Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Hammer replacement engine

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Hammer replacement engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 12:17 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hammer replacement engine

Over easter I took my hammer up to a lake for some hammer time. Long story short it ended up throwing a rod. I took the engine apart to inspect the damage. It will need a new piston and liner, new conrod and new front and rear bearings. I checked tower and these bits come to $50. I was thinking about a new engine and I saw the O.S 15 and 18 marine engines. These were $130ish and $160ish.
Has anyone used a different engine in their hammer? Has anyone used the O.S engines? Is it worth changing engines?
Old 04-17-2006, 07:32 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Hammer replacement engine

Look again in Tower as the OS .18 marine engine is now on sale for $99.99, search for stock number TR2686.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id imagine thats the none pullstart version...So if you want a pullstart than make sure to order the right one, also O.S. engines run great...One of my favorite brands as far as nitro engines go...It will easily have noticably more power than stock, I dont know how much of a bigger prop will fit the boat, my hammer ep has little clearance, you may have to go a little bigger or steeper for props with it...
Old 04-18-2006, 03:26 AM
GRANT ED

I guess Ron would be the best person to answer this. Would I be able to buy the .18 engine and add this
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGMN6&P=Z
use the pull start fron the original hammer engine and have a cheaper .18 pull start?
I would prefer to use a pull start just for ease of not having to lug starters and the like around.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:01 AM
Ron Olson

That might work as I've found out from messing with my son's Nitro truck that a lot of the pull-starters are interchangable. Whether or not yours will, I can't promise anything.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

I dont believe so, the crank in the regular one is probablly missing the little Pin on the back that the starter shaft keys to to turn it over, so till you got that and a crank itd be cheaper to buy the pullstart version, I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure thats how those are... I know some car engines are like that, saw an article on converting to bump start and they said cut the little pin off, so id assume all non pullstarts do not have the pin, you could call OS up and question it...acutally look at the parts for it on tower and see if the cranks are the same if you can see the back...
Old 04-19-2006, 03:34 AM
GRANT ED

I checked tower and both engines use the same crank. I have decided I'll get the .18 and make the hammer pull start fit. My dad is a tool maker so its easy to get things machined up if needed.
My next question is what would be a good prop to use? Also can someone recommend a place to buy it from over the net as hobby stores that sell boat parts in my area are virtually non existant.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:08 AM
Ron Olson

Here's a link for some Hobby Shops in Oz: http://www.ampba.asn.au/linksfr.htm
The problem is getting a prop that will fit the shaft and under the boat as you can go larger. An Octura X-435 should fit with no trouble.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:30 PM
eas___1990

I still got my .18 os buggy engine in mine(heheh long time no speak srry bout that)
Old 04-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Ron Olson

eas, it's about time that you got your butt back in here! Don't be a stranger and post more often. I'll let you off this time.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:36 PM
eas___1990

ya im thinking about buying a new hull and taking the hardware out the nh hull but i dont know whcih boat to get. Was thinking about one from climate models but i dont know if my gear would fit in the hull i was looking at http://welasercut.com/lasercart/inde...products_id=73 heres a link either this one or this next one http://welasercut.com/lasercart/inde...products_id=70 thanks for any help
Old 04-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Ron Olson

Note that both kits are made for electric's, not nitro. The nitro boats are built to handle the power. If you must look at Peter's site then look at the Firefigher .12 , Tom Moorehouse's design.
Also keep in mind that there will be a lot of parts on your NH that you can't use so plan on unloading the hull and running hardware but at least you have something to work with.
I've got another link for you worth checking out: http://www.idmracingproducts.com/ .
Old 04-20-2006, 05:45 PM
eas___1990

yeah i was looking at the firfighter but was shure it would be big enough i realize the others were electric my dumb though heh
Old 04-20-2006, 05:48 PM
eas___1990

also i was planing on putting a surface drive from fine design, not a real expensive one but oe that will get me by