RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   Super G' owners ~~ This is our thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/3395268-super-g-owners-%7E%7E-our-thread.html)

Justaddwata 10-13-2009 03:05 AM

RE: Super G' owners ~~ This is our thread

ORIGINAL: JOddone

Thanks for the Info. Justaddwata. I just want to beat my grandson's Rio 51, thats how this whole thing got started LOL.
Be interested to see how that race goes - have someone record it ;)

If both were stock it would be pretty close. Rio will probably be a little more stable but I would bet the WHH will stay together longer ;)

Dreamin Hemi 10-13-2009 04:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: JOddone

Thanks for the Info. Justaddwata. I just want to beat my grandson's Rio 51, thats how this whole thing got started LOL.
Be interested to see how that race goes - have someone record it ;)

If both were stock it would be pretty close. Rio will probably be a little more stable but I would bet the WHH will stay together longer ;)
That Rio may suprise you. Had mine launch over 30 feet or so in the air after it hit the bank and slam sideways into hard packed clay dirt. Just added some road rash and perhaps a little gelcoat crack, however that little bugger held together. That flange going all the way around really adds strength.

Justaddwata 10-13-2009 04:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Dreamin Hemi

That Rio may suprise you. Had mine launch over 30 feet or so in the air after it hit the bank and slam sideways into hard packed clay dirt. Just added some road rash and perhaps a little gelcoat crack, however that little bugger held together. That flange going all the way around really adds strength.
I was thinking more the motor, drive, and exhaust ;)

Doubledog 10-13-2009 05:38 AM

Dremin',
How hard would it be to remove a few of the strakes & sharpen the keel up? Would it be worthwhile and potientially gain any additional speed? Mine is for sale now but looks like it might be staying with me may as well make it into another test pig.

Dreamin Hemi 10-13-2009 08:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Doubledog

Dremin',
How hard would it be to remove a few of the strakes & sharpen the keel up? Would it be worthwhile and potientially gain any additional speed? Mine is for sale now but looks like it might be staying with me may as well make it into another test pig.
Could definately be done, just in my opinion may not be worth the effort to gain any notable speed. Not sure how wide the strakes are so that would effect how easy the work is. If they are filled in with cabosil bog and glassed over, just need to simply grind them down flat, block sand the area and repaint. If they are not just filled in and actually glassed into the dips of the strake area of the mold then when you grind down the strake, you will have holes that need to be repaired with a backer on the outside and glass repairing from the inside. A little bodywork of course andpainting will complete thejob.

ByronRC 10-13-2009 06:09 PM

Well she starts:D Now all that's left is to make some adjustments to the radio and find a place to run.

skboatman 10-13-2009 10:34 PM

Was out running the G today with my son.  What a great timewe had. These boats just run and run. I told him to bring it in at one point and I tweekd the hsn a little and he took it back out and said " how'd you do that ...it's faster now."  
      He is 10 y/o and d_mn near ran the whole tank. He did hand it over once because he needed to stretch a little.
  Can't say enough about the G   just a good sport boat & never given us any trouble.
  I hope the new guys enjoy the G like the rest of us.
  I have a question....Can any of you help out with trimming a cracker box from WHH ??? 
 Can you tell me if there are ant threads on here about them ???
  Thanks for the info !! SK.

BIRDDOGNIT 10-16-2009 04:21 PM

got my boat out for one last run befoer it goes up for the winter. i mounted a camera on it but did not tighten it down enough because is was too excited and in a hurry to get it in the water!!........FAIL!!!! i still got some good footage,though.

www.youtube.com/watch

Doubledog 10-17-2009 01:38 AM

Like it.

Doubledog 10-18-2009 01:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Look what I dug up this morning for your reading pleasure.....:) Hopefully it doesn't violate any RC-U rules and the mods will let it stay. Especially since the magazine is now defunkt.

