Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

my first cat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

my first cat

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 01:47 AM
benckie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my first cat

In the past ive had trouble replacing radio box and radio seals glued on the the hull or radio box, it seams to replace them when they are glued is a bit of a mission and damages gell coat on the hull or and they are dam hard to get off the radio box once epoxyed on.

When i got this cat it had one alloy radio box seal mount on the radio box it for the rubber seal on the throttle push rod, i thought how cool was that idea, and after reading a reveiw on them here

http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazin...d_Seal_Mounts/

I thought ill buy a few to, so i can replace all the seals on the cat easly with out damage and run some new ones for the engine kill switch.

Shipping from redline to australia was a bit high going from the paypal check out, but i just payed for it and they where here a short time after, it worked out $10 aud for each seal shipped to me.

Im sure if any one else wanted to buy them from australia, they could just email Mike from redline to get a cheaper shipping qoute, ive found Mike from redline good to deal with and has good communication.

I think there would work great with wooden radio box,s and wooden boxs seam alot easyer to drill, i will be using these seal mount son up and comming builds

Old 01-27-2010, 12:01 AM
benckie

Well my servo's for the cat turned uptoday, i was very happy with the price i payed, it worked out $115 aud delivered to my door for both servos.

I purchased them off ebay, since i was in not great rush i payed for them around 2 weeks ago and they got here today, im happy with as i saved around $90 aud from buying these from over seas, but there was a longer shipping time.

The Hs-6254mg for throttle is a tad over kill, but it was the right price, i wanted digital servo's so i can set my futaba 3pm 2.4 ghz radios fail save in the radios menue a set and forget feature, so i did not have to set the radios fail safe manulay each time i turned on the radio and so i wouldnt have to leave my radio on all day, i used to do this, just incase i forgot to reset the failsafe.

So with the radios failsafe set permanently in the radios menue and my modded picco engine kill switch i should be covered with low battery, loose of power and out of range.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:34 PM
benckie

well some more stuff turned uptoday, i got my ccr order.

and i got a order from tower hobbies for a hard tank and some other odds and ends, i will try out iv bags for the fuel tank and ill try out the hard tank aswell to see whats easyer and what i like using.

i can start to get into the build now, just waiting on my dremel, another flexi cable and collard strut bush and the motor from quickdraw then im good to go.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:56 AM
benckie

i got the tracking number for the quickdraw25ht motor and pipe combo this moring [img]images/smilies/addon1/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2010, 10:31 PM
benckie

even though i know the cat ran find with a full mod zen with the motor mounts moved back an inch i changes my mind again lols and i decided to use the stock seaducer engine mount holes, to play it safe, i can always move the engine back if needed, i thought i would just not be slack and play it safe as common sense was telling me the engine needed to be forward.

but i tell you it was a pita to get the blind nuts out of the rear engine mounts and put them in the front stock location holes there is not much room to play with.

ill buy more blind nuts and install them incase i need to move the motor back, atlest if i need to move the motor back ive got throttle push rods and a flexi cabel to suit already.

my qd 25ht should be here by the end of the week, hopfuly so will my new drive shaft and dreml so i can get started properly on the cat as all ive been able to do sofar is mount the iv bag. mill the rudder down 30mm and install the servo,s throttle and rudder push rods.

i can not do to much more untill my dremel, flexi cable and motor and pipe is here

Old 02-02-2010, 01:33 AM
benckie

i got this today in the mail, i was going to use it on another project, but i though might aswell use it on this cat it cant hurt.

The standard one is the short one..

Old 02-02-2010, 09:30 AM
benckie

if any ones is after the the futaba long 2.4ghz fast antennas here is Juices email [email protected]
Old 02-02-2010, 10:25 PM
benckie

well this turned up today so i can make a start on finshing the cat and get it ready for the qh 25ht motor package.

now im packing my pants, ive got to drill

1 x water inlet hole

2 x water out let holes

2 x tach mount holes

1 x radio box alloy seal mount

1 x rx switch hole

1 x antenna mount hole

4 x cowel lock holes

all holes are into thin fiber glass i have to grind out the stuffing tube vally aswell since ive moved the motor mounts to the stock location, but ill wait till the motor is here for that

