Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 Engine Break In >

Engine Break In

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Engine Break In

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Break In

This is my first attempt at nitro boating, I bought a Kyosho Air Streak with the .15 motor. The instructions are very limited as far as break in of the engine. I have broken in many engines for my aircraft, I was just wondering what is the best way to break in a boat motor? Do you just run it slow and rich in the water or is there a bench type procedure that is required? Also, what type of fuel do you use for break in and running?

Thanks for your advice in advance.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:37 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Engine Break In

Ask a Hundred people how to break one in and you'll get a Hundred different answers. Run it rich using the very same fuel as you will run later then after 2 to 3 tankfuls start to lean it out slowly after every tank. Running it in the water is best although I have run most of mine with a water line hooked up to a garden hose that I made up. Theories abound on how to do it in the water too. Some say to run it wide open on the straights then slow it down while turning to temper the piston and sleeve. You'll hopefully get more answers and they should be other people's favorite ways.