February 2003 - this is the article that brought me back into RC boats after a 15+ year absence. Was on the phone with WHH speaking to Mr. C' shortly after reading it.

Doubledog 10-18-2009 01:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Two more pages....

Doubledog 10-18-2009 02:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
two more....

Doubledog 10-18-2009 02:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last page. Glad they came out large enough to read after editing.

Wow, digging through some other old magazines showed the prices of the Zenoah PUM's as being almost $300 for a stocker. Who else remembers those days? Funny to hear folks complain about wanting a better deal on a new one that can be had for less than $200. ;)

skboatman 10-21-2009 11:40 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: skboatman

[quote]ORIGINAL: Doubledog

Oil splatter is the nature of the beast with cannisters. Don't stress it. Take a bottle of degreaser such as Simple Green and hit it with a shot. Take a tooth brush & then rinse or shop rag. Main thing is keep an eye on the bolts and make sure they stay tight. Mine rattled loose constant. Just don't over torque them.

Hi Double D.
You are so right .....2 times now this summer my canister has come loose! I thought it was tight when I checked it but after 5 minutes of run time it all of a sudden got louder !!! lol...
Question.....would you recommend a pipe for the G ?? Is there a way to get it into the hull ?? I just dont like the look of a big old pipe sticking up & out the back !!!!
Thanks for the help !!! Steve K.

cheesewizz69 10-22-2009 09:47 AM

Hi Double D.
You are so right .....2 times now this summer my canister has come loose! I thought it was tight when I checked it but after 5 minutes of run time it all of a sudden got louder !!! lol...
Question.....would you recommend a pipe for the G ?? Is there a way to get it into the hull ?? I just dont like the look of a big old pipe sticking up & out the back !!!!
Steve,

I had the same thing happen with my Super Sport as well. I installed WHH's water cooled header and pipe combo two weeks ago and picked up 2 MPH without any other changes. My boat stays nice and clean now. A big plus is not having those two hot pipes sticking up waiting to burn someone. I can post some pictures tonight if you like.

Leo

gtcuppels 10-22-2009 02:50 PM

It is really great to see this stuff. I currently have over 20 boats and the 2 that I like the most are the super g's . just sittting on the sidelines of this site has been quite an education. The thing about doubledog is he get his moneys worth from all his boats.

cheesewizz69 10-22-2009 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Steve,

Here are some before and after pictures of my Enforcer Super Sport. The hull is the same as a SG with changes to the deck. I could have moved the pipe almost half an inch up but I love the sound it makes when it idles in the water.

skboatman 10-22-2009 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: cheesewizz69

Hi Double D.
Steve,

I had the same thing happen with my Super Sport as well. I installed WHH's water cooled header and pipe combo two weeks ago and picked up 2 MPH without any other changes. My boat stays nice and clean now. A big plus is not having those two hot pipes sticking up waiting to burn someone. I can post some pictures tonight if you like.

Leo
Thanks for the info Leo. I appreciate it !! My 10 y/o doesnt like noise. I have a WHH cracker box with a wet pipe set up and he thinks its too loud. its tough to resecure the muffler while hot. Not much room in the boat on that side!
Over the winter we will get some kind of pipe set up in there. The oil is just too messy and I also have alot of condensation in the radio box b/c of the heat from the canister ! Thanks again .....Steve K.
PS thanks for the pict's !!!!

cheesewizz69 10-22-2009 09:12 PM

[/quote]
Thanks for the info Leo. I appreciate it !! My 10 y/o doesnt like noise. I have a WHH cracker box with a wet pipe set up and he thinks its too loud. its tough to resecure the muffler while hot. Not much room in the boat on that side!
Over the winter we will get some kind of pipe set up in there. The oil is just too messy and I also have alot of condensation in the radio box b/c of the heat from the canister ! Thanks again .....Steve K.
PS thanks for the pict's !!!!
[/quote]

I put the pipe lower on the transom to keep the noise down. It actualy sits just below the water line at idle. Between the mess the canister made and the time we had to wait before we could resecure it was easy choice for me.

