Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Cat 31

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Cat 31

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Cat 31

This had been an ongoing problem with all of the gas and nitro powered ProBoat boats. Why the problem hasn't been addressed and something done about it a long time ago is beyond me!
I've used Aeromaring and Hughey flex cables and have never had a problem with either ones.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:18 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wave Waker,
Hey since you have all that equipment for telling RPM’s & stuff try something for me please? Try playing with the length of the exhaust pipe from the header & see what happens to those RPM’s & how it makes your boat perform. I have my pipe about an inch away from the end of the exhaust header. I pushed the pipe back further to do this. So now more sticks out the back. I noticed that when I did this it seems to increase the power of the boat. With it at the stock distance I have some slight trouble getting the Prather S225 prop I had up to rpm quickly. It would hesitate for a few seconds then go. But when I pushed the pipe back it was really responsive and the boat went 2 MPH faster by means of GPS. So try that out and tell me what happens. I don’t have a way to measure RPM’s like you have got yours setup so I’d like to know what is the best length to try and use.

I also have almost finished a new aluminum header. I got the manifold made & cut out to match the port. And bent some ¾ inch aluminum tube & got it welded in place. Now all that’s left to do it drill & tap some holes for the manifold bolts. I don’t have a tap that small so I just haven’t gone to find one yet. Looks good though. I can’t see worrying about any restriction in this header.

I’ll try and take a few pics of the new header I’m working on & the thing I was talking about on the exhaust pipe distance.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:39 PM
JPriami

Here are the pics I just took to describe what I posted about above.
The header on the boat in the pics is the stock one. And the pics just showing a header is the one I made.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15066.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	466876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68164.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	466877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35165.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	466878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35238.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	466879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju13252.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	466880  
Old 05-26-2006, 06:03 PM
toyotatruckin

I would bet that your header will flow better than the stock header.In my opinion they crimp the stock one to much plus you are port-matching it...So I would say good job so far!
Old 05-26-2006, 07:20 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Nice Header!!! [8D]
Old 05-26-2006, 08:48 PM
tntjz3

NitroSS, is your old header up for sale? If not, where did you find the aluminum tubing?
Old 05-26-2006, 09:38 PM
JPriami

I don’t plan on selling my stock header. I like holding onto stuff like that for spare parts. I got the tubing from one of my ham radio antennas. I was really big into ham radio a while back. The antenna was hit by lightning and I salvaged most of the tubing for whatever I would happen to need it for later. It’s some thick stuff too. I might try to find a tap the size I need this weekend hopefully. I’d like to find a new pipe to try out as well. Only ones I have looked at are the macs pipes. Anyone know of anything else that would be good to try?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:12 PM
tntjz3

Here, this looks like a good one. [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000327825&I=PRAG1210&P=K]Pipe[/link]
I'll trade you a brand new tap for your header?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:22 PM
JPriami

I'll have to check that one out. thanks.
Nah i would still like to keep the org header as a spare. tap souldnt cost much. I have a set already just not one that small
Old 05-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Ron Olson

Tntjz3, seeing how you are new in here, please take some time to read the RCU policies as this site's rules are different from many others that you may be a member of. One thing that it states is that there is no for sale, trade or want ads in the forums. Please refrain from doing so in the future. Thank you.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:41 PM
tntjz3

Sorry, I did not read that. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:40 AM
JPriami

Hey Ron Olson,
I have a question. Someone stated earlier that there should be a 1/4inch gap between the end of the strut & the drive dog for the prop. Because of the cable flexing & shortening a bit on a load at high rpm. Is that true? Because from looking at the cables to me the way that it is wound it looks like when spinning it keeps the cable tight so it wouldn’t shorten. If I leave a gap of a 1/4 inch won’t it just make it easier to wear out that bushing in the strut from vibrations & other factors? I figured it be best just to butt the drive dog up to the strut & have a fiber or plastic washer between the 2 parts. Let me know I'd like a second opinion on it. Not doubting what someone else stated just curious now.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Ron Olson

Hey NitroSS,
The gap is needed for cable wind-up and won't have any affects from vibration. I'd be more worried about the out-of-balance props that come with the boat than the extra gap at the strut.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:02 PM
JPriami

Thanks Ron
Old 05-28-2006, 11:25 AM
brownvhf

I'm new to the group and to Nitro boating and glad Ron Olson pointed me toward this forum. I purchased my t31 2 weeks ago and having a pond I can run in out my back door. I've run 9 tanks of fuel through it so far.
A lot of the little things people have suggested I have changed and so far haven't had any problem with the flex cable that some of you have had. Just repaired the connector last night for the pressure line off the header pipe to the fuel tank and will call Horizon this next week to see about a replacement for it.
The boat was a little hard starting out of the box but after resetting the high and low speed settings it fired up. I ran it quite rich the first 4 tanks of fuel and then have been leaning it out and havn't had to make any adjustments to the rudder as it was set very well in the box. Only about one inch of the rear of the boat is in the water with no cavitating at all.
Didn't like the radio system at all so installed a spectrum dx3 that I had a extra receiver here for. Its been a very stable boat and not sure of the speed, just guessing but think probley in the low 30's as I think its running as well as it can get, so far.
Thanks to the many posts that have been made for this boat as that has made it a lot easier to set this boat up. Jerry Brown, Clio, Michigan. the town where they sometimes forget to put on the map.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:33 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: brownvhf

