Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Cat 31

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Cat 31

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 11:40 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Cat 31

If your dad is beating you and your boat is turning on late, you might want to try shortening the pipe just a little at a time to see if that helps to get you up to speed a little faster.
I've got a prop right here in front of me that my son found in his room that might be the ticket. If DodamissC shows up Memorial Day weekend, we'll have to toss it on to see what it does. Until then, it will be my secrret.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:06 AM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually pushed my pipe away from my header a bit and seen more power & an extra 2mph. Just used a little longer silicone coupler and put the header & pipe in on the ends so there is a gap about an inch or maybe a little more between them.

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

If your dad is beating you and your boat is turning on late, you might want to try shortening the pipe just a little at a time to see if that helps to get you up to speed a little faster.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:01 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Hey ron, does anyone run RC trucks or anything at the FunRun too? Or is it just boats? At this point, I am planning on showing up. Sounds like a great time. Is there any other RC Boat legends besides you from RCU going to the FunRun, ron?

I've got a prop right here in front of me that my son found in his room that might be the ticket. If DodamissC shows up Memorial Day weekend, we'll have to toss it on to see what it does. Until then, it will be my secrret.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:06 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: DodamissC

Hey ron, does anyone run RC trucks or anything at the FunRun too? Or is it just boats? At this point, I am planning on showing up. Sounds like a great time. Is there any other RC Boat legends besides you from RCU going to the FunRun, ron?

Doda, i know OB NUT is goin,,,btw, lemme know if ur goin to bring rc truck i might bring too if i got more space,,,this gonna be a blast
Old 05-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Ron Olson

As long as there isn't a frequency problem, you could bring them along as I feel that boats should have priority. We did have one person last year that brought along a T-Maxx plus I've got one or two people that are supposed to have their Hydro-Foam/Hydro-Planes flying/floating. Besides, I can't legally prevent anyone from running anything at the park, I only have a DNR regatta permit so that I can legally set up buoys and that doesn't give us any exclusive rights on the water.
Legends? Me? I wish. I'm dumber in person.
I don't know who is going to show up for sure, Jim Irwin was going to make the drive last year as this is his home town but back problems prevented him from showing up. I've contacted some of the local hot-shots like George Dalecki who has held a few FE records in his time. Last year he trashed out his 90 MPH FE 'rigger just before the event but he did bring along a killer little brushless mono that he designed.
We have the event because of Mark as it started when he was making a trip up here to see relatives and was looking for a few people to fun boats with.
The LHS about a mile from the lake will be holding races that day also on an asphalt oval.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:34 PM
FE_Chris

Sweet, Wavewaker, i'll be bringing my decked out Mayhem ST, so I hope you have something fast to keep up with it when our boat engine's are cooling down I might bring another RC maybe something electric, not sure. But my TC31 obviously and the Mayhem ST are in it for sure. Also ron, I run Spektrum so the radios are the last thing I am worried about. Fresh battery's are all I need, with running spektrum I only run the RC for about 30-45 mins before I recharge them. Spektrum loves to have full batts or I get glitches []

i'm stoked. This sounds great!!! I hope we have some time to look over my TC31 and test some props and such. I hope to have my buddy's VERY small GPS with me so we can track top speeds. You and wave waker are more than welcome to use it that day too.

I have not been running my TC31 latley, it's been rainy and kinda cold here. Plus, I just traded some things and got 3 new RC's!!! So at this point I have more RC than radio's and more RC to work on than I know what to do with.

Anyone else coming? I know it's a drive for some, even 2 hrs for me. But hey, when it comes to boats it's worth it.

I got first dibs on ron's mystery prop

As long as there isn't a frequency problem, you could bring them along as I feel that boats should have priority. We did have one person last year that brought along a T-Maxx plus I've got one or two people that are supposed to have their Hydro-Foam/Hydro-Planes flying/floating. Besides, I can't legally prevent anyone from running anything at the park, I only have a DNR regatta permit so that I can legally set up buoys and that doesn't give us any exclusive rights on the water.
I don't know who is going to show up for sure, Jim Irwin was going to make the drive last year as this is his home town but back problems prevented him from showing up. I've contacted some of the local hot-shots like George Dalecki who has held a few FE records in his time. Last year he trashed out his 90 MPH FE 'rigger just before the event but he did bring along a killer little brushless mono that he designed.
We have the event because of Mark as it started when he was making a trip up here to see relatives and was looking for a few people to fun boats with.
The LHS about a mile from the lake will be holding races that day also on an asphalt oval.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:50 PM
FE_Chris

O and dude, I see in your sig you have a TS2. BRING IT!!! I have wanted one for a while. They are soooooooooooo SWEET looking... and the fact that JD answers questions people have about the boat he designed is just icing on the cake.