Old 02-03-2010, 01:25 AM
benckie

well the dremel made light work of that, drilling the hull was so much better then using my air drill, i added a couple of drain holes and installed some bilge plugs.

ive still got to do a cowel lock, install the motor when its here and cut the flexi cable to suit onece that gets here then im ready for some testing

Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 AM
benckie

well i got the last order i need to get the boat in the water.

i finshed of the electrics, installed the pico run the pico wires and tacho wire

its getting there slowly, just need a motor

ill most likly rework the electrics and run some wire protection, but for today that was good enough

Old 02-04-2010, 10:49 PM
benckie

the aussie post has been a bit slack but ive got some news this morning the qd 25 ht is out of customs, looks like no tax.

this is what the tracking number says today

Out of Foreign Customs, February 05, 2010, 1:17 am, AUSTRALIA

another few more working days and ill have it, normaly express items are here by now, every thing was fast on the usa end, just aussie post taking there sweet time.

as big kev would say im excited ;D

Old 02-04-2010, 11:35 PM
dicko

If it comes through Aussie post you won't get taxed unless the total price of the item and shipping is above $1000 Aussie. If you use a courier you can get slugged an inspection charge even if the cost is under $1000. I learnt all that the hard way. On expensive Items I always go regular express post with tracking nowadays. I think the limit on couriered items is only $800 including shipping too, and they are often no better than using a regular postal service!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:51 PM
benckie

using tnt, ems, german post ive never been stung tax for big orders over $1000 aud, using fedex ive been stung, i was worried if the shipping price was added to the total i would get charged, as its happend befor, thats why i got charged with fedx as the total amount for the order and the shipping was included together on the order witch bumbed me over the $1000 aud limet, ive had a friend recently stung import tax on an express usps order i guess its if its declreared and how much, insured orders always have the full decleared amount for insurance, for all the thousands ive sent over seas, and all the big orders from around the world, like the neederlands, germany and the usa only fedex for me was painful, and most sellers will work with you to help you out. i cant wait to get the cat in the water and do loads of trsting, the threads have gotton to be a bit long winded and have dragged on a bit but its getting there, i soon will be able have a play, im hopping 55 mph wont be to hard and that i made the right choice to mount the engine forward in the stock loacation, but i guess on the water testing will tell, i have another racers edge prop comming also i got it second hand it should be here any day now.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:41 AM
benckie

well i wasnt not happy with the thin clear radio box lids i had tinned myself, so i got some more cut, they are tinted and thicker, so i had to file down the inside, but they look better and since its coloured plastic the tint isnt peeling off.

i remounted the tach mount using double sided tap and mounthe the tach on top using the screws and double side tap, since the double sided tape is foam it should help with the vibration.

ive mounted the rx on velcro to help with vibration and to make it easyer to remove and install, all the electrics is complete and about as neat as i can get it for now.

ive run the 3 water outlet lines inside the hull and mounted and lock tited the nuts and used double silicone lines on the water out lests so the lines should not blow off, that was a mission no room to play with.

im going to try and run the water lines like whats in the pictures, but i might have to run the two inlet lines lower yet, but ill wait for the engine gets here and see what i can get away with.

it still looks like im not going to be able to use the coil mount unless i chop up the cowel, im not to keen to do this, but ill see what i can do once the qd engines here and see what the coil relocator is like that qd supplie and i might mill of the coil mount on the engine mount if needed.

ive mounted the drive dog on the flexi cable and im ready to mount the stuffing tube just got to wait for the qd engine, im hoping it will be here by wednesday so i can finsh things off, neaten it up a bit and give it a run.

im keen to get it wet im looking forward to it and im hopping she will run not to bad, here are some progress pictures, just a mock up untill the engines and pipe is here but its sort of how i would like it to keep the engine bay neat.

i have orded some small black plastic vents to cover up the dremel holes from when the engine mounts where moved from the last owner, once the blind nuts and the vents are here, ill install the blind nuts and use the vents to cover up the holes, try to go for a clean neat look.

shes not far off getting wet.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:27 PM
FlogginHarvey