I'm new to the group and to Nitro boating and glad Ron Olson pointed me toward this forum. I purchased my t31 2 weeks ago and having a pond I can run in out my back door. I've run 9 tanks of fuel through it so far.
A lot of the little things people have suggested I have changed and so far haven't had any problem with the flex cable that some of you have had. Just repaired the connector last night for the pressure line off the header pipe to the fuel tank and will call Horizon this next week to see about a replacement for it.
The boat was a little hard starting out of the box but after resetting the high and low speed settings it fired up. I ran it quite rich the first 4 tanks of fuel and then have been leaning it out and havn't had to make any adjustments to the rudder as it was set very well in the box. Only about one inch of the rear of the boat is in the water with no cavitating at all.
Didn't like the radio system at all so installed a spectrum dx3 that I had a extra receiver here for. Its been a very stable boat and not sure of the speed, just guessing but think probley in the low 30's as I think its running as well as it can get, so far.
Thanks to the many posts that have been made for this boat as that has made it a lot easier to set this boat up. Jerry Brown, Clio, Michigan. the town where they sometimes forget to put on the map.

Hey Welcome!! another TC31 driver, owner..sounds like ur having great time..where in Kalamazoo fun run yesterday, 3 tc31 owners went there but only 2 boats ran, Dodamissc clocked his tc31 37mph and getting more stronger....i put high temp silicone to the pressure fitting.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Ron Olson

DodamissC showed up for the Fun Run yesterday and tried some props plus another person cam with a T-Cat so we learned a few more tricks. I'll let him tell you how the prop testing went. Let's just say that my prop box is one lighter today!
Old 05-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Ron Olson

Hey, I kinda know where Clio is as my wifes brother and his brood live up there.
Why aren't you over at the record trials at Thread Lake in Flint right now? You're only a couple of minutes away!
Old 05-28-2006, 01:00 PM
JPriami

Yesterday I couldn’t find anyone to go run with me. So bringing the paddle boat was a bit out of the question being I had no one to help me load it up & all. So I had to figure a way to get my boat back if it stalls out in the water. I have heard of people using fishing poles. And I even considered using this cheap electric boat as a retrieval boat. But it’s cheap & doesn’t have reverse or even a proportional radio for that matter. So I leaned towards the fishing pole idea. I took just the lower half of the pole since it’s smaller & easier to put in my corvette (limited space). And for getting the line out to the boat I took a tennis ball and poked 2 holes in it about an inch apart. And put a hoop from an old key ring through it to tie the line to. Then after doing some testing in the pond at the house I noticed it was hard to hook the boat just right. So I had an idea. I took some small stainless steel welding rod and made a tow hook that I can take on & off when it’s needed. The tow hook mounts to the top bolt on the rudder brace. And stands vertically 10 inches with a small hook shape bent into the end of it at the top. And what this does is grabs the fishing line when it crosses over the boat. Works great! Now all you have to do is throw the ball over the boat and reel in the fishing line and keep it crossed over the boat. When the ball hits the hull it will either spin the ball into the back towards the running gear or just stay on the side. The hook at the top keeps the line connected to the boat and all you have to do is reel it in slowly for a safe recovery. Anyways it works pretty well if you have to go solo & don’t have a paddle boat or something to go get your boat if it stalls.

Also I noticed my fuel tank seemed to be leaking yesterday. So I checked for air leaks and seen it was just where the lines connect. I sealed them all up and put tie wraps on them also to help them hold. It’s all sealed up & ready to go again now.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:04 PM
wave waker

[quote]ORIGINAL: NitroSS

Wave Waker,
Hey since you have all that equipment for telling RPM’s & stuff try something for me please? Try playing with the length of the exhaust pipe from the header & see what happens to those RPM’s & how it makes your boat perform. I have my pipe about an inch away from the end of the exhaust header. I pushed the pipe back further to do this. So now more sticks out the back. I noticed that when I did this it seems to increase the power of the boat. With it at the stock distance I have some slight trouble getting the Prather S225 prop I had up to rpm quickly. It would hesitate for a few seconds then go. But when I pushed the pipe back it was really responsive and the boat went 2 MPH faster by means of GPS. So try that out and tell me what happens. I don’t have a way to measure RPM’s like you have got yours setup so I’d like to know what is the best length to try and use.

