Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 Is it worth it??? >

Is it worth it???

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Is it worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 06:20 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth it???

My teacher brought this in today. Its a dumas deep V 40 It is 32inches long and 11inches wide. It has a k&b 40. The exhaust goes straight up out of two stacks. The only thing I don't understand is there are two holes on the exhaust flange. Why is that??? The carb is black so I thought maybe it had exhaust throttle at one time The radios are futaba and are old shool!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are a tan color. One is a two channel and the other for a plane. Also it came with a bunch of engines. A O.S. .40 plane engine, and about 2 others, there are also some like .049. Do you think it is worth $75.00????
Old 05-16-2005, 06:51 PM

Default RE: Is it worth it???

does it need any repar work done to any of the stuff on any thing?
Old 05-16-2005, 07:05 PM

The boat need epoxied and painted. And the hardware put back on and some other little things.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:26 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Something to remember ....
The price one pays for an item , all depends on whether or not , that person thinks it was worth it .
Take some of those OLD engines ( nitros ) that sell on EBAY .... to me, those things are not worth a dime , yet they sell in the hundreds . ( atwood's )
Also , if it DID have the exahust throttle , there was a LOT of those that "screamed" a LOT faster than the oridinary , throttled carb only version .
Nice part about the K&B , is that you can STILL get parts ... ( talking main engine components ) and if you can not get the original , you CAN get swappable , replacement parts .
Now , if you add the parts up seperately , and are a little more specific on condition and which models , then YES , he definately got his $75.00 worth .
Shoot , certain 049's sell alone for $20.00 , and up .
Then the OS 40 , pending on condition , could also sell upwards to around $40.00
Then you have them "old school" radios .... there ARE collectors out there that would buy that and they usually would sell for around $15.00 up for them each .
Then the hull .... again , pending on condition , sell for around $25.00 up
Then you have the hardware on the hull .... and of course the K&B 40 ( assuming you are referring to the K&B marine engine , and not an airplane engine that has a KOOL KLAMP slung onto it ) , these will also sell , and sell for around $45.00 up , again pending on condition .
Soooo ..... add up the numbers ....

Now , the part where you said ---

The exhaust goes straight up out of two stacks. The only thing I don't understand is there are two holes on the exhaust flange
Is this an airplane engine ? sounds like it
Old 05-16-2005, 09:41 PM

It has a water cooled head though, I took the head off and the piston is shaped really wierd. It has a splash type guard by the intake port. Here is the carb that is on it. What do I do about the holes in the exhaust???

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDG46&P=7
Old 05-16-2005, 09:49 PM

Would the boat be faster with a surface drive???
Old 05-16-2005, 10:53 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, you are talking vintage there. The engine sounds like the K&B .40 Torpedo that was popular back in the `70's. Does the carb have linkage that runs to a plate that swivels on the exhaust? I haven't seen one of those pistos in a long time. A LHS had one in their close-out bin. The Futaba came from the same era.
$75.00? Not really that bad. The hull is the same one that Dumas has been selling for eons. A 'glas hull would be a better buy that the wood version.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:55 PM

No, just those two holes. Can I cover them somehow????
Old 05-16-2005, 11:06 PM

Check out this site on your engine. <www.mecoa.com/kb/>Splashs guard was an option. Perry carbs were installed on really old models. Hope this helps. Sorry, can't help with the exhaust sounds cool though.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:09 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Think we need to see pics of the exhuast. Might be the old canister type exhaust mufflers that have 2 holes.. Here's a pic of the new 3.5 OB's with the can muffler, older K&B inboards also used these.

If the exhausts looks like that, don't plug them up...