Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thinking of getting a boat.

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thinking of getting a boat.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:20 AM
Tricksligger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting a boat.

What is a good nitro boat to get? I have nitro cars/trucks but Ive been wanting to get into boats. I live in Florida so there is plenty of places to run it. Are they ok in Salt water? We have fresh water canals too. Is the miss budwieser boat a good starter boat? What are some things to look for when buying a boat?

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:29 PM
truckstalk

Default RE: Thinking of getting a boat.

i went through the same process as you do in choosing my first Ntiro boat, and i play nitro trucks too.

i originally planed to go with Miss Bud, then Miss LLumar..finally..got myself a Shockwave 36 RTR..it is said a better one to get started with..

good luck
Old 04-10-2005, 04:06 PM
eas___1990

my boat is a nitro hammer its a fun boat but the engine is sometimes a bit touchy
Old 04-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The Miss Bud really isn't a good boat for your first one no matter what anyone will tell you at the hobby shop.
As for running in salt water, you have to rinse everything down including the cooling system after running with fresh water. A little shot of something like WD-40 up in there doesn't hurt either.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Tricksligger

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

The Miss Bud really isn't a good boat for your first one no matter what anyone will tell you at the hobby shop.
As for running in salt water, you have to rinse everything down including the cooling system after running with fresh water. A little shot of something like WD-40 up in there doesn't hurt either.
Thanks for the advice, but do you have a reason why? Have you owned one? What makes it a bad choice? What is a better boat at around the same price?

I have a product I use to rinse the salt water out of my jetski, I'll just use that stuff after every run.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:13 PM
eas___1990

i have heard the same thing around places,I wouldnt recomend the miss bud as a begginers boat
Old 04-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

OK, you asked. No, I don't own one but I have worked on enough of them. They are hard to launch, you have to keep them up to speed or else they'll fall off plane and if you try to get it back up to speed, the prop will cavitate. You can only run them on almost smooth water or else they will take on water easily. On the older ones the radio box leaks and they get cracking around the driveline.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:03 AM
eas___1990

i would stick with prolly a deep "v" for your first boat.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:25 PM
86RedRocket

I've owned two(brand new, not used) Shockwave 36's, and have not been impressed w/the quality. The first one I had looked better than the second one, but the finish was coming off the hull after only 1/4 tank had been run through it![>:] The people at Horizon were great and sent me a brand new replacement. The quality from only looking at the second one was worse than the first one.[&o] I sold it before I even put any fuel in it. I like the boat, but I'm not impressed w/the attention to detail and overall craftsmanship. Call me picky, but when I buy something brand new, I expect a little more than what I received. Ron has pointed me towards the new Aeromarine Mean Machine .18. It's comparably priced, same speed, and a lot better quality as compared to the 36 Shockwave from what info. I have gathered.