Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

my first cat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

my first cat

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:01 AM
carbonwhite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my first cat

Hi Shane give me a call say thursday night after 7.30 about sunday
Old 02-14-2010, 09:20 AM
benckie

ORIGINAL: carbonwhite

Hi Shane give me a call say thursday night after 7.30 about sunday

ok sounds good, i sound be up and running by friday/saterday
Old 02-14-2010, 08:47 PM
magnum57

hey Shane,
I just purchased this today. a used aeromarine conquest about 2yrs old. with the cnc'd rcmk motor. moving quick from sport boating to race models. this is a terrible addiction. love it[X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93612.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1379096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97024.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1379097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70424.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1379098  
Old 02-14-2010, 09:00 PM
benckie

Looks very nice, i bet your itching to get that in the water, i was going to buy a nice conquest fromt he states, but me and the seller couldnt work out a shipping option and it was going to cost around 300 uad to get it to me, so i had to pass and thought ill spend some coin on this seaducer.

make sure you start a thread on the conquest as im keen to follow its progess and see how you go with it, very nice buy looks like ti was well looked after and it should go very well with the rcmk in it as i see people are getting 50 to 55 mph out of them with rcmks in them.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:22 AM
benckie

Hi guys

ive been working on the cat on and off over the last few day, added some more vents to the hatch, cut some more off around the spark plug added a rub rail so the spark plug wire wouldnt get damaged added some tubing around the water lines to help from vibration had to grind a couple of holes on the bottom of the engine tub so and around the engine rail on the carb side to make room for the carbs pulse line so the engine would fit properly and just generaly clean it up a bit and reworked a couple of things

the thottle lever turned up today, but i couldnt get 100% throttle, i was sokeen just to get on the water and give it ago even when only been able to get 80% wot, any way i was able to run the boat today for a short time, it was a bit windy with some gust and the chop on the lake was from 1 to 3 + inches (25 to 75mm +), but i thought ill give it a go any way i wasnt expecting to much and i had it stuck in my mind i would have to move the motor back and the first run would be a nitemare., but it wasnt bad, a few more test to see whats what.

i dont like postting any gps readings on the net but i was able to get some half decent speeds for my first cat on its first outing, i had some readings of 54mph when i first put the cat on the water, and after playing around a bit and running the cat a couple of times i had some good results.

today after a few runs i was able to reach a top speed of 58.7 mph (94.5kmh) with the rpm aprox around 17400 rpm while only being able to get 80% full throttle, i know this is where people will say the gps are not acurate, but for me, my wife and duaghter the gps readings where good for me and i had some back to back readings so im happy.

my sendec tack has stoped working the hour counter keeps counting even when the engine is not running and its no longer showing rpm when iddling im not sure if its showing top rpm any more, i have it mounted on a tach mount with double sided foam tape, no bolts and i have the tach mount mounted to the out side of the radio box with double sided foam tape and some bolts that where not to tight, i thought this would help from vibration, the tach wire was plugged into the blackcoil wire on the engine,but it looks like the tach is dead and befor today it was only used for under 3 mins.

the strut ended up at 0.6 inch (15mm) off the set up table with aprox 1 to 2 degrees positive, i was using a prop works west prop 6617-3-400-LL it is way to small in my opinion, i forgot my 6717-3-430c so next time i take the boat out i will set the strut lower put the bigger prop on and start again, and i will make sure im getting 100% full throttle, might bneed another throttle leaver (long story)

any way today we had some fun, i had one blow off around 54 mph (87kmh) i shut the engine down quick and just sat back and watched the show, then a couple of runs later just after the 58 mph (94 kmh) runs it blew off again.

both times it blew off was driving into the wind and happend around the same time as some gusts of wind, it was even windy enough today at times to blow me around and my rescue boat was blown away a couple of times, it is only a 2 person air boat but i had rocks in it to keep it put.

i was amazed with how the cat turned and how it handled, its still most likly running wet (i say it is) and it got a slight lean to the right, ill have to play with set up and make sure all the hardwear is spot on, no matter what i did the qd 25ht would not bog down and it stayed at any rpm you help the trigger on even in sharp turns im impressed with the motor and i know there is more there.

ive got a funny feeling 62 + mph will be easy but keeping it on the water will be the hard part, ill have to make sure i only run flat out away from the wind and not into the wind like today, but i was just playing around today to get used to the cat and see what i could get away with, all in all im happy.

i had fun, my faimly got to hang out at the lake, my daugher got to play in the water (when i wasnt running the boat) and have a swim and i got to have a chat with a couple of guys so a good day for all, if any one remebers my mono videos the lake is about 10 meters lower then it was a few months ago.

here is a couple of pictures

and a couple of vids

first run today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC85CQYvPYU

second run today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g4P2mZO0B0

p.s the gps is in kmh, i still need to do some tweaking, check the hardware for true and sort out the steering and have some more fun and mabe get some bigger props

