Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Outrigger construction question

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Outrigger construction question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Love2FlyMN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outrigger construction question

I don't know if anyone remembers or not but a while back i started assembling an outrigger. I am nearing final construction on this and i have a question on mounting some things.

I am using an aluminum rod to hold the sponsons and i am wondering how to connect the sponsons to the rods, and also how to connect the two rods to the hull...
The sponsons are fiberglassed styrofoam on the bottom, and on the top and side facing the hulll are wood.
I was just thinking that i would epoxy the rods into the styrofoam and wood and then drill a hole in there and put a screw in there to pin it in place.

But the big question is how to connect the rods to the boat.
It's solid aluminum rod and it is quite stable. Pictures would be awsome if possible...
Old 05-20-2004, 10:15 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Outrigger construction question

The way in wich I install my boom tubes, is done while constructing the sponsons. Epoxy a block of hardwood, inside of the sponsons, at the places where the booms will be connected to the sponsons. After sponsons are complete, drill a 3/8" hole into the blocks at least 1" into the blocks(the deeper the better) Depending on how deep the holes are in the sponsons, cut your boom supports useing 3/8" aluminum rod, to the lenght that about 1-1/2" is sticking out of the sponson. Useing 3/8" aluminum "tubing" not pipe, the lenght less 1/4" of what you want between the sponsons. On each of the tie end points drill and install 1 #6 bolt. Then drill and bolt the tubing to the tub at the location you want the sponsons to be postion.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

pics not the best, hope they help
Useing only the 3/8" aluminum rod will give you unwanted extra weight, and is weaker than the tubing. The rod will break as where the tubing will bend in a crash. Easer to replace.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95987.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	134507  
Old 05-20-2004, 11:10 PM
Love2FlyMN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about connecting the booms to the main hull? so it doesn't slide back and forth
Old 05-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

epoxy blocks of hardwood inside the main hull then drill every thing, hull,(block and boom tube) then bolt up. It is ok if you screw through the hull, but if you use a blind "T" nut inserted in the hardwood before attaching it to the main hull, is a better way.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Might want to consider putting a short length of 3/8" aluminum rod inside the tube at the locations where you drill to mount the boom to the hull. The rod inside the tube will support the tube so it doesn't collapse when you tighten the retaining screws.