Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Nitro Hammer

Old 12-09-2003, 11:20 PM
jguenthe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Hammer

Have any of yall driven a nitro hammer? I've had a couple of electrics, but I want to get into nitro. This looks loke a pretty good boat. Is it a good boat, if not whats a good starter nitro?
Old 12-10-2003, 12:31 PM
yamraptor2cool

Default RE: Nitro Hammer

I never drove one before but I would rather have the nitro hammer than the traxxas nitro vee. The nitro hammer would be a great starter boat for the money. The nitro vee is also good but I had some engine problems with it. Other than that the nitro vee has a return to shore system in it. So when it dies an electric motor will bring it back. The wicked anjel made by Megatech is also a great boat. Goes 35mph out of the box. The megatech engine in that boat is a great running motor. Out of the one I listed I would first go with the wicked anjel, then the nitro hammer and then the nitro vee. That is just my opinion.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have seen several of them run and they really don't look like a bad boat for the price. If you do decide to get one, watch out for 2 things. There has been a problem with broken props out of the box so if you get one, check this out first. Second, the strut and rudder are weak and have a nasty habit of bending or breaking. They are pretty fast for what they are and seem to handle well. If I had one, I would upgrade the prop to a better one, probably an Octura X435 or X437 then maybe shorten the rudder after making a stronger rudder mount.
One thing that others have also recommended. cut a 1" diameter hole in the canopy above the carb so that it gets cooler air. The stock air inlets are in the back, drawing hot air into the carb.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:54 AM
turtletoes

hey, i too am considering a nitro hammer, fiberglass is a bit tougher than the nitro V plastic hull though the V is 7 inches longer. I was wondering what kind of top speed people have been getting and of course interested in performance mods.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:47 AM
KamPuiWong

I got both Nitro Vee and Nitro Hammer.

Nitro Vee :
The speed is 20+ out of the box without any modification.
The cooling system needs to modify.
No water-proof radio box for receiver and servos.
It is not easy to get on plane.

Nitro Hammer:
The speed is 30+ out of the box without any modification.

Yes, the rudder is very easy to break apart.
Buy a couples of spare rudders or replace the original rudder with metal one.

Don't make a sharp turn at full speed, it flips.

Happy boating.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:53 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

They're aren't a lot of hop-ups that you can do to a Nitro Hammer besides what I've listed above. You can try upping the nitro percentage to around 40-45% for a little more speed. If you wanted to get a little more radical, a suface drive setup could be installed to help unload the prop.

Yamblaster, where are you at in Michigan? Next June, we are having a Fun Run probably again here in Kalamazoo or maybe in the Grand Rapids area. Anyone with a boat is welcome to show up and "run wutcha brung". There is a Hobby Shop nearby in case someone doesn't have what somebody might need in case something breaks or my house with a basement full of stuff isn't too far away either. There should be a lot of "small block" boats there with my 4 plus at least 6 others that I know of.
Old 12-25-2003, 03:04 AM
turtletoes

well i ordered a yellow hammer today, they had them on sale plus i got a 20.00 coupon, was just to good of a deal to pass up. i will let you know how she runs soon as the ice goes away. i sold my v for 175, [:-]think this will be a step above the V.