Old 02-16-2010, 07:15 PM
eengler

NIce work, we gotta get her into the 62-63's.......
Old 02-16-2010, 10:35 PM
benckie

today im going to do my best to get 100% full throttle not 80% im going to put on a bigger 6714/3 430c prop and i might take it out this afternoon, im just spewing my tach is dead after 30 mins of uses i dont want it over reviing
Old 02-17-2010, 11:13 PM
benckie

well yesterday day i had to go to a job interveiw so i couldnt take the boat out, and today is just to dam hot, so once it cools down ill work on the throttle set up and ill take it out saterday if i can as im bussy friday.

i contacted Chrisfrom dasboata aboutthe tach i was told to just send it to sendec and they will replace it, so ive sent a emial off to sendec to confirm where to send it and ill see what happens
Old 02-21-2010, 12:13 PM
benckie

its seams i have run into a couple of issues with the cat.

one is i cut my flexi to short so i cant do much postive trim of the prop lols a newbie mistake and easly fixed.

the second issue is i can only get 80% throttle with my current set up, i have orered a new 644 throttle leaver.

the third issue is, the extra length of the quickdraws iso block and carb spacer puts the carb realy close to the side of the hull and i only have around 0.4 inch or 10mm you can knock off a couple of mm with the cowel on.

i have spoken to quickdraw ( they have the best custoemr serivice i have ever come across ) and it seams 0.5 inch would be the bare minium and artlest 0.75 inch 20 mm would be about the lest you would want togo.

the cat runs fine with a small prop, but once going to a bigger prop the problem seams to be it jsut will nto run and its starving of air/fuel no matter what the carb needles are at.

running with out the hatch seams to imporve this, but im not keen to do this for longer then a few secons, due to water spray, flips an so on, im confindent the engine is fine, and after a few long chats with Mitych at quick draw, i ahve gone over and checked every thing over on the motor and check for hydro locvk, carb issues and so and so on.

ive gone out a couple of times and again today and ive gone realy ritch on the carb, with the small prop 6617/3-400-ll from prop works west shes fine, but wack on the 6717-430c and shes just bogs finds it hard to come on the pipe an does not like to run.

ive tryed difrent strut hieghts, carb settings from 2 out to 7/8 turns out and she just doesnt wat to run, it seams the carb gap from the side of the hull to the carb is just not enough for it the breath.

i knew this would pop up but i want hopping i could get away with it, i was thinking about cutting up the side of the hull to let the carb get air venting from the side of the hull, but soem of the carb will be blcoked still, im not to keen to cut the cowel and hull up as it will jsut suck in water sray and run a hight risk of hydro locking in flips and stuffs.

i have pulled the engine own today, after another flip, the engine to me looks sweet, ill admit my exprernice is wirh air cooled rc engines, but i can not fault any of quickdraws work.

it looks like i can not over come this problem with the seaducer hull unless drasticly cut up the hull and cowel or i put a zenoah or a rcmk evo into the cat, but i want to keep running the quickdraw motr as sofar it seams strong and very impresive and im more the happy witht he motor and quickdraws custoemr service.

they could blow me off cause im in australia, but no i get fast email replies with long detailed emails, not treating like a idot but clearly explaining things to me, i have learnt alot just by listen to what Mitch has to say about these motors and running them.

ive got another trick up sleave, but after talkignt o my wife, it looks like a new build will be come up soon.

i new this would be an issue and it you afect air speed and air velocity enteing the carb, and it mgiht of been silly of me trying to spend 25 mins of run time to see if i can work with it, but i had to try.

i have spoken to a small engine machanic who i trust and hes baslic said no goo i need to mod the hull and hatch to have more breathong space

any way here are some pcitures of what im talking about, the pictures make it look like there is more room then there actualy is, im only a small fellow its hard to get my finger int here to chok the engine to start it

this is what im talking about

imagion with the cowel on

im thinck on shelfing the seaduce cat, or selling the hull and starting a new build, unless i can come up with any ideas that dont increase the risk of sucking in water spray or run i higher risk of hysro locking and at this stage im not buying another motor ills tick to the qd25ht.

its a shame as if the first run was any thing to go by this propject was showing loads of promise.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:17 PM
apache 56

shane if you have a look at some tunnel hulls or hydro`s , thay have the carbs realy close to the hull also or here cowling, what most ive see them do is drill a lot of holes raround the inlet of the carb. i see you have lots of glass surrounding your carb,,, seeing you areday have holes drilled for other things why not dril out some holes on that flat edges in front and below... that alowing more volume of air to be drawin into the carb rather then the carb chocking its self when the hatch is on...that way you still have hatch on and the out side deck is still the same...
mate most guys run with cowling of or only half cowlings..... .. i wouldent wory to much ...just stick with things and thay will work out fine......
ive even seen ofset carb blocks used on hulls to give more clearence for uniterupted air flow......................check out the tunnel hull out board guys mate there carb motors are right out in the elements................
Old 02-21-2010, 10:53 PM
benckie

ill most proberly get the dremel out ahd make some room, ill check out the tunnels.i will also buy another hull and give a fresh build ago