Looking great. I bet not having that motor yet is killing you! it would me for sure.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:55 PM
benckie

yeah its doing my head in im getting restless as its so close, another few days and it should be here, the hard part is the weather has been perfect the last 4 or 5 days, no to little wind as soon as i get the motor i bet it will be over 100 degree,s and blowiing
Old 02-07-2010, 11:09 AM
FlogginHarvey

you bet! Same thing here in fall, 50-60 degrees F and sun in November. As soon as I got the motor...cold, snow, and frozen lakes...ever since. sweet.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:23 AM
benckie

i bet your itching to try out your sx254 & j&g motor combo.

as to true benkcie form ill post up some pickies of the qd 25 ht when i get my hands on it, then ill need a day or two for some more work, and final installation and some time for the expoxy to set, then the first start, then the first run i cant wait, but i have to lols
Old 02-07-2010, 11:27 PM
benckie

the post man was good to me today

and another prop 6717 430c

Old 02-08-2010, 08:15 AM
benckie

i got a heap done today, had to make up a new coil bracket, need a throttle arm as the speed masters ive got are to big, got the tach and pico wiring done, all the water lines done, got the stuffing tube bent up and expoyed in, got the flexi cut to lenght, just got to sort the throttle arm out and the rear pipe mount, then shes good to go, but i might need to order some thing difrent for the throttle arm, so it might be a little off getting in the water yet
Old 02-08-2010, 09:30 PM
apache 56

is it in the water yet... the most photo graphed hull out of the water...........
mate you should get a jod as a parts photographer , just winding ya up mate........

now lets see if you get this hull to the water befor you plan on your next build and deside to sell it of . i think your other half must be pulling her hair out every time you go to grab the credit card.... but with the set up you got now mate dont ever sell that motor or if you do give me a shout , or im shore steve would be keen also....
Old 02-08-2010, 10:37 PM
benckie

HI Mark

shes not in the water yet, i need a throttle lever to suit a 644 carb as my speed master and other throttle levers are to suit 257 carbs, and i need a difrent header at this stage to make the pipe work, im not going to chop the cowel up to fit.

ive pm,ed Steve as i heard a rumor that he might have a 100 degree header lols so i can get it wet, i had a bush for the larger throttle lever but do you think i could find it, i stayed up to 2 am trying to find it.

its to hot to work on the boat any more today, so ill stay inside and just sand and polish up the coil relocator braket i made up as i could use the qd one on the seaducer.

every thing ive brought for the cat was payed out of saving, i dont own a credit card i dont belive in them, so to buy this stuff i had to do over over time at work, but i did sell a new evo and hot pipe to raise some of the moeny for the qd 25, at this stage i dont think ill ever sell the qd not untill ive got my moneyies worth out of it.

i am planing the next build and have some paets already for it, but i want to flog this cat to death and learn what i can out of it and have some fun along the way, i think she is a sexy cat.

p,s you do know i take all this pictures to wind you guys up and drive the wold nuts, there is people silly enough to look as my builds get heaps of veiws and not all of them are mine and there is a heap more pickies to come

once ive dialed it in, witch might take me a while cause its my first cat, i drive up and ill give your omen apache a run for its money, just dont run the ducer over

Old 02-08-2010, 11:30 PM
gtopillado

Benckie,
Cat is looking nicceeeee! Love the color. QD will get it moving, toughest time will be trying to keep it from blowing over at high speeds. Motors are bullet proof so don't worry if you do...just make sure while its in the air you close the carb [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-08-2010, 11:40 PM
benckie

thanks that is my bigest worry right now, blowing it over ill make sure im quick to shut her down
Old 02-09-2010, 04:07 AM
benckie

well im pritty much done, ive still got to add some zip ties to the water lines on the motor, ad some sticker rc slave got done for me.

i had to use my 90 degree header not the 106 i ordered from qd as i didnt want to chop up the cowel, but i have asked to swap the header for 100 degree, i would rather use the 100 for looks, weight and so i dont have to have any thing thru the radio box lid.

also with the 100 degree i can use the antenna hole i drilled into the hull and it will fit the cowel much better, i did have 100 degree header but silly me sold it lols.

im still not going to take it to the lake yet, as its to hot and im not happy with the throttle set up, the 644 has a smaller throttle arm so i had to use some heat shrink on my speed master throttle lever to set the throttle up, i think with any force or vibration it will jsut slip, so i have orded another one it should be here in 10 days or soon i hope.

any way here is it pritty much done for now and tis not the bad looking either.

i might have to crank her up and see what it sounds like on land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.