Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Cat 31

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Cat 31

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 09:18 PM
toyotatruckin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Cat 31

Just an idea here on the carb thing. couldnt you just port out the stock carb a little,that way it would flow more air...
Old 05-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I go to work for a lousy 8 hours and come home to a ton of postings!
OK, what you have to consider between Octura and Prather props is although the numbers look close, the Octura props have a progressive pitch and Prather's have a constant pitch, like swimming open-handed flat or cupping your hands. The "M" versions have less tongue on the props which a lot of prop modders remove from the "X" series.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:01 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: toyotatruckin

Just an idea here on the carb thing. couldnt you just port out the stock carb a little,that way it would flow more air...
I have already polished the intake on both sides of my carb to a mirror finish. Other than looking cool no substantial gains.

Finished the new header. It’s all on now. I just tapped the muffler pipe for the fuel pressure nipple. I was even able to put a locking nut on the back so maybe I wont have to worry about it ratteling loose. I need to go to the lhs and get some more fuel tubing now though.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:25 PM
quickwedge

Hi,I'm new to RCU and enjoy reading forums great info and ideas.I will share my experience in air flow.I polish the exhaust side on all my nitro and gas engines and leave a satin finish on the intake side to help tumble or mix the air and fuel.this is the same thing I do on my heads on my race car.

ALWAYS-STAND ON IT.!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2006, 08:17 PM
Thundercat 31

how's every one here doing.
well stared using the 225 prop works really good.
a friend of my was using a 235 prop and 60% nitro let me tell you that thing wanet to fly man. super quick.
the engine sound so strong when he give's it gas.
i couldn't use the 235 becasue it wasn't getting up tp rpm quick enought . but 60% nitro can make that go away.
has eny one here tried that yet??
Old 05-31-2006, 09:22 PM
toyotatruckin

Quick question I have some 1200mah1.2v 2/3a IB cells for a reciever pack how many should i use 4 or 5?
Old 05-31-2006, 09:30 PM
JPriami

toyotatruckin
Use 5 cells to get the 6 volts. 6 volts will give quicker servo response & torque than if you were to just use 4 cells
Old 05-31-2006, 09:37 PM
Thundercat 31

would eny one here put this engine in the cat http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInf...uctid=OPS88761
Old 05-31-2006, 10:22 PM
JPriami

I imagine you could. I'd rather have a .45 myself. Mmmmm torque
Old 05-31-2006, 10:23 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

No. I would'nt anyway. That engine cost almost as much as the TC31!!!

I did not run the stock 215 and radar it. I ran a 220 sharp and balanced from ron olsen's tool box and I got the same speed readings (29-31 maybe 32, forgot ) With both fuels. 20% and then 65%. The same speed!!! I was thinking it would go faster, but I dunno.

Then I switched to the M-445. That prop is the one I pulled 37 with as we all know. I think for the most part the smaller props and lower nitro fuel work out well. But with the extra nitro a bigger prop, such as the M445 can be used. Not sure though cause I only ran the M445 with 65% fuel. Damn. That would have been a nice test had I known the prop was gonna work out so well.

The point is, I wish I had tried more of rons props at the fun run Now thinking about it, I should have tried bigger props and checked speed to see what they do. Maybe some other time....I just think that maybe there is a even better prop out there. I tell you what, rons got a bunch of props!!!!

I cut my rudder tonight. No pics, my new camera is'nt here yet. I took 1 and 1/8 inches from it. I sealed my fuel tank, header pressure fitting, moved my pipe back, greased my flex cable, check over the rest of the boat....I'm all set and ready to go!!! After work tomorrow i'll get some time to run. O yeah, I replaced my spektrum with the stock AM radio [&o] I'm hoping the pro version thats on it's way will have better range. Cause as of right now, spektrum is NOT for boating. Unless you like to play fetch with your TC31 all day!!!

ORIGINAL: Thundercat 31

would eny one here put this engine in the cat http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInf...uctid=OPS88761
Old 05-31-2006, 11:06 PM
toyotatruckin

Thanks nitross I broke up my 8cell pack and made a 5cell hump pack the triton is cycling it right now I hooked it up to the triton to cycle the pack and it was at 6.48v so it should work great, less weight and less space in the radio box to boot! Hay I just got to thinking, Im going to have to do some plug swaping or should I leave the deans pigtail on the pack and add a pigtail for the reciever?
Old 05-31-2006, 11:53 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: brownvhf

Wave Walker do you have a model number on that mac header pipe as I need one and that one sounds a lot better than what were running now. Jerry

here's the tuned pipe, got it from tower hobbies....it say .19-.35 engine,,,didn't say model no. though...kinda blurdy the one pic...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24564.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	469732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12764.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	469733  
Old 06-01-2006, 09:19 AM
JPriami

ORIGINAL: toyotatruckin

Hay I just got to thinking, Im going to have to do some plug swaping or should I leave the deans pigtail on the pack and add a pigtail for the reciever?
toyotatruckin,
Well that’s up to you really. But if you’re using the stock radio system or one with a similar port for power to plug into the receiver you might be better off to leave the stock type battery plug on the battery pack. I say this for one reason. Let’s say you go out boating and your on/off switch goes bad on you and it won’t turn on. Well if you still have the stock plug on the battery you can plug the battery directly into the receiver and you won’t have to quit boating. This will get you by till you can get home & fix it.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:21 PM
brownvhf

Wave walker, Thanks gonna order one of them. Also ordered a Eagle Tree system, the recorder, that I can download info to my laptop to see how everything is running. Right now don't know if the changes are really working or not. Getting the speed sensor, rpm and temperature sensor. Thanks again, Jerry
Old 06-01-2006, 01:22 PM
captaincheerios

Also if there is anything else I should order for this boat before I run it please let me know. Besides prop,fuel etc. Thank you very much.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:35 PM
toyotatruckin

mabey a prop balancer, top flight is a good one, if you dont already have one. I put auto bailers in mine There about 6$ each from offshoreelectric and cable grease...
Old 06-01-2006, 07:02 PM
JPriami

Today’s episode of what to do lead to tinkering on the TC31 some more while waiting for the parts I ordered to come in.
Figured I would make a ram air scoop on the top of the canopy. After a few hours of trying to figure out what I wanted to do this was the result. Now fresh cool air is forced down to the carb directly from outside. It’s not sealed to the carb directly. I left the outer walls of the tube on the inside going down to the carb open so that water that might collect in there can drip down the walls and lessen the chance of it going into the carb.

Now I noticed my hull clips are breaking off. I drilled some holes where the old clips are. I will break them the rest of the way off. Then I am going to try and bend up some small stainless steel rod & make a new clip that has a small nut & bolt that holds it onto the canopy. Should work out nice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49995.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	470089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94811.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	470090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90910.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	470091  
Old 06-01-2006, 08:35 PM
wave waker

nice one Nitross, what material u used for the scoop?..i'm thinking bout that, it makes the engine breath easy.

capt.cheeerios, u can get extra flexcable, rudder( i broke 2x of this)...and always bring it in ur toolbox.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:43 PM
JPriami

The material I used was some light weight black plastic pipe with a 90 degree elbow on the end to go down towards the carb. Not like water pipe or anything like that. Alot thinner. I think it came off of one of the cars we restored here once. Might of been used in the inside of the car for heater vents or something. I found it in the bottom of the tool box & said. Humm.. This looks interesting. And I also used a coupler that attaches to the carb. It was the blue silicone exhaust coupler that comes on Traxxas nitro products. Like the T-Maxx etc. That’s on the carb pointing up and the scoops elbow is pointing down over that. Anyways can’t wait to try it out. I just finished fixing my tabs on the canopy. So alls good now.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:06 PM
toyotatruckin

You can use a plastic spoon to make a cowl. I figured I had my boat done when the hood latch broke off. This boat should have been marked Almost ready to run, Due to all the poor quality of the manufacturing...Im waiting to start it for the first time so I can see the stringers all break loose, stuffing tube come out breaking the hull, and the head pop off the motor....But on a brighter side once everything gets fixed it SHOULD be a good boat...
List of the parts broken..

Stringers on one side broke loose
loose fit on the gromet for the drain AND no plug
Flex shaft had to be taken back due to being fraid at the motor end
hood latch broke
radio box was broken loose
loose nuts and bolts
had to align the motor with the stuffing tube
Oh almost forgot needle settings were off

For a brand new from the box boat You shouldnt have to fix anything...
horizon said did you buy it from us? You might take it to where you bought it. LHS said "sorry to hear that" LHS did replace the flex shaft...
Old 06-02-2006, 01:14 AM
Thundercat 31

guys does this come with the engine or rtr?
http://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/servlet/AI?ARTN=2151
Old 06-02-2006, 05:06 AM
HobieHernandez

Hey Thudercat go check out the auqacraft that tower has for 100bucks
http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub0001-main.html
Old 06-02-2006, 05:51 PM
JPriami

Well I just couldn’t stop. I added onto the ram air system I made yesterday. Now it’s a completely sealed system down to the carb. So all the air the scoop catches gets rammed directly down into the carb with no blow off. I was really hoping my flex cable would show up today but it didn’t. Sucks because I want to test the new header & ram air. Hopefully this weekend.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:33 PM
HobieHernandez

My New TC31 is ready for action
Old 06-02-2006, 08:35 PM
JPriami

where did you get the decals?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.