I also have almost finished a new aluminum header. I got the manifold made & cut out to match the port. And bent some ¾ inch aluminum tube & got it welded in place. Now all that’s left to do it drill & tap some holes for the manifold bolts. I don’t have a tap that small so I just haven’t gone to find one yet. Looks good though. I can’t see worrying about any restriction in this header.

I’ll try and take a few pics of the new header I’m working on & the thing I was talking about on the exhaust pipe distance.
[/quote

Nitross, i got a chance to check my tuned pipe yesterday coz i broke the rubber coupling but was not able to move back because i got no room to push more back, did u cut either the tuned pipe or header?...btw, i have a new mac tuned pipe to test, i'll let u know...

saw the header u made that's pretty neat...the stock one is an eye sore.... what size are u planning to tap the header? coz if u can go with the bigger size and bigger bolts n' nuts the better the more solid...
Old 05-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Ron Olson

This is for Thundercat 31 so don't anyone else read this! We got 37 radared MPH out of an Octura M-445 prop. Another mod that can be done for a hair more speed is to lop off 1" off the bottom of the rudder. Whose boat was it (the old grey matter is still a little fried from yesterday) put a fuel tank in the right sponson to help get the CG further back which seemed to help the ride and cavitation problems. I still feel that the strut is still a little high also, that it needs to be dropped down another 1/16- 1/8 inches.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:50 PM
FE_Chris

Wow, I just got up and out of bed and it's 2:45!!! Yup. 37MPH!!!!!!!!!!! I tried ATLEAST 6 of rons props (his son helped me out some cause ron was talking most of the time ) EVERY other prop I tried cavitated or did not make anything seem faster on the radar. But as soon as I put that M-445 on it, no cavitation and I did a single pass at 37MPH. I was having range issues with the spektrum radio system, so I was not able to go out more than about 150-200FT with out having to turn around and come back. What a great time I had at the fun run. Thanks the all the help ron, your the man sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-28-2006, 02:02 PM
FE_Chris

O yeah. These guys also introduced me to Wild Cat 65% nitro fuel!!!!!!!! Thats what I was running. Funny thing though, I ran the 20% wildcat with a 220 prop, radared 30-31MPH. Ran 65% and got the same. Not quite sure what the deal was, I was expecting more speed. bUt then again, the M-445 is a bigger prop than both of the props I was running. So I think with the higher nitro I was maybe afforded some more tourqe to push it.

M445 (1.77") 1.4x1.77=2.478" 3/16"

S215 (1.60") 2.5" Pitch

S220 (1.72") 2.6" Pitch

Anyway, I don't know how I am gonna get this 65% from now on without it breaking the bank.... (50 Bucks a gallon at tower!!!!) But I think maybe OB Nut will help out with that The 2 gallons I have now will last me a little while. Anyone got any other questions? Just ask....Cause this guy is gonna have the first 40MPH TC31, here that wave waker!!!!!! Better step up your game there buddy!!!! lol
Old 05-28-2006, 03:25 PM
FE_Chris

it's to late in the day today for me to go out to the pond. But, I am almost thinking that I am gonna try to move the strut up more till it starts to cavitate. Every other prop I tired cavitated and would give no more speed. But that m-445 gave more speed and it did'nt cavitate at all. The boat just shot right off and ran!!!! Now if only I could drive it more than 2 feet with the spektrum..........dam spektrum.

Am I wrong in assuming the more you bring the strut up the faster the boat should run? To a certain extent I mean....it just seemed like with the stock prop all I could do was lower it cause any higher and the boat would not plane out. I dunno......Either way, i'm happy. After a port match and the rudder being cut, maybe some "liquid Glass" wax on the bottom of my hull I am sure i'll hit 40MPH. All I have is my buddy;s GPS unit.....So i'll have to snag that from him sometime soon and check it out.
ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

This is for Thundercat 31 so don't anyone else read this! We got 37 radared MPH out of an Octura M-445 prop. Another mod that can be done for a hair more speed is to lop off 1" off the bottom of the rudder. Whose boat was it (the old grey matter is still a little fried from yesterday) put a fuel tank in the right sponson to help get the CG further back which seemed to help the ride and cavitation problems. I still feel that the strut is still a little high also, that it needs to be dropped down another 1/16- 1/8 inches.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:02 PM
brownvhf

Hi Ron and thanks for the welcome wave Walker, and just working here at the house as it never seems to get caught up anymore as not enough time in the day.
Did run the boat today and the patch job on the header pipe worked well but still have a problem in that the boat seems like it runs out of fuel when it still has 1/8 inch of fuel in the bottom of the tank. Not sure what to try next as have replaced the fuel lines and also put clamps on the ends of the fuel lines. The boat runs fine until it acts like there isn't any gas left in it.
Was hoping to go the the trials at thread lake though as last time I was there I had two electric boats and that was 20 years ago. Time sure does have a habbit of flying by, Jerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.