Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

New Boat need some advise

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

New Boat need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:41 PM
nitro_79
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Boat need some advise

Just got this Aeromarine Challenger Pro 43 with a Zenoah 260PUM slight mod, don't know much else from previous owner. Has an Octura P767/3 prop, it's a little beat up, looking to replace with something comparable any suggestions. Also haven't had it in the water yet so not sure what its capable of. Thanks, I'll try and get a pic posted soon.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:16 PM
PEERPSI

Default RE: New Boat need some advise

www.dasboata.com
Old 08-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The challenger 43 is a very different boat to the Challenger 48. I consider it more the wild child of the two. She wakes up easy with a mild zen and does not have quite as many issues with handling that the bigger brother has.

Certainly a 275 would not be a bad prop to run - it is one of the most inexpensive props going (in metal anyway) and works on just about any boat running a zenoah and will get it to within a few MPH of its top speed (if we are talking sport boats anyway).

As already mentioned - Chris (Dasboata) will certainly be able to recommend and supply a good prop. Chris is one of the best guys you could hope to deal with in the hobby.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:08 PM
nitro_79

Thanks for the info, I've got a 280 for a big gas boat (50cc) that I can throw on there just to see how it runs. Looks like that may be too much pitch for this set up, just looking for good power and speed, I'll get it figured out. I just wasn't too sure about the 3 blade prop? I've always used 2 blade except on my 20 mono. Plus a 2 blade is easier to balance. Thanks
Old 08-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You may turn it at a reasonable speed but a 280 is usually a little large for a zen. Costs you nothing to try it
Old 08-20-2009, 08:50 PM
nitro_79

Ok think I'm going to try the 275 and see what happens, Got any suggestions on pipe length etc, it has a Hanson performance pipe, but the header is still long and extends into the pipe pretty far. Also it has the Walbro 257 carb Bonzi shows HSN @ 1 1/8 and LSN @ 2 is that just for break in? This motor has been run, but the needles were at about 1 1/4 on both, so I'm not sure if they just got moved or if that is were the previous owner ran it. Granted he is in a different state with different climate. Thanks for any help, this thing does handle very well and sounds great! Also just thought of this what about temps on these 260's anybody know of a safe range, I always figured the cooler the better on Gas, Nitro totaly different.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Dan S

best place to start on the needles with a 257 carb is 2 on LSN, 1 on HSN.

Dan.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:30 PM
nitro_79

So would you leave the LSN at 2 and adjust the HSN , sorry I'm just have more experience with nitro engines
Old 08-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Dan S

Normally on a 257 the total of both needles should equal 3 (normally).

but you can leave the LSN at 2 and go in or out 1/16 at a time on the HSN, however you may still have to adjust the LSN depending on how the engine runs.

Dan.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:54 PM
nitro_79

ok thanks for the info
Old 08-21-2009, 09:13 AM
FlogginHarvey

I just tuned in the 257 on my Dumas and thnought I had it BUT the transition between the two on the throttle it hesitated and sputtered...Jim (from another forum) suggested the TRANSITION is typically ythe LSN...that saved me a TON of frustration. Thought I would share. Jim also said a "fat" engine will not die...just a lean one.

Good luck...oh, my LSN is right at just a SHADE under 2 or 2 and my high is 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 now after running.