You could always add an internal stinger to reduce the noise further just don't forget to drill a hole in the stinger to let the water drain.

Leo

skboatman 11-10-2009 08:08 AM

Hey All .
Who would of thought that November in PA would be this nice ??
My son & I went out to run boats on sunday afternoon. The G is just such a nice quiet easy to run boat. My 10 y/o had a blast...& I did also!!!

<span id="lw_1257858472_0" class="yshortcuts">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po5AWNleJvM</span></p>

Doubledog 11-10-2009 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: skboatman

Hey All .
My son & I went out to run boats on sunday afternoon. The G is just such a nice quiet easy to run boat. My 10 y/o had a blast...& I did also!!!

http://<span id=''lw_1257858472_0'' ...WNleJvM</span></p>

All you need now is another boat (Dad). The extra waves would make for some killer running. ;):) Great vid.

skboatman 11-10-2009 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: skboatman

Hey All .
My son &amp; I went out to run boats on sunday afternoon. The G is just such a nice quiet easy to run boat. My 10 y/o had a blast...&amp; I did also!!!

http://<span id="">http://www.youtub...WNleJvM</span></p>

All you need now is another boat (Dad). The extra waves would make for some killer running. ;):) Great vid.
Hey DDog,
Funny you should say that. I have a crackerbox from whh. I was running and flipped it ( of course) Hit a little wave and it just took off on me. When I cleared her out and got her fired up again I looked down and saw the radio batts low !! I had a spare set , put them in &amp; they were low too. ( bad planning on my part) . We also run in a river out of a 12 ft row boat. Its kind of hard for the 2 of us &amp; 2 boats in just a 12 footer. (I think we need a bigger boat)!!! LOL....
So we run one boat , then go back and get other boat , then run that one !! I said to my son on sunday .... " it would be nice to have a 14 foot to give us more room &amp; we could take both boats with us." Anyway ,,,,all around it was a good day !!!
So how are you making out with the hydro build??? I've been folowing along ...Not sure if I want to build one or not. Its more fun to run v-bottoms in the river b/c you just dont know what the water is going to be like on any given day. ...Steve K.

Doubledog 11-11-2009 03:22 AM

Love to hear those kinds of stories Steve. My buddy and I did that out of our 16ft mahogany classic a few years ago. Pretty much just a closed bow rowboat with an outoard. It served us well and we could run both boats at the same time, but it was challenging. Much easier for single operation. We'd anchor off to the side of the channel or run and hit the waves of the big boat. Good memories.
As far as the hydro build, I've hit a stumbling block in trying to get the sponson covers on. Heading to the hardware store today to stock up on a few more clamps. Hopefully that'll do it.

Hydro Junkie 11-13-2009 07:37 PM

A few, DD??? Don't stop there , get at least 10 or you will be headed back again. Been there done that[:@]

skboatman 11-14-2009 01:40 PM

Love to hear those kinds of stories Steve. My buddy and I did that out of our 16ft mahogany classic a few years ago. Pretty much just a closed bow rowboat with an outoard. It served us well and we could run both boats at the same time, but it was challenging. Much easier for single operation. We'd anchor off to the side of the channel or run and hit the waves of the big boat. Good memories.
As far as the hydro build, I've hit a stumbling block in trying to get the sponson covers on. Heading to the hardware store today to stock up on a few more clamps. Hopefully that'll do it.
Hey DD or Leo ....
Do you guys know of anyone who's tried to solder some pipe fitting on the canister to direct some of the exhaust out of the boat?? I'm talking about the super G. I checked and the pipe fittings fit real nice over the 2 stacks but im not sure of the solder holding up with the heat ???
I love the G but hate the mess in the boat with the oil from the exhaust !!! thanks for any info you can offer!!! Steve K.