 24 inches wide) well into the mid 50s. So the same motor in a 43 to 45 inch mono or cat will easily see the 40s and maybe the low 50s propped and trimmed right.

The newer "stock" RCMK motor is about $280

http://www.gizmomotors.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=56

There are lots of hulls out there, pick one you like and go have fun. But Dumas would not be my first choice. I would go with a newer design glass hull, or if you want to build it one of the Zipp Kits hulls.

http://www.zippkits.com/

Their Easy Vee is reportedly a fine running boat and the kit is only $60. And they ahve the right hardware to go with it.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:34 AM
dicko

I wouldn't worry too much about speed right now. You will find that as a begginer a high 30 to low 40 mph boat will be fast enough for you to learn how to control the boat without too many stuff ups. It will also give you plenty of things to learn how to maintain & repair if & when things go wrong. Start at the beginning & work your way up as your knowledge, experience & funds allow. I strongly suggest you go with a zip kit easy vee with a homelite or stock zenoah to start with. That will give you experience in building & you can modify the engine later on to get more speed, before you upgrade to a faster hull if you do indeed like the hobby.