ORIGINAL: wave waker

ORIGINAL: DodamissC

Doda, i know OB NUT is goin,,,btw, lemme know if ur goin to bring rc truck i might bring too if i got more space,,,this gonna be a blast
Old 05-18-2006, 10:53 PM
FE_Chris

Triple POST!!!

Ron, are there gonna be transponders their? Maybe even just for fun? or is it just gonna be a water track and thats it. Cause if there are 2 TC31's at the FunRun, we gotta race'em. I'm not scared on the least bit Running the boat track sounds like a riot. I hope there are no collisions!!!! [X(]

Old 05-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Ron Olson

Yes, there will be a rough course set up but nothing fancy. I try to set it up around the weed bed. There should be lots of OB tunnels showing up as there usually is.
We did have one close call 2 years ago between a .12 'rigger and a Gas Cat but that was about it. If you haven't raced before, you can get used to running in traffic. We try to keep the same sized boats on the water at the same time unless the people are brave enough to run with bigger boats.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:15 AM
FE_Chris

Thats me lol

Yes, there will be a rough course set up but nothing fancy. I try to set it up around the weed bed. There should be lots of OB tunnels showing up as there usually is.
We did have one close call 2 years ago between a .12 'rigger and a Gas Cat but that was about it. If you haven't raced before, you can get used to running in traffic. We try to keep the same sized boats on the water at the same time unless the people are brave enough to run with bigger boats.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:51 PM
wave waker

Ron, can i run my nitro hammer in fun run? coz i just love this pocket boat....she might not as fast as the other boats but she got something to show-off

Doda, i'm bringing my headache i mean warhead and xxlosi an old one but still kickin'*****....i have triton charger u can charge ur batt hope connector will fit.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Ron Olson

It's open to any boat, subs not advised because of the weeds just under the surface. You wouldn't be the first one there with a Nitro Hammer.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:22 PM
FE_Chris

I'm going. For sure. I looked at the weather and they say at this point there is a 60% chance of showers, which sucks, but a lot can change in a week.

Ron, whats the deal with the rain. Do you guys still run in the rain? i'm not scared!!! but I would not want to drive 2 hours for nothing. i'll be watching the weather closley

Man I hope it's not raining...rain runined my last day off that I was suppose to go racing my truggy on. RAIN RAIN GO AWAY!!!!!!!

hey waker, whats the losi XX? buggy? i'm hittin it, it's late here.
ORIGINAL: wave waker

Ron, can i run my nitro hammer in fun run? coz i just love this pocket boat....she might not as fast as the other boats but she got something to show-off

Doda, i'm bringing my headache i mean warhead and xxlosi an old one but still kickin'*****....i have triton charger u can charge ur batt hope connector will fit.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:37 PM
Ron Olson

To get this thread back on topic, I just started a new thread on the Fun Run.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:53 PM
wave waker

well, i was able to ran cat31 after more than a week hibernate due to bad weather here,, btw, i was able experiment and gather some technical numbers since my cat31 is hooked with engine temp and rpm sensor, i used x440/3 prop, rpm running 20,000-21,500, engine temp. 170, water temp 66 oF, temp. 70 oF, humidity 40 oF, windy though bout 7-10 mph and got a speed of 34mph in multiple attempts.

changed prop to prather 225, with same parameters above and prop height and angle rpm went down to 19,000-20,000+ and speed down to 29 mph.

so far i like using the 440/3..my goal is to reach the dynamite peak rpm of 28,000 or speed of 40 mph+, hope i got a lot of prop to test....i can't wait goin to fun run and dig Ron and OB NUT's bowl of propif they'll allow[sm=confused.gif].

i'l try to post pics next time...i'm just get crazy of this numbers.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 05-21-2006, 09:55 PM
FE_Chris

yeah, sorry....I get side tracked when I start talking about ANYTHING Rc.

Wavewaker, your the man. Is your X440 balanced and sharpened? cupped?

To get this thread back on topic, I just started a new thread on the Fun Run.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:35 PM
toyotatruckin

I have another post here but figure i might as well just post here since its a TC31.
By the way Thanks for the help on the auto bailers guys I went with 2 since its a cat and ordered them from www.offshoreelectrics.com fast shipping, they are octura bailers and have a lip that seats aginst the hull so it was easy to get them even...One more thing i found that is kinda cheep on this boat is the hatch clips I have one starting to break and havent even used the boat yet... Here is a picture of the bailers....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35347.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	465332  
Old 05-22-2006, 11:38 PM
wave waker

nice job in autobailer...i didn't put mine yet..

with the hatch clip i cut and shape a lexan plastic just like a hatch clip and glued it on top of it for reinforcement, i used the electric tape glue so that it's flexible so far getting stronger, my 2 cents.

i sharpened, balanced and polished alittle my 440/3 prop not perfect yet needs more work, btw,my first time doin this though

i'm cutting the rudder lenghtwise to make it 1 1/4 width and curve the tip tomorrow, the size of the rudder is overkill for me, causing a lot of drag...hope it makes it better[sm=lol.gif]
Old 05-24-2006, 09:01 PM
toyotatruckin

I have to ask this How much space should there be between the drive dog and strut with the washer The factory setting on mine was about 1/4 between the washer and strut which i figured to far, so I cut it back to 1/8 between the washer and strut does this sound alright?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:36 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: toyotatruckin

I have to ask this How much space should there be between the drive dog and strut with the washer The factory setting on mine was about 1/4 between the washer and strut which i figured to far, so I cut it back to 1/8 between the washer and strut does this sound alright?
my understanding bout spacing is that during high rpm the flexshaft shorten due to twisting and if no enough space chances of breaking the flexshaft, for me i would go 1/4, with this it will not cause too much effect to performance.. just be more in safe side though...

well, i did my mod rudder, test drive yesterday, i would say boat still stable and controllable and feels light to handle..everything was goin all right and tried push more until i flipped[sm=drowning.gif], retrieved the boat, dry it and run again put x442 prop clock 35 mph, i'm happy first time to break my 34mph, until i decided to make one round before stopping, while doin a close pass i think boat hit something and it beared towards the bank the next thing i heared strange sound that you don't want to hear,,yup! boat hit the bank rolled end up upright though, after checking few scratches in the hull with a broken rudder again!! [:@],,but still i have a great time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97769.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	466160  
Old 05-25-2006, 11:40 PM
sima

I was able to get a consistent 33 mph with the 225 prop, that is in the little pond where i took the video, if it could stretch its legs, mayby a bit better would come out of it.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:45 PM
sima

Thundercat31, the 235 prop is NOT going to work properly, get over it, it is too big and that is why it does not get on plane quickly as it should, in the prather prop line i think you can`t go wrong with 220 and 225.Plus that 235 is going to put a lot of stress on your engine and driveline.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Ron Olson

One thing that you can do to keep from breaking of your rudders is to remove the bottom bolt on the rudder bracket and drill another smaller hole for a 2-56 or 4-40 brass or aluminum bolt and lock nut as they are softer than the stainless steel bolts. This way, if you do hit something, it will shear that bolt off and not damage the rudder too bad or break it off. It will steer like crap if it shears but you won't lose it.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:00 AM
sima

Good tip Ron!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:44 AM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

Well I called horizon hobby about my broken flex cable & lost prop. They were good about replacing the flex cable. But being as I had a different prop on they wouldn’t replace what I was out on the prop. But I didn’t figure they would do that anyways. I was telling the guy that I noticed there are 2 flex cables listed under the parts listing on the website for the TC31. One is listed as a Prather one. He said that they should all come with the newer Prather ones. And that the older flex shaft was like the ones that break like on the shockwave 36 boats that had problems till they started shipping them with the updated cables. Well anyways they sent me a new one out. I compared the new one with the broken remains of the one that I pulled out of the boat. And the new one is different as I figured. The winds of cable that go from the engine collet to the shaft part of the cable are larger diameter wire on the new one. The old one had smaller gauge wires. I hope this new one hold up. I hate losing props that I buy or work on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.