Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 Its to cold outside >

Its to cold outside

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Its to cold outside

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its to cold outside

Its winter now and and for a couple weeks now I wanted to take the boat out and run it. I have a shockwave 36 and when to much cold water goes through the engine gets cold and bogs. Can I leave the top off and let it air cool or do i still need some water? One time I think I heard of a method to restrict some of the water through the engine but I dont remember it.
I would still like to run once in a while in the winter....
Old 01-26-2006, 12:08 AM

Default RE: Its to cold outside

some run their boat with plugged water inlet..

i think try to monitor ur engine temp after running few rounds and check if ur getting the right temp. if not start plugging ur inlet and monitor just make sure u don't overheat it.

how cold in ur place? coz the coldest i run my hammer is 42 oF water temp. with 32 oF ambient temp. and my engine reaching 220 oF with bigger water cool inlet than stock one,,no problem except for 2 things my fingers got numb even with globes and second i need to bring the boat inside the car and blow the heater to warm the engine before i start it...

we're getting 50's on saturday so my whole day will be in the pond....just teasin'..
Old 01-26-2006, 08:16 AM

Take a ball point pen apart and use a peice of the tube that holds the ink. Push it down into your water line and hook back up to the fitting. I haven't tried it myself but it would definately restrict water flow. Or, you could get a tiny brass valve from a plumbing supply store (Home Depot maybe). This would allow the water restriction to be adjusted so you can find just the right flow for the water temp you're running in.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:55 PM

Try this. I use a plastic tee from the auto parts store that is in the winshield washer hose/tubing section. Use the smaller size tee and splice it into the outlet water line straight through AFTER the head. Thread a 4-40 screw down the stem (middle) of the tee so that seats at the bottom and blocks off the straight through section. You can now use the depth of the 4-40 screw to adjust the water flow through the head. [sm=wink.gif]
Old 01-26-2006, 02:43 PM

Cheap and light way to make a valve. Good tip Skoda!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:31 PM

Thanks for all the tips...nice and cheap too.
Thats pretty good running in that temp water with good temps. Here in milwaukee we have seen ice come and then go but im not sure of the water temps. Last time I ran it was 10pm (I have lights..red/green/white) and the air was just starting to get in the 50s im guessing. Something I just thought of is my tuning but pretty sure it was on last time I ran. Well hopefully this weekend I can figure something out.
Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:44 AM

not to stray too far,but what should the head temperature be
Old 01-27-2006, 11:59 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be that because the air is cold and more dense that the engine is asking for more fuel? Have you tried richening the mixture? That scenerio sounds more likely than cooling water being to cold.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:56 PM

Very true! Those little nitro engines are starved for fuel this time of year until it starts to warm up.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:08 PM

You can by a cheep valve from a pet store they use them for fish tanks I would put it on the out let so the pump always has water in it

Question do you need a water pump for the motor or do they have one on them I don’t no anything about marine motors?

What size boat would put this on? http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg1721.html
Old 01-27-2006, 05:06 PM
My Feedback: (20)

id put that motor on a 3.5 size tunnel hull, thats what they are primarily used on, But i have seen a bunch used on deep